Page 46 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    It depends on the deity.

Like other characters, they're all individuals. Some cultures have myths about all-powerful deities, some have myths about less-powerful deities.

I tend to think that any deity should have some kind of feeling to them that feels like more than just a guy who drank a strength serum, that has some myth/wonder to it -- but I think that beyond that, they should be treated as characters, with whatever attributes and personalities match those characters, and not in some one-size-fits-all way.

It always feels odd to me when I see people lumping, say, all "skyfathers" together, as if that's some sort of generic category that all pantheons need to have, and they all have the same powers. It just seems like a lazy way to say "everyone's got to have a Zeus, because we're Euro-centric."

So I'd say gods -- even, say, the god of lost socks -- should feel numinous, in some way, but not all gods should be all-powerful forces. Some of them just get your socks lost.

kdb
    I always felt a bit let down by your portrayal of Thor in JLAvengers. Thor being a god I liked how Lee & Kirby had him and most of the other gods sit far above any earth superheroes in strength, like a class well above, this including almost every space race other than specially powerful space beings like Galactus, Ego, etc. Seeing Superman be able to dominate Thor was a big surprise to me and something that had me totally unconvinced, worst of all Thor was handling Mjolnir as if there is no doubt Superman is the best. I remember when fighting Hercules he would belt Mjolnir if Hercules was unarmed so that also seemed uncharacteristic from Thor. I know there is much respect for Superman for being the first published but a god to me was a cut above any superhero and Superman was simply an alien. I grew up in the 70s so maybe those Marvel guys writing brainwashed me or something but Superman was good but not that good. These days Thor movies make a lot more money than Superman's so all that reverence for the guy with the "S" perhaps has diminished, at least from the general public.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I always felt a bit let down by your portrayal of Thor in JLAvengers. Thor being a god I liked how Lee & Kirby had him and most of the other gods sit far above any earth superheroes in strength, like a class well above, this including almost every space race other than specially powerful space beings like Galactus, Ego, etc. Seeing Superman be able to dominate Thor was a big surprise to me and something that had me totally unconvinced, worst of all Thor was handling Mjolnir as if there is no doubt Superman is the best. I remember when fighting Hercules he would belt Mjolnir if Hercules was unarmed so that also seemed uncharacteristic from Thor. I know there is much respect for Superman for being the first published but a god to me was a cut above any superhero and Superman was simply an alien. I grew up in the 70s so maybe those Marvel guys writing brainwashed me or something but Superman was good but not that good. These days Thor movies make a lot more money than Superman's so all that reverence for the guy with the "S" perhaps has diminished, at least from the general public.
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure DC's Thor is portrayed as stronger than Marvel's Thor where they're "weaker".

I always felt a bit let down by your portrayal of Thor in JLAvengers.
    Okay.

I don't agree with your read on what Lee and Kirby did, myself, but JLA/AVENGERS was 16 years ago now, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion, as ever.

I'll just note that, as I said earlier, I think gods should have some sort of numinous quality, but I don't think they all fit any one mold beyond that.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Mighty Member

Any chance of a collaboration with Alan Davis or Ron Frenz in your future Marvel projects? I'd particularly love to see a new Defenders by you and any of these two artists or a Namor ongoing. I love your respect to history and how your characters tend to be portrayed so perfectly aligned with their written history, I also like how the two mentioned artists portray the characters most of the time in a very nostalgic styles and how they also seem to be so recognizable visually. I thought your short team up with Alan Davis way back in Avengers was fantastic and always wished it had been longer!

Any chance of a collaboration with Alan Davis or Ron Frenz in your future Marvel projects?
    No idea, but I enjoyed working with both of those fine gentlemen when I got the chance to in the past.

I thought your short team up with Alan Davis way back in Avengers was fantastic and always wished it had been longer!
    Me too!

kdb

In the previous iteration of these boards, in one of the "I AM MARVEL COMMUNITY" threads I said that the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series took heavily from your Untold Tales series, you asked how and I didn't answer back then.
    I think it's mostly due to Sally Avril, but I need to reread your series and rewatch the show to check for more details. I'd love to thank you for creating a great comic series that had influence on how a great animated show out to be.

Thinking back of Untold Tales; any chance of working on something new with Pat Olliffe?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    In the previous iteration of these boards, in one of the "I AM MARVEL COMMUNITY" threads I said that the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series took heavily from your Untold Tales series, you asked how and I didn't answer back then.
    I think it's mostly due to Sally Avril, but I need to reread your series and rewatch the show to check for more details. I'd love to thank you for creating a great comic series that had influence on how a great animated show out to be.
    Thanks!

Thinking back of Untold Tales; any chance of working on something new with Pat Olliffe?
    That'd be nice, if schedules and opportunities allow. Pat's an amazing storyteller.

kdb

Mr.Busiek how do feel that Songbird a superhero of your creation, might finally be entering the MCUs Falcon & Winter Soldier series?
    its highly speculated that Erin Kellyman may well be playing Screaming Mimi/Songbird.
    songbird.jpg
    Last edited by la.forsaken; 10-25-2020 at 05:22 AM.
    "Without Sin, what Grace has Forgiveness."

Quote Originally Posted by la.forsaken View Post
    Mr.Busiek how do feel that Songbird a superhero of your creation, might finally be entering the MCUs Falcon & Winter Soldier series?
    its highly speculated that Erin Kellyman may well be playing Screaming Mimi/Songbird.
    First I've heard of it. But that would be pretty cool!

kdb

Fantastic Member

Hello Mr. Busiek!

Were there any characters you wanted to add to the roster of Thunderbolts but couldn't use for some reason or another?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Were there any characters you wanted to add to the roster of Thunderbolts but couldn't use for some reason or another?
    Initially, I wanted to use the Rita deMara Yellowjacket, but she had gone to the future and then come back to an alternate near-future where she got murdered, and that seemed hard to untangle -- the near-future she died in never actually happened, but it was the Rita from the main timeline that got killed in it, so -- ????

It's not unresolvable, but it seemed like it would have been a lot of work to explain, when we had lots of other things to explain already.

So we used Screaming Mimi instead, and turned her into Songbird, which I think worked out better all around.

kdb

Speaking of Thunderbolts(which I'm re-reading the Hawkeye and the thunderbolts) is there any reason archangel didn't stick around? I was hoping he would join as I was a fan of certain mutants and loved when they got away from the X-universe. Plus just wanted to say I'm a HUGE fan of Triathlon(seriously just want to throw that out there, dude needs more respect!!)

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBlazed21 View Post
    Speaking of Thunderbolts(which I'm re-reading the Hawkeye and the thunderbolts) is there any reason archangel didn't stick around? I was hoping he would join as I was a fan of certain mutants and loved when they got away from the X-universe. Plus just wanted to say I'm a HUGE fan of Triathlon(seriously just want to throw that out there, dude needs more respect!!)
    We were only allowed to use him as a guest star.

I wouldn't have brought him onto the team anyway, because he's not an ex-villain, and we already had Jolt. I wanted to keep the book focused.

But he made a great guest star, and I had a blast writing him.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    We were only allowed to use him as a guest star.

I wouldn't have brought him onto the team anyway, because he's not an ex-villain, and we already had Jolt. I wanted to keep the book focused.

But he made a great guest star, and I had a blast writing him.

kdb
    Never thought about it like that, makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

Mighty Member

Kurt, Who is your favourite Avengers Heroes ?