Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Alan Moore is a brilliant writer, but he has some damn weird views on sex.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I believe the Geoff Johns Avengers collection simply cuts out the whole page.

It is a very weird scene for what had previously been basically an all-ages comic. But this was the period when Marvel was obsessed with making its core titles "edgy" and "modern." (You can always spot it in trades because it's the period where Bill Jemas forced all the titles to switch to Ultimate-style upper/lower-case lettering, only for most of them to go back to traditional all-caps after he left.) This issue was otherwise a very traditional, old-school Hank/Jan story with lots of continuity, so it almost feels like the sex scene was inserted so there would be something controversial in there.
    I think we can all think of examples of things that seemed out of place or just done for shock. But I don't want to derail my own thread.

I will say there's much that bothers me when I see it in a 616 or main DCU title that wouldn't make blink twice if it were in a say Vertigo or alternative book.

Invincible Member

Batwoman #4 from 2012 has an interesting opening scene. Kate and Cassie make love which is contrasted with Flamebird fighting some bad guys. Kate and Cassie come across as a believable couple and J.H. Williams gives us pretty pictures that don't seem prurient. I can just image how some lesser artists might have portrayed these scenes.

Last edited by ed2962; 10-03-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Invincible Member

Defenders #4 (2012)I like for different reasons. When the first issue came out and there was the scene with Dr Strange and the coed, I kinda rolled my eyes thinking it was just there to make make Doc look "kewl." But in this issue we get to see Doc's recent dealing with women in a different light. Doc accidently brings his old college girlfriend back to life and Doc spends several days canoodling with her until he finally admits that she grew up got married and had a family before she died. Of course, she immediately wants to leave (It's probably worth noting that he brings back the college girl, not that middle aged family woman). We also get to see things from Molly the coed's point of view where Stephen comes off as less than all that.

Now personally, I'd rather not have Dr Strange act like a 25 yr old douchebag. But seeing as he kinda did, I appreciate the that fact that the narrative takes the time to point out that Strange's behavior was selfish and immature.
    Last edited by ed2962; 10-03-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Invincible Member

I'm a little surprised that no one's mentioned 80's Dick Grayson and Starfire. In the early days, the sex had to be left to innuendo, but still it was in the context on a serious and committed relationship. I think Marv Wolfman deserves a lot of credit

Invincible Member

I also stumbled across this column about Dick Grayson as a male sex symbol

http://ozandends.blogspot.com/2012/1...rst-overt.html

Invincible Member

There's an interesting debate going on in the Batman Threads. People are reacting to a preview of the new Batgirl title where I guess there's a page that suggests that Barbara Gordon got drunk and made out with a guy at a party. Even though she didn't have sex with the guy, a lot of people are questioning the scene and whether or not it's appropriate for for a Babs who's seen as a role model. Some folks are throwing around terms like slut and promiscuous. I'm going to wait until I read the story in context, before I make a final judgement. But I think it's an interesting display of how people react to certain forms of female sexuality.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

It's not surprising. There's no trouble finding such childish and misogynistic POVs in comic fandom. It's not everyone, but MAN is there more than an average share.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

She behaved like a single woman in her twenties? HOW DARE DC CREATE SUCH AN AFFRONT?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

My main problem with the scene isn't her making out with some guy, but that she's now a reckless party girl, which I think is out of character for her. She always struck me as more mature and in control of her vices than Dick who was, to put it bluntly, a bit of man-whore which isn't really a positive trait. This strikes me as more digression than character progression.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 10-06-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

So because she's not a madonna, she's a whore. Got it.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

That's not what I meant at all. I just think it's out of character for her to be a party animal. The pre-Flashpoint Barbara Gordon always seemed much more mature than the new version who seems more like a reckless teenager.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 10-06-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

Well, the universe was rebooted, so stuff like that is fair game.

Also, if you don't want to evoke the Madonna-whore complex, it's probably a good idea not to use the word "whore" in a contrasting manner with how you'd like the character to behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Well, the universe was rebooted, so stuff like that is fair game.
    Fair enough.

Also, if you don't want to evoke the Madonna-whore complex, it's probably a good idea not to use the word "whore" in a contrasting manner with how you'd like the character to behave.
    I meant that to refer to Dick Grayson's promiscuity, not Barbara's. Dick does have a tendency to sleep around to the point of ridiculousness, like when he slept with Barbara right before his wedding with Starfire.

My apologies if that led to any misunderstanding.

BANNED

I think being confined to a wheelchair and having to do everyone's research/coordination left her little time or inclination to go out drinking and partying. She has a better head on her shoulders than most, if she wants to let loose and have a little fun I think that's refreshing.