Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Lethal ones!

I might get to do the idea someday, so I'll keep the details to myself.

kdb
    Sorry for asking but I hope you get to do your idea.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

While hiking Sweden's High Coast, your 616 counterpart stumbles upon a skelf of Yggdrasil that bestows upon him one basic superhuman power of his choice. What power do you think he would pick, and would he be a hero, a villain, or neither?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    While hiking Sweden's High Coast, your 616 counterpart stumbles upon a skelf of Yggdrasil that bestows upon him one basic superhuman power of his choice. What power do you think he would pick, and would he be a hero, a villain, or neither?
    I'd pick the ability to experience any creative work and thereafter have all the craft that went into making it -- listen to a Beatles song and be able to play music (and write) as well as they could, read a great novel and be able to write as well as the author, and so on.

And I'd be a writer. Plus I'd be able to draw comics and play music, and all kinds of stuff. Not to mention being able to understand any language upon hearing or reading it as well as the person who spoke or wrote it.

It'd be awesome.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

BANNED

Did you have more ideas for Untold Tales of Spider-Man in mind when the series ended? If it could've continued as long as you wanted, what point would you have stopped at?

I was always curious if you found it constraining to write within the confines of a series that had already happened where the fates of the characters were set in stone, or if it was like a fun puzzle trying to put Doc Ock/whoever back in place for his next chronological appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I'd pick the ability to experience any creative work and thereafter have all the craft that went into making it -- listen to a Beatles song and be able to play music (and write) as well as they could, read a great novel and be able to write as well as the author, and so on.

And I'd be a writer. Plus I'd be able to draw comics and play music, and all kinds of stuff. Not to mention being able to understand any language upon hearing or reading it as well as the person who spoke or wrote it.

It'd be awesome.

kdb
    I can dig it.

have you ever pondered writing a series similar to Dragon Ball Z?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    Did you have more ideas for Untold Tales of Spider-Man in mind when the series ended?
    Yes, lots.

If it could've continued as long as you wanted, what point would you have stopped at?
    It could have continued longer -- had I not left to do IRON MAN and AVENGERS, they'd have taken a chance on raising the price to a normal level, and seeing how the book did that way. But when I left they decided that the combination of a new price and a new writer would result in a sales drop that wouldn't work for the book, so they chose to end it.

But if I'd just kept going, and the book lasted, and I didn't get other opportunities I'd rather have done, I could see running all the way up past the death of Gwen, but probably stopping before the first Clone Saga.

I was always curious if you found it constraining to write within the confines of a series that had already happened where the fates of the characters were set in stone, or if it was like a fun puzzle trying to put Doc Ock/whoever back in place for his next chronological appearance.
    Both!

That it was a fun puzzle doesn't mean it wasn't a constraint -- it was an interesting creative challenge to go with that constraint.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    have you ever pondered writing a series similar to Dragon Ball Z?
    I don't think so.

I've never read or seen DRAGON BALL Z, so if I ever thought of doing a series like that, it'd have been by accident.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    To add to this:

It's also a constraint to work within the confines of the modern Marvel Universe, with all its continuity and connections.

The plus to it is that not as much is locked down. The minus is that the other books you're interacting with haven't actually been finished yet, so there's a lot of guessing and adjusting.

In an UNTOLD TALES situation, your collaborators are done, so you can play off them without guesswork.

kdb

I am sorry for the loss of your friend Carlos. Have you thought about what will happen with Arrowsmith? If this is too soon, please tell me to "F" off.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am sorry for the loss of your friend Carlos. Have you thought about what will happen with Arrowsmith? If this is too soon, please tell me to "F" off.
    We've been making some plans, but they're not yet firmed up enough to announce.

Thanks.

kdb

What were your plans for The Mandarin had your Iron Man run continued?

Where can I find a list of all of your original character creations? And are you working on any new OCs for this year?

BANNED

Whats your favorite storyline from your Avengers run?

what do you feel about writing characters that blur the line between hero and villain? Like your use of Livewire. You wrote her more as hero than villain, but..... not all the way?