Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Nah, it's Geoff Johns' Avengers.
    The scene did have a bit of a DC wibe.

Are we just posting disturbing sex scenes now? Cause I remember one scene involving Metamoprho...

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Further to my post above, I don't see THIS (below) as ever necessary to show in superhero comics. :

THIS (below) is all you ever need to see of superheroes sex lives. Tasteful, but the point is made.

The above pic seems like something you'd see in the Ultimate line.

I'm surprised no one's brought up the sex scene in the first Catwoman issue of the New 52

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I'm surprised no one's brought up the sex scene in the first Catwoman issue of the New 52
    My problem with that scene is not that Batman and Catwoman are having sex, but that the sex is depicted like any other fight scene in a superhero comic. There is absolutely zero atmosphere.

Contrast that scene with this brilliant sequence from Steranko:

Nick_Fury_002p.jpg

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Nah, it's Geoff Johns' Avengers.
    I think I read that the art was altered when the story was collected in trade?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Ugh! There have been other scenes in Batman comics that implied perhaps sex, but the scene in Catwoman#1 was just poorly executed. I'm not sure how much of the visuals were dictated by the script, but I mostly blame the artist. The whole thing just looked supremely awkward.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    My problem with that scene is not that Batman and Catwoman are having sex, but that the sex is depicted like any other fight scene in a superhero comic. There is absolutely zero atmosphere.
    Bats even looked passed out on the final page!

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    How on earth was did ever allowed to be published? Wait. I guess it was one of the MAX titles?
    As far as I know, it was The Ultimates, from Mark Millar.

In Ultimate universe, rather than main, and not sure what the audience tends to be for this series particularly, but probably teens for Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men, or Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I'd question how someone can hate a gay couple for being too happy unless they have a need to see gay people miserable. (Which can include self-loathing gays who buy into the idea that gay people can't be happy as a couple or that it's too hetero-normative to want that) There are enough LGBT characters that we can start exploring variety with them instead of trying to make Billy and Teddy do it all. If someone wants a tragic gay to relate too it can be someone else (maybe Anole)

I'm happy to see at least one long-standing LGBT couple at Marvel (and with One More Day, they're one of the longer couples besides Sue and Reed LOL)
    Aren't Scott Summers and Emma Frost still together?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Contrast that scene with this brilliant sequence from Steranko:
    Nick_Fury_002p.jpg
    There's almost but not quite exact recreation of that Fury/Val scene in X-Men Annual #7.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    As far as I know, it was The Ultimates, from Mark Millar.

In Ultimate universe, rather than main, and not sure what the audience tends to be for this series particularly, but probably teens for Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men, or Ultimate Fantastic Four.
    It was from the regular 616 title. Millar however, is responsible for an extended wife beating scene in The Ultimates that ended with Ult Pym literally spraying Jan with insecticide.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think I read that the art was altered when the story was collected in trade?
    I believe the Geoff Johns Avengers collection simply cuts out the whole page.

It is a very weird scene for what had previously been basically an all-ages comic. But this was the period when Marvel was obsessed with making its core titles "edgy" and "modern." (You can always spot it in trades because it's the period where Bill Jemas forced all the titles to switch to Ultimate-style upper/lower-case lettering, only for most of them to go back to traditional all-caps after he left.) This issue was otherwise a very traditional, old-school Hank/Jan story with lots of continuity, so it almost feels like the sex scene was inserted so there would be something controversial in there.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I believe the Geoff Johns Avengers collection simply cuts out the whole page.
    They'd have to cut the page before, too. The one with exterior shots of the hotel and balloons of Jan saying "Hank, no" and such, so you think he's beating her.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There's almost but not quite exact recreation of that Fury/Val scene in X-Men Annual #7.

Ha! I never picked up on the reference! (I've only seen the original a couple times when it's been posted on these boards...when the Annual first came out I wasn't even aware of it.)