Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Night Thrasher: Dwayne Taylor Appreciation

In light of the new series beginning on 02/14/2024, I figure Thrash needed his own appreciation page again:

NT 1.jpg

Night Thrasher's parent's were killed in front of him when he was very young. He started to hate lawbreakers, and began to train in the martial arts in order to punish them. He forgot about how his parents died and the face of their killer. He later learned that his parents had been killed as part of a plan orchestrated by an elderly Asian women named Tai. During the day, he ran the Taylor Foundation. By night, he trained and began to patrol the streets. Dwayne met two other vigilantes, Silhouette and Midnight's fire, and the three began to try to lessen the gang population in New York. He later then recruits a new team called "The New Warriors."

Abilities and "Powers":

Night Thrasher possesses excellent hand-to-hand fighting ability and is trained in various martial arts. He has been able to hold his own against the Punisher and would have beaten him had the Punisher not discharged a submachine gun at point-blank range. He is also an excellent acrobat, a talented designer of battle-suits and small armaments, and a good computer hacker. Dwayne was also a skilled acrobat and a brilliant inventor with skills eclipsing most engineers. His strength was enhanced by his Mark II combat armor, but not to a superhuman degree.

Due to tampering with his mind by Tai, Dwayne was immune to telepathic probes. Emma Frost herself could not scan his mind. He has trained in the martial arts with numerous tutors. He was able to gain a near-victory in unarmed combat against The Punisher. The Punisher only won by switching to his weaponry again.

nt 2.jpg

His armor's design and capabilities:

His light armored suit consisted of Kevlar, silicate-oriented fiber in ceramic matrix and titanium nitride micro-mail. The suit was bulletproof and fireproof, and also impenetrable by knife blades. It included camouflage equipment which blended the suit to its surroundings. It also gave him an enhanced level of strength. The goggles of his helmet allowed him to see infrared vision, telescopic vision and magnetic resonance scanning. The helmet also included a breathing apparatus, a voice scrambler, a radio communications device (allowing him to communicate with his teammates) and a parabolic sound enhancer. In battle he typically employed battle staffs. He used a high-tech fiberglass skateboard for transportation. The skateboard was equipped with a retractable razor-sharp blade, allowing it to be used as a weapon in battle.

Hoping 2024 will be Awesome for Thrash

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Ultimate Member

Wonder if they'll discuss Bandit in his upcoming mini.

Sadly, I'm putting money on Chord getting iced

hopefully he'll get set up in a new city. Come to Detroit or Atlanta.

Mighty Member

Here is an example of Thrash being "Thrash" with his meeting with Nova:

new warriors 1.jpg

I remember reading this back in the 90s and it shows how Dwayne can be an @$$hole.

Astonishing Member

Night Thrasher is one my favorite characters (really can't stand the Donyell version). A shame Midnight's Fire didn't catch on because I thought they had a great Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow dynamic going.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Night Thrasher is one my favorite characters (really can't stand the Donyell version). A shame Midnight's Fire didn't catch on because I thought they had a great Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow dynamic going.
    I know, right?! Loved when he came up with those nicknames for Dwayne like... "Mirror-Brother" (XD)

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Mighty Member

I remember reading somewhere where Midnight Fire physical ability are just above Captain America's. Meaning he is a bit faster, stronger and quicker than Cap. And he is described as an unparalleled martial artist. You can see why Thrash built the suit to even the odds against him. Here is a description of his powers and abilites:

Powers
    Midnight's Fire has very subtle abilities, due to the energies of the Well of All Things. His physical attributes are at the peak of human possibility. He has enhanced speed, strength, agility, and sensory perception on par with Black Panther.

Superhuman Strength
    Superhuman Speed
    Superhuman Agility
    Superhuman Senses
    Extrasensory Perception

Abilities
    Aaron Chord is also an unparalleled martial artist. The combination of these traits made him a deadly threat in combat to normal humans like Night Thrasher. The threat of a physical confrontation with Midnight's Fire was one of the main reasons that Dwayne Taylor created his body armor.

This is one of the reasons I always wanted Fire to face off against characters like Captain America, Daredevil and Black Panther. Just to see where he stands in terms of his powers with his unparalleled martial arts skill.

Mighty Member

Thrash vs Midnight Fire:

thrash vs midknightfire 2.jpg

Thrash vs midknightfire .jpg

Bagley's art was great with these combat scenes!

Same here. As for Midnight's Fire, it's never to late to pick up on that great story.

Peace

Mighty Member

I also hope the new story taps into Dwayne's "Advanced DNA." Thrash should have some other biological benefits from this. Some new abilities or physical/mental enhancements. Look at Blade now have all the powers of a vampire. Thrash could use something added to his physical repertoire.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I also hope the new story taps into Dwayne's "Advanced DNA." Thrash should have some other biological benefits from this. Some new abilities or physical/mental enhancements. Look at Blade now have all the powers of a vampire. Thrash could use something added to his physical repertoire.
    ...why?

Dwayne is pretty much the only hand to hand bad ass normal out there, anymore. Shang has the rings...and I think that's it, lol.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ...why?

Dwayne is pretty much the only hand to hand bad ass normal out there, anymore. Shang has the rings...and I think that's it, lol.
    1. Because this is about superhero comic book stories and most characters with no special abilities do not get used. Look at what has happened to Danny Rand after they have taken away his Iron Fist. And Thrash was barely used even when they revamped the New Warriors. Why, because a lot of writers, I believe, do not find his abilities that interesting.

2. Traditionally having a unique ability makes a character special in Marvel. And Dwayne's advanced DNA could be developed into some interesting possibilities in his storytelling. We know he can resist telepathic probing but what other subtle abilities could be explored. Even a character like Blade is not given more abilities of a vampire.

I just believe things can be done with Thrash as a character to make him a bit more interesting that other creators will pitch series or stories with him more.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    1. Because this is about superhero comic book stories and most characters with no special abilities do not get used. Look at what has happened to Danny Rand after they have taken away his Iron Fist. And Thrash was barely used even when they revamped the New Warriors. Why, because a lot of writers, I believe, do not find his abilities that interesting.

2. Traditionally having a unique ability makes a character special in Marvel. And Dwayne's advanced DNA could be developed into some interesting possibilities in his storytelling. We know he can resist telepathic probing but what other subtle abilities could be explored. Even a character like Blade is not given more abilities of a vampire.

I just believe things can be done with Thrash as a character to make him a bit more interesting that other creators will pitch series or stories with him more.
    Danny Rand has a complicated history that clashes with today's audience and writers

And he has been used in Luke's Gang War mini, and frankly, Thrash has been used a great deal in recent years by a surprising amount of different writers.

Having powers like literally EVERY OTHER semi street character out there, will not help him stand out.

Mighty Member

We can agree to disagree with that. Bur It has been established that he has some type of 'advanced DNA' and I believe it's an area that could be explored.

As for Thrashed being used. He has been used once in a blue moon. He has been in 3 issues of Matthew Rosenberg's Punisher in 2019 and one issue of his Hawkeye series in 2020, The Contest of Champions in 2016 by Al Ewing and the special one shot from a few years ago. He is barely ever used.

The question is whether Thrash could rise to the level of a Moon Knight or Iron Fist (pre netflix show) in terms of getting an occasional series. My dream would be for him to have a steady series like Daredevil but we all know the chances of that happening is a long shot.