Page 25 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

BANNED

Any chance of Cyke joining GoTG if you are on it?
    Screenshot (94).jpg

If you could choose any artist to do a "every defender ever" (yes that includes all members like howard the duck and the defenders for a day team!) defenders forever type story who would you choose and who would you choose to be the main bad guy of the story?

Any plans to use the female yellowjacket in the future? She really needs to come back in a avengers team like wca. She needs a second chance like hellcat and mockingbird did.

Who was the better third stooge? Curly, joe besser, curly joe, or shemp?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    If you could choose any artist to do a "every defender ever" (yes that includes all members like howard the duck and the defenders for a day team!) defenders forever type story who would you choose and who would you choose to be the main bad guy of the story?

Any plans to use the female yellowjacket in the future? She really needs to come back in a avengers team like wca. She needs a second chance like hellcat and mockingbird did.

Curly. Always Curly followed by Shemp.

Spectacular Member

Hello Mr. Busiek.

I am a HUUUGE fan of your work on Untold Tales of Spider-Man. It is one of the best runs on the character for me (like, easily top 3). I have two questions pertaining to that run.

1) Of the original villains you and Pat Oliffe created there (the Spacemen, Scorcher, Headsmen, Commanda, etc.), who is your personal favorite and why? I was always impressed by how much those villains blended in with the tone of Stan and Steve's original run.

2) What. were some major plot points that you planned on doing if the series had lasted a bit longer, if any?

Forgive me if you get asked those questions a lot. Anyways, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Any chance of Cyke joining GoTG if you are on it?
    Wasn't he already with the Guardians for a while? Or did he just go off into space?

Anyway, no worries that I'll be writing GUARDIANS, so it's a burning question I can leave unexamined.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    If you could choose any artist to do a "every defender ever" (yes that includes all members like howard the duck and the defenders for a day team!) defenders forever type story who would you choose
    Sal Buscema.

and who would you choose to be the main bad guy of the story?
    Beats me. I'd have to think about it -- and I've got too many real stories to think about at present.

No plans on my part, at least.

I think I'm gonna have to go with Curly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    1) Of the original villains you and Pat Oliffe created there (the Spacemen, Scorcher, Headsmen, Commanda, etc.), who is your personal favorite and why? I was always impressed by how much those villains blended in with the tone of Stan and Steve's original run.
    I think probably The Headsman. He had real presence, and Pat did a great job designing him.

2) What. were some major plot points that you planned on doing if the series had lasted a bit longer, if any?
    You never know when plot ideas will become useful, so I'll keep those to myself...

Thanks for the kind words!

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Hello again!

Who are the biggest influences on you work?

How much of what's happening in the world today affect what you write?

What is one of your favorite comfort foods?

My Alexa just asked why do I ask so many questions.

Mr. BUSIEK,

Any ideas on how to use Black Knight so he can be in a monthly book?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Who are the biggest influences on you work?
    It probably varies a lot, but Jack Kirby, Leonard Starr, Milton Caniff, Steve Englehart, Frank Miller, Archie Goodwin and Jo Duffy come to mind, as do William Goldman, Lawrence Block and Susan Cooper.

How much of what's happening in the world today affect what you write?
    Probably a fair amount, but most of it subconsciously.

What is one of your favorite comfort foods?
    Macaroni and cheese.

My Alexa just asked why do I ask so many questions.
    You're on your own there, pal.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    Any ideas on how to use Black Knight so he can be in a monthly book?
    I haven't really thought about it, but offhand, he needs a distinctive mission that's somehow related to his image and heritage, an interesting setting, an engaging supporting cast and at least a solid start on what could be a decent rogue's gallery.

It might be possible to do something with the idea of a knight errant -- he needs to prove himself to someone to be worthy of the status of knight (Roma? Merlin? His ancestor?), he probably needs some people to protect (is his hometown in trouble? Does he feel a knightly obligation to help the people? the supporting players could be characters who'll connect him to the community he most often protects). That sort of thing.

kdb

Thanks for responding to my question.

