Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have a question. Mr. Busiek. I loved your Untold tales of Spiderman series. I know there wont be another one but since the series was back in 1995-1997 and 25 25 years or so have passed. If you were to do an Untold Tale in todays day and age with all the recons and things that have been added and changed, and new characters and such what would be a fun story that you would want to do in an untold tales kind of way?
    If I was doing an UNTOLD TALES issue or series today, I'd have to think about it -- I don't have any stories prepared, because I don't think it's likely ever to happen. And frankly, if Marvel wanted me to write Spider-Man, and managed to talk me into doing it (which I think would not be easy, because Spider-Man has a lot of books and I don't like being one of a gang of writers on a character), I would rather do something set in the present day, where I could take Spider-Man in new directions rather than have to keep fitting stories in-between other stories that already existed.

The best part of writing UNTOLD TALES was that I got to use all the classic 60s characters; the worst part was that I couldn't have them grow or change any, because they had to be in the place they were the next time they appeared. So it was fun, but also a bit confining.

I did want to get to tell the story of what Spider-Man was doing the day Galactus showed up. But I won't tell you that story here, because who knows, maybe I'll get to do it someday.

Or would it be kind of pointless to do such a series in todays comic book climate with all the mentioned recons and such that seem to be in every couple of issues now a days.
    I don't think a series set in the past would be a strong seller now, any more than it was then. But if it happened before all the retcons, that's a bonus, really.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    If I was doing an UNTOLD TALES issue or series today, I'd have to think about it -- I don't have any stories prepared, because I don't think it's likely ever to happen. And frankly, if Marvel wanted me to write Spider-Man, and managed to talk me into doing it (which I think would not be easy, because Spider-Man has a lot of books and I don't like being one of a gang of writers on a character), I would rather do something set in the present day, where I could take Spider-Man in new directions rather than have to keep fitting stories in-between other stories that already existed.

The best part of writing UNTOLD TALES was that I got to use all the classic 60s characters; the worst part was that I couldn't have them grow or change any, because they had to be in the place they were the next time they appeared. So it was fun, but also a bit confining.

I did want to get to tell the story of what Spider-Man was doing the day Galactus showed up. But I won't tell you that story here, because who knows, maybe I'll get to do it someday.

I don't think a series set in the past would be a strong seller now, any more than it was then. But if it happened before all the retcons, that's a bonus, really.

kdb
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. I loved the Untold Tales series but I never did stop to think about how you as a writer could be handicapped in what you could write because it had to fit with in the timeline that was already going on or has been established.

A Spiderman story with what he was doing when Galactus showed up would be pretty fun.

Thanks again for the answer
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I don't know -- I was kind of hoping other writers would pick them up and use them, and we'd learn more about them that way.

If I ever write any of them again, I could explore that, but until then, I don't really know.

kdb
    Hmmm so what was your thought process on how to choose the members of the Octessence? they're all powerful beings, most of who've been seen in the past(with the exception of Farallah), mostly in Doctor Strange, but not just there(especially Juggernaut and Cyttorak)

Oh also, how much fun was it making up all of the awesome alliterative names?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmmm so what was your thought process on how to choose the members of the Octessence? they're all powerful beings, most of who've been seen in the past(with the exception of Farallah), mostly in Doctor Strange, but not just there(especially Juggernaut and Cyttorak)
    They're all entities Dr. Strange calls on in casting spells. Even Farallah was often invoked, "by the fangs of Farallah."

That had been my starting point in the first place. "Hey, if Cyttorak has a temple on Earth, do the other entities Strange calls on have temples? Could they empower humans the way Cyttorak's Crimson Crystal empowered the Juggernaut?"

That idea led to the idea of the bet among the Octessence, and then we had to figure out the various champions -- we tried to have them be in keeping with the empowering entity's particular specialty, and we also wanted to keep them varied, so we didn't have many of them similar to one another.

But it all started with the idea that if the Juggernaut was empowered by Cyttorak, what were the implications of that? He was a compelling character...could there be more?

Oh also, how much fun was it making up all of the awesome alliterative names?
    That's always fun.

