Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    My main problem with the scene isn't her making out with some guy, but that she's now a reckless party girl, which I think is out of character for her. She always struck me as more mature and in control of her vices than Dick who was, to put it bluntly, a bit of man-whore which isn't really a positive trait. This strikes me as more digression than character progression.
    Here's a more thoughtful response that sums up how I feel about the subject:

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Well, we all know its out of character. Even the story itself acknowledges that its out of character. Thats the point of it though. Babs did something out of character. This new run is about Babs trying to lighten up her life, trying to put the misery behind her and have more fun. But because, well, shes not use to doing things like that, she went a little overboard. They're not glorifying what she did, and they're not treating it like its her new character. Its really is amazing how this blew up here like it did.

I agree with everything in that quote except the part about it being amazing that it blew up like it did. "Fans overreact" is the comic book news equivalent of "dog bites man".
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

I have never seen a more realistic portrayal of sex and relationships than in Saga. In Marko and Alana's relationship, sex isn't portrayed as a triumphant climax or a period on the end of a narrative sentence. It's treated as a part of the ongoing dialogue between these two people. Their sex life intersects with every other facet of their existence, to the point that a single conversation can smoothly drift from "the baby needs a diaper change" to "here comes a squad of stormtroopers" to "I want you to do me on this table" to "I've gotta find a second job, we need the extra cash".

(I'd post pictures, but I doubt any of it's safe for this forum.)

BANNED

Lesbian relationships are most interesting to me, far more so than hetero or male gay relationships. I don't mean just for all-girl sexytime (though I won't deny it's a factor). But I also mean the emotional drama between two women in love can be more interesting to me than between a man and woman, or two men.

Hetero love stories quickly bore me, as do gay stories usually. But lesbian love stories, with all drama involved, are often far more fascinating.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    She behaved like a single woman in her twenties? HOW DARE DC CREATE SUCH AN AFFRONT?
    I mean, I get it if people don't like the new direction of the title, but on the page it's clearly stated that that no fornication even occurred, yet some fans feel comfortable questioning her morals now

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    It's not surprising. There's no trouble finding such childish and misogynistic POVs in comic fandom. It's not everyone, but MAN is there more than an average share.
    I'm not sure everyone that criticized the scene is being misogynistic. I think many of them are fans of the character, but waking up groggy after one party doesn't mean she's turned into Lindsey Lohan.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    I have never seen a more realistic portrayal of sex and relationships than in Saga. In Marko and Alana's relationship, sex isn't portrayed as a triumphant climax or a period on the end of a narrative sentence. It's treated as a part of the ongoing dialogue between these two people. Their sex life intersects with every other facet of their existence, to the point that a single conversation can smoothly drift from "the baby needs a diaper change" to "here comes a squad of stormtroopers" to "I want you to do me on this table" to "I've gotta find a second job, we need the extra cash".

(I'd post pictures, but I doubt any of it's safe for this forum.)

I guess it was Apple or some related company that didn't want to carry the digital version of Saga because of the sexual content?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Lesbian relationships are most interesting to me, far more so than hetero or male gay relationships. I don't mean just for all-girl sexytime (though I won't deny it's a factor). But I also mean the emotional drama between two women in love can be more interesting to me than between a man and woman, or two men.

Hetero love stories quickly bore me, as do gay stories usually. But lesbian love stories, with all drama involved, are often far more fascinating.
    I'm not sure I can point to a specific individual or couple cuz there's been so many examples over the years, but Love and Rockets has usually presented sexuality in a pretty fluid way. There's the I guess obvious Maggie/Hopey relationship, but also characters who seem to be bi without actually stating it out loud, but many others who seemed be identified as gay or straight, but find themselves in for lack of a better word the "opposite" sexual situation.

BANNED

Anecdotal, but most lesbian relationships my friends/co-workers have been involved in (from the outside looking in, and not being very nosy/caring much) have been the most boring relationships one could ever observe. The lesbians I know are like old married couples, even if they've only been together a few years. It's the gay male friends/co-workers who tend to have the interesting relationships (in both good and bad ways). Again, I don't pry and tend not to care much so long as they're happy but I'd much rather listen to the stories I hear from gay men I've encountered than from lesbians.

Don't mean in any way to generalize or offend, just speaking from personal, anecdotal experience. To contrast that to a fictional example from comics, "Strangers in Paradise" was one of my favorite comics growing up. Though by the end I did wish Francine would just stay away from Katchoo and find someone saner and less damaging to be with (regardless of gender).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I guess it was Apple or some related company that didn't want to carry the digital version of Saga because of the sexual content?
    Yes, but it was homosexual content that offended (penises on a TV-head if I recall correctly). They warn you it's mature readers right on the cover though, didn't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Further to my post above, I don't see THIS (below) as ever necessary to show in superhero comics. :

I'm sorry, but to this very day I still don't see what the issue is with this page. There's nothing wrong with it. We can see and read all these crazy violent pages, things with blood and gore and people beating each other to a pulp. But a scene of an adult couple using their powers to please each other is too much? I seriously don't get it.

The dude just crawled into her vagina and... did something, I don't really know what. I don't care who you are, that's weird.

(Also, the scene is staged so that at first, you think he's beating her.)
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'm sorry, but to this very day I still don't see what the issue is with this page. There's nothing wrong with it. We can see and read all these crazy violent pages, things with blood and gore and people beating each other to a pulp. But a scene of an adult couple using their powers to please each other is too much? I seriously don't get it.
    I don't agree with showing graphic violence OR graphic sex in superhero comics.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

The dude just crawled into her vagina and... did something, I don't really know what. I don't care who you are, that's weird.

(Also, the scene is staged so that at first, you think he's beating her.)
    It's not weird unless he's wearing scuba gear.

BANNED

The dude just crawled into her vagina and... did something, I don't really know what.
    You are too old to not know of the G-Spot.