Mr. Busiek,

1. You're one of may favorite comic writers. Thanks for so many years of entertainment!

2. Thanks for doing this.

3. I'm trying to wrap up all my long running writing exercises to finally give my brain a rest, and my longest running has been trying to do my own Amalgam Universe. Since you and Karl Kesel were the best at writing those, I was wondering if you could tell your favorite of these groups (an odd question? Yes. But when will I get this chance again. :

A:
    Martian Manhunter + Edwin Jarvis = J'onn J'arvis, Martian Manservant
    Martian Manhunter + Wasp = Martian Manicpixiechick

B:
    Atom (Ray Palmer) + Iron Man = Ion Man
    Atom + Ant-Man = Atomic Ant-Man

C:
    Firestorm (Prof Stein & Ronnie) + Iron Man & Jarvis = Ironforge, Ronny Stark & Martin Jarvis
    Firestorm (Prof Stein & Ronnie) + Ant-Man (Hank) and Wasp (Janet) = Fire-Ant/Firefly (depending who initiates) aka Janet Raymond and Martin Pym

D.
    Zatanna + Wasp = Pixie
    Zatanna + Hellcat = Spellcat
    Zatanna + Scarlet Witch = Magenta, The Starlet Witch

Thanks in advance from my brain and me!
    Last edited by edpower; 02-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Fantastic Member

Hi Kurt!

I don't often get to thank the people behind the stories that fire my imagination and add a spring to my step, so a big "thank you" for all of the years of brilliant writing you've given me!

You had the opportunity to write the Justice Society of America in the fabled era of the annual JLA-JSA crossovers. Did you enjoy writing this legendary super team and do you think its still possible to tell new stories with these characters without throwing away their long and storied backstory (i.e. being formed in 1940, growing old, having children and grandchildren, etc.)?

Thanks for looking at this message and I'm absolutely loving the work you and Mark Waid are doing on Archie 1941 (any chance that this could be an ongoing?)!

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    1. You're one of may favorite comic writers. Thanks for so many years of entertainment!

2. Thanks for doing this.

3. I'm trying to wrap up all my long running writing exercises to finally give my brain a rest, and my longest running has been trying to do my own Amalgam Universe. Since you and Karl Kesel were the best at writing those, I was wondering if you could tell your favorite of these groups (an odd question? Yes. But when will I get this chance again. :
    1. Thanks! 2. No prob. 3. I'm really not the guy for this, but since you're asking --

Martian Manservant, Atomic Ant-Man, neither are all that stirring, and Spellcat.

On the other hand, Wandanna, the Starlet Witch would be fun, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    I don't often get to thank the people behind the stories that fire my imagination and add a spring to my step, so a big "thank you" for all of the years of brilliant writing you've given me!
    My pleasure, Stingo.

You had the opportunity to write the Justice Society of America in the fabled era of the annual JLA-JSA crossovers. Did you enjoy writing this legendary super team and do you think its still possible to tell new stories with these characters without throwing away their long and storied backstory (i.e. being formed in 1940, growing old, having children and grandchildren, etc.)?
    Sure -- their backstory is the fun part.

I'm absolutely loving the work you and Mark Waid are doing on Archie 1941 (any chance that this could be an ongoing?)!
    I'm not actually working on ARCHIE 1941 -- I think Mark's co-writing it with Brian Augustyn, isn't he? -- but I've enjoyed what I've read of it, and I'd be in favor of an ongoing series. Or at least a series that turned into ARCHIE 1942, then 1943, and so on.

kdb

Hi Mr Busiek. Another question about your Iron Man run. Tony is known for having Major Depressive Disorder and has had breakdowns before as well. I noticed in your run you had Jocasta be his psychiatrist. It was such a great idea to help Tony get through some very rough times in his life. What made you think of it? Was it Tony's pass issues with mental health and his thoughts about suicide? It also makes him more relatable which makes it more engrossing when you can relate to your favorite hero. Thanks again Mr. Busiek for answering our questions and your great work over the years.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 02-05-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Mr. Busiek, other than the Lee/Kirby run, what era of FF was your favorite?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Kurt, are there any plans for, or chances of, getting Astro City in hardcover omnibus format?