It's sometimes hard, but it's always fun, and satisfying when you get one that feels "right."

kdb

Extraordinary Member

Mr Busiek,

If you are going to use Red Guardian/Alexi Shostakov again in Marvels can you work in an explicit statement that he is a recipient of a Super Soldier Serum variant? There have been vague statements over the years that maybe he is...but never anything definite.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Mr Busiek,

If you are going to use Red Guardian/Alexi Shostakov again in Marvels can you work in an explicit statement that he is a recipient of a Super Soldier Serum variant? There have been vague statements over the years that maybe he is...but never anything definite.
    The last time I used him it wouldn't have fit, and I have no idea whether such a statement would fit if and when I might use him again.

I don't think it really matters -- he can do what he does and I'm fine with that. I don't think it specifically needs to be nailed down to an explanation just for the sake of nailing it down.

If someone comes along and has a great idea for a story that depends on him having been altered by aliens, and reveals the existence of a whole group of alien-altered Russians, well, why block that possibility merely for the sake of declaring a "maybe" to be fact?

If it were to matter to a story, that's different, but that depends on the story.

kdb

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Mr Busiek, a small community of Invaders fans have been talking lately on Twitter and the idea of you as a writer and Paul Renaud as the artist on an Invaders book has been met with a lot of excitement by us, is this something you would consider? Is there a way to convey to Marvel that this is something fans want? I am not sure how often the emails that get sent in are actually read by Marvel or if it would make an impact but I would like to know how could we make this happen. Thank you.

(BTW I KNOW ITS BEEN OVER A YEAR BUT I STILL LOVE KING IN BLACK:NAMOR THANK YOU FOR WRITING IT!!! I never shut up about it to my friends! It's the best Namor book we have had in a long time. If Marvel gives you a Namor series just know I am preordering every issue!)
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Mr Busiek, a small community of Invaders fans have been talking lately on Twitter and the idea of you as a writer and Paul Renaud as the artist on an Invaders book has been met with a lot of excitement by us, is this something you would consider?
    I like Paul's work enormously, but I'm doing a bunch of new stuff at Image (the return of ARROWSMITH and Astro City to start, with the return of AUTUMNLANDS and a new series I'm co-writing with Fabian Nicieza, FREE AGENTS, coming a little later), so I'm pretty solidly booked, sorry.

(BTW I KNOW ITS BEEN OVER A YEAR BUT I STILL LOVE KING IN BLACK:NAMOR THANK YOU FOR WRITING IT!!! I never shut up about it to my friends! It's the best Namor book we have had in a long time.
    Has it really been over a year? Wow, time flies when you're isolating and social-distancing.

I'm very glad you liked it. It was a lot of fun to do.

kdb

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I like Paul's work enormously, but I'm doing a bunch of new stuff at Image (the return of ARROWSMITH and Astro City to start, with the return of AUTUMNLANDS and a new series I'm co-writing with Fabian Nicieza, FREE AGENTS, coming a little later), so I'm pretty solidly booked, sorry.

Has it really been over a year? Wow, time flies when you're isolating and social-distancing.

kdb

It's been almost a year since the first issue of KiB Namor. I also loved the series and am so disappointed Marvel hasn't followed up on the Namor dealing with the Black Tide and the mysterious voice of Lady Dorma!

Fans of KiB Namor should also pick up AUTUMNLANDS, as Benjamin Dewey is on the art! And he really does an gorgeous job there. I can't wait for the return of the series. I'm also very curious about ARROWSMITH.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

They're all entities Dr. Strange calls on in casting spells. Even Farallah was often invoked, "by the fangs of Farallah."

That had been my starting point in the first place. "Hey, if Cyttorak has a temple on Earth, do the other entities Strange calls on have temples? Could they empower humans the way Cyttorak's Crimson Crystal empowered the Juggernaut?"

That idea led to the idea of the bet among the Octessence, and then we had to figure out the various champions -- we tried to have them be in keeping with the empowering entity's particular specialty, and we also wanted to keep them varied, so we didn't have many of them similar to one another.

But it all started with the idea that if the Juggernaut was empowered by Cyttorak, what were the implications of that? He was a compelling character...could there be more?
    Now I have this urge to look up the times Farallah was mentioned.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

kdb
    Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It's been almost a year since the first issue of KiB Namor. I also loved the series and am so disappointed Marvel hasn't followed up on the Namor dealing with the Black Tide and the mysterious voice of Lady Dorma!

