Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Okay. Why wouldn't a family with both parents be better than a family with only one parent?
    Why would a family where one or both parents is an abusive shitbag be better than a family with one loving parent? Why would a family with two parents who send their gay teen away to brainwashing torture camp be better than a family with one parent who accepts and loves their gay child?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Why would a family where one or both parents is an abusive shitbag be better than a family with one loving parent? Why would a family with two parents who send their gay teen away to brainwashing torture camp be better than a family with one parent who accepts and loves their gay child?
    That's a extreme example. Yes shitbag parents do exist.But there are shitbag single parents as well who do those things as well.

BANNED

The question wasn't "Why wouldn't a dysfunctional family with both parents be better than a family with one parent?"

The issue is the quality of parenting, not the quantity.

BANNED

The issue is the quality of parenting, not the quantity.
    No. I've been expressing my desire for more positive examples of two parent families. The issue was that I believed there were more negative examples of dysfunctional families and relationships than there were positive and I want to see more positive represented. Because, like I said, I believe a two parent family is the healthiest scenario, as opposed to one parent homes. I think it's a given that I'm asking for two parent families where both parents love and care for their children, like I do in mine. I asked for a reason why this positive, not dysfunctional, example of a family wouldn't be better than a single parent family.

I see what you're saying, I simply disagree.

Also, you should be aware that the, "both parents at home is the best environment for children" is an argument often used by bigots to try and prevent same-sex couples marrying and raising children.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

The most important thing about any debate is taking someone's point and immediately reinterpreting and presenting it as the worst possible extreme in order to make them look terrible and yourself righteous.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

One could argue an advantage of the two-parent household where one of the parents is a shithead at least has the option of the other parent being a not-shithead who can remove the child from the situation, whereas a child stuck with one parent who is also a shithead has no such safety net.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Hmm interesting, i dropped the book after the crossover, well thanks for correct me.
    One of my favorite issues was one where Jessica's friends convince her to have a girl's night out ( although I think Clint Barton was there too). Roger agrees to stay home and babysit. The joke of the story is that while all her friends are having a good time, Jessica can't relax cuz she's so worried about what might be happening at home.

Invincible Member

I dropped right around Secret Wars so I know I've missed a lot. I'd like to see more of that.
    Unfortunately, the comic was cancelled soon after. So in a way, the stable family unit was the "happy ending" for the series. My big fear is that whenever they bring back the Spiderwoman series, the new writer will simply toss out these developments so he can do his own thing...

BANNED

Also, you should be aware that the, "both parents at home is the best environment for children" is an argument often used by bigots to try and prevent same-sex couples marrying and raising children.
    It shouldn't get to the point that people are made afraid to say that there are benefits to having both parents fully involved in the love and care of their offspring. It seems to me that we can't call anything good without it being offensive to someone somewhere. We literally can not argue that it's good for both parents to care for their children. I wish I could have had both my father and my mother there for me full time. I saw my mom occasionally and I only remember seeing my dad once or maybe even twice while I was growing up. I can help but think having them both raise me the way I'm trying to raise my children would have been ideal. I can't not say that because someone else is offended by it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Unfortunately, the comic was cancelled soon after. So in a way, the stable family unit was the "happy ending" for the series. My big fear is that whenever they bring back the Spiderwoman series, the new writer will simply toss out these developments so he can do his own thing...
    It will probably involve the family breaking up. That's exactly what I believe will happen and that's absolutely part of the problem.

Invincible Member

It will probably involve the family breaking up. That's exactly what I believe will happen and that's absolutely part of the problem.
    I can see someone shipping the baby off to a nanny and splitting Jess and Rog up so that Jess can be "Spiderwoman: Demon Hunter" or whatever. Part of the problem is just folks writing to old formulas.

I remember reading an old article about gay people in superhero comics from Amazing Heroes and there was a quote where someone said something like, "Yeah, there's some guys who won't put gays in comics because of politics, but there's others who can't do it simply cause they haven't seen Stan Lee or Garner Fox do it." It's like when the nu52 happened and Johns and Lee said they ended Clark's marriage cuz he was too happy and they didn't know what to do. Mind you, these are married guys saying this so they obviously aren't against the institution.

Wut, where did this come from?

The both parents argument can be also use in favour of LGBT couples since is much better for the kid to have 2 loving caretakers than none or only one, this was the argument that was use to legalize LGBT adoption in my country and it worked!