Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I don't need to see the sex lives of characters; a healthy romance implies that just as well as showing it. But I don't mind if it comes up either. What I DO mind is whenever an LGBT romance is brought up someone then comes in the thread to say they don't want to see characters have sex in their comics. Gay romance and gay sex are not the same thing people!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I don't need to see the sex lives of characters; a healthy romance implies that just as well as showing it. But I don't mind if it comes up either. What I DO mind is whenever an LGBT romance is brought up someone then comes in the thread to say they don't want to see characters have sex in their comics. Gay romance and gay sex are not the same thing people!
    Well, a lot of times what people mean when they say that is that they don't mind if the characters are gay as long as their orientation isn't really dealt with.

Having said that, how do you feel about how the Billy/Teddy relationship has been handled. There's some fans who think they're great and cute and adorable. There's others who hate them cuz they're too sweet and adorable. And how many years was it before they got an on panel kiss?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think had those marriages been allowed to stand in the comics and then been portrayed in other media, these could have been small steps that helped change the perception of the superhero genre in the general public. I think then some writers would have thought of other stories they could do, the public might start thinking that it's not just adolescent fantasies of saving that cute girl who doesn't notice you. They can be stories about men and women with responsibilities and what not.
    Maybe that perception is what they want? After all this t-shirt is a thing.

http://www.superheroden.com/superman...t-p-24056.html

honestly I don't need sex in comics, and I wouldn't hate it if the relationships were secondary to the action and adventure
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

I don't mind sex in comics as long as it's handled tastefully.

Ex:

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Maybe that perception is what they want? After all this t-shirt is a thing.

http://www.superheroden.com/superman...t-p-24056.html
    There's probably a lot truth to that. Every so often, we're treated to revamped versions of established heroes or an editor reverses a major development in character's canon cuz it makes said character seems "too old."

Ultimate Member

Ouch! Double post!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Swamp Thing has a weird sex life considering he had to bang Abby through John Constantine's body.
    Are we sure that wasn't just Constantine lying?

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Are we sure that wasn't just Constantine lying?
    It's a valid concern but yes, we are.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Having said that, how do you feel about how the Billy/Teddy relationship has been handled. There's some fans who think they're great and cute and adorable. There's others who hate them cuz they're too sweet and adorable.
    I'd question how someone can hate a gay couple for being too happy unless they have a need to see gay people miserable. (Which can include self-loathing gays who buy into the idea that gay people can't be happy as a couple or that it's too hetero-normative to want that) There are enough LGBT characters that we can start exploring variety with them instead of trying to make Billy and Teddy do it all. If someone wants a tragic gay to relate too it can be someone else (maybe Anole)

I'm happy to see at least one long-standing LGBT couple at Marvel (and with One More Day, they're one of the longer couples besides Sue and Reed LOL)

Emma Frost and Cyclops was shown as an adult relationship, and I think done very well without being too controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Emma Frost and Cyclops was shown as an adult relationship, and I think done very well without being too controversial.
    If you ignore the fact that the relationship began as an extramarital affair.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post

Which happens in real life to man. It's not earthshattering.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

That doesn't stop it from being controversial, though.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I have not read the comics, but from what I heard it was not real sex but only some telepathic stuff. If this is really the case, that I would not call it an real extramarital affair.