Page 12 of 74 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Ah, so there is more from the interview that wasn't broadcast?
    Sure. They interviewed me for about an hour. We went through the whole history of Marvel. I assume they did that sort of thing with most of us, and then just used bits that helped them establish and shape their narrative, and make sure a lot of people got seen.

Wow, I can't believe they didn't tell you, though I wouldn't want you to be nervous.
    They may not have known, at the time, where it was going to end up.

It would be cool to see you and some other creators on an interview / panel, like that. Is there anyone in particular you'd like to be in a panel / interview?
    Jack Kirby, Sheldon Mayer, Archie Goodwin and Neil Gaiman would make a fascinating group...

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Just as soon as Warner Bros. and Disney decide it's worth teaming up on a project that won't make them all that much money.

I.e., I wouldn't hold your breath.

kdb
    I liked the Amalgam books too. You and Karl Kesel had a really great sense for making really fun Amalgam characters.

I remember hearing you wanted to do a Booster/Beetle + Luke Cage/Iron Fist combo. Any truth to that, or just an old internet urban legend?

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    I liked the Amalgam books too. You and Karl Kesel had a really great sense for making really fun Amalgam characters.

I remember hearing you wanted to do a Booster/Beetle + Luke Cage/Iron Fist combo. Any truth to that, or just an old internet urban legend?
    I didn't actually want to do it, but it was a good title gag: POWER BEETLE & BOOSTER FIST.

But I think it should be done by someone else.

kdb

PS: The best Amalgam title possible, though, combines SGT. FURY and SGT. ROCK, in a book called SGT. **** AND HIS EASY COMMANDOS.

Should El Aguila be a more prominent character in today's Marvel?

Extraordinary Member

Hi Mr. Busiek. There's a public domain website that says certian issues of Shazam/Capt. Marvel are public domain. What's you're opinion on that? Does that mean the character itself is able to be used without the name?

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Hi Mr. Busiek. There's a public domain website that says certian issues of Shazam/Capt. Marvel are public domain. What's you're opinion on that? Does that mean the character itself is able to be used without the name?

I'm not a IP lawyer, but as I understand it certain copyrights concerning Capt. Marvel (and Superman actually) have fallen into the public domain. So technically, yes you can totally use those copyrighted works as a base to write your own Capt. Marvel or Superman stories.

BUT, there are some significant catches. Its those Copyrights and ONLY those copyrights. And those early stories tend to lack the most iconic aspects of those characters. In Superman's case (which I know the most about), he only jumps. Doesn't fly. No X-ray Vision, no Heat Vision. He works at the Daily Star, not the Daily Planet. No Jimmy Olsen either (introduced in the Radio Show you see). Etc... etc... You can NOT infringe on the Copyrights DC/Warner still control, which is tricky due to how much of that canon is so entwined with the iconic Superman character.

And that's not even getting into the fact that DC owns the trademarks on all the character likenesses (Glasses + Curly Q Haircut are locked down I believe), names, logos (Chest Lighting Bolt, S Shield, etc...), and supporting cast likenesses. So it becomes even more of a challenge to incorporate these public domain copyrights into something new. Because you can't promote the usage of the characters at all. Or have to change them so much as to be unrecognizable.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    I'm not a IP lawyer, but as I understand it certain copyrights concerning Capt. Marvel (and Superman actually) have fallen into the public domain. So technically, yes you can totally use those copyrighted works as a base to write your own Capt. Marvel or Superman stories.

BUT, there are some significant catches. Its those Copyrights and ONLY those copyrights. And those early stories tend to lack the most iconic aspects of those characters. In Superman's case (which I know the most about), he only jumps. Doesn't fly. No X-ray Vision, no Heat Vision. He works at the Daily Star, not the Daily Planet. No Jimmy Olsen either (introduced in the Radio Show you see). Etc... etc... You can NOT infringe on the Copyrights DC/Warner still control, which is tricky due to how much of that canon is so entwined with the iconic Superman character.

And that's not even getting into the fact that DC owns the trademarks on all the character likenesses (Glasses + Curly Q Haircut are locked down I believe), names, logos (Chest Lighting Bolt, S Shield, etc...), and supporting cast likenesses. So it becomes even more of a challenge to incorporate these public domain copyrights into something new. Because you can't promote the usage of the characters at all. Or have to change them so much as to be unrecognizable.
    Wow. I didn't know about Superman. So someone could write a story based on those characters but would basically have to change the image/appearance of the character to use them?

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Presumably, if you used only those aspects of the character established in the public domain stories, you'd be able to use the character even with the name, as long as you didn't use the logo or other trademarks as marks in trade.

I.e., you might not be able to show Cap's distinctive costume one the cover, or use his name on the cover.

But if you were actually considering this, you should talk to an IP attorney, not me.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Should El Aguila be a more prominent character in today's Marvel?
    I read so little of today's Marvel, I wouldn't know if he was.

But I like him, so it'd be nice if he got to be in lots of good stories that treat him well...

kdb

"The Nearness of You." There is absolutely nothing like it. The fact that this story exists as a comic is reason enough for why I continue to be passionate about the medium. If non-comic people ask me why I'm into comics and, perhaps (rarely), ask for a suggestion, I go no further than offer them that 1/2 issue. It's true perfection. I'm not just trying to suck up since you're on here and responding to people's posts--in fact, don't reply to mine. I just want to say that issue is pure genius.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Presumably, if you used only those aspects of the character established in the public domain stories, you'd be able to use the character even with the name, as long as you didn't use the logo or other trademarks as marks in trade.

I.e., you might not be able to show Cap's distinctive costume one the cover, or use his name on the cover.

But if you were actually considering this, you should talk to an IP attorney, not me.

kdb
    Okay thanks !

I doubt if anyone's asked this, since no one cares but me--but Mr. Busiek, what are your thoughts, if any, on the total destruction of the Dum Dum Dugan character and his history as a SHIELD agent?

Not that I was a huge fan, but it just struck me as a bit...cold of Nick to do that, and to blatantly lie and manipulate for all these years.

EDIT: This is, of course, assuming you've read it--which I doubt you have, after now reading through most of the thread.
    Last edited by Montressor; 11-10-2014 at 06:01 AM.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Two questions that came up for me recently:

1. I'm about to sit down and reread your Avengers run. Other than Avengers Forever and Maximum Security, are there any other tie-in's with the main series that I should read to get the complete picture?

2. Are there any classic Avengers villains you didn't get to cover you wish you had gotten around to? Are there any villains that you don't normally associate with the Avengers you wanted to bring in? For example, I seem to recall one of the villains that came up had a connection to Apocalypse. Would you have liked to seen him fight the Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    "The Nearness of You." There is absolutely nothing like it. The fact that this story exists as a comic is reason enough for why I continue to be passionate about the medium. If non-comic people ask me why I'm into comics and, perhaps (rarely), ask for a suggestion, I go no further than offer them that 1/2 issue. It's true perfection. I'm not just trying to suck up since you're on here and responding to people's posts--in fact, don't reply to mine. I just want to say that issue is pure genius.
    Thanks!

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I doubt if anyone's asked this, since no one cares but me--but Mr. Busiek, what are your thoughts, if any, on the total destruction of the Dum Dum Dugan character and his history as a SHIELD agent?
    I don't know anything about it. Last I noticed, Dum Dum was fine, and had a lengthy history as a SHIELD agent.

kdb