Fans of KiB Namor should also pick up AUTUMNLANDS, as Benjamin Dewey is on the art! And he really does an gorgeous job there. I can't wait for the return of the series. I'm also very curious about ARROWSMITH.
    I love his art, I am def curious about these comics so I will be looking into them!

Maybe someday we can get the return of Lady Dorma!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mr. Busiek I have another question. I am sorry if it has been asked already but there are 60 pages to this thread and I havnt read it all yet.

My question is on digital media. With the Apps around with comics like Marvel Unlimited and ComiXology that make it not only easier to access older and newer comics and the fact that both Marvel and DC have put out digital only comics along with the issues that brick and mortar stores (Not just comics but a lot of retail) are having do you think that maybe print comics will be a thing of the past in the next 5 years, or 10 years?

I know there are fans who dont like the idea of digital and I know comic book shop owners dont like the idea. Is there a way to make digital more accepting to those groups?

Also what is the feeling among writers/artists/etc about digital format?

Or do you think the future of comics is not in the digital format but maybe in the format of graphic novels and trade sized books?
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-26-2021 at 05:13 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My question is on digital media. With the Apps around with comics like Marvel Unlimited and ComiXology that make it not only easier to access older and newer comics and the fact that both Marvel and DC have put out digital only comics along with the issues that brick and mortar stores (Not just comics but a lot of retail) are having do you think that maybe print comics will be a thing of the past in the next 5 years, or 10 years?
    I honestly have no idea. People have been saying that individual issues will fade away and be replaced by OGNs since, I think, the 1990s, and it hasn't happened yet. We've seen book editions become more and more important to the industry, though.

So when people say that digital will take over, it may well be that it will become more and more important, but how fast that'll happen doesn't seem to be anything people can accurately predict.

People have been saying digital will take over for prose books, too, and it's become an important market segment, but hasn't taken over yet.

I know there are fans who dont like the idea of digital and I know comic book shop owners dont like the idea. Is there a way to make digital more accepting to those groups?
    I think it's one of those things that'll change over time. Right now most of the audience came to comics in print form, but in years to come the number who started reading digitally will only grow. So it may not be that readers will switch over as a group, but that new readers may favor digital and older readers may favor print, and it'll be a dimensional shift. Or maybe not, I can't say.

Also what is the feeling among writers/artists/etc about digital format?
    I can't speak for other creators. I prefer to read comics on paper myself, possibly because we don't have a good widely available color e-paper reader yet, and I look at a glowing screen all day, so I don't really want to for leisure reading. It starts to hurt my eyes. I use digital comics as a handy research tool, but for reading I prefer print.

Then again, I've come to prefer reading prose on my Kindle -- maybe because the e-paper is relaxing, there.

Or do you think the future of comics is not in the digital format but maybe in the format of graphic novels and trade sized books?
    I don't think the future has to be one thing. Maybe it'll be a multi-format future, at least for a while. We don't use horses for travel anywhere near as much as we used to, but trains, cars, bicycles, airplanes and ships all coexist; it's not as if each new advance wipes out all the others. It just becomes a matter of which one suits the job at hand.

Could be that'll happen with comics. Or it could be someone will invent the "killer app" that wins a huge percentage of people over to a single format. I can't predict that.

But as long as people like reading stories, I'll be interested in writing them, whatever the delivery technology happens to be.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I love his art, I am def curious about these comics so I will be looking into them!
    Ben and I have a story in WONDER WOMAN: BLACK & GOLD 5, just out this week.

And we had a story in RED SONJA: BLACK, WHITE, RED 1, out a few months back.

kdb

For untold tales of spider-man i like how you took a girl from amazing fantasy 15 and made her a full cast member.

Bluebird. Not only is she one of spideys early fails with her death but the ironic nature that he was so worried she would die as blubird only to have her die right away as soon as he gets her to stop fighting crime in a car wreck!

Peters dumb luck in the worst way.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mr. Busiek how did you come up with the idea to use her and to kill her off? It really made a impact in the book. Would you bring back bluebird as a new hero using the costume and name? Peter may not be happy if someone else started using that costume!