Page 28 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Hey Kurt, I had a question regarding the Thunderbolts (a personal favorite of mine):

How did the idea come into place?

A comic where supervillains truly go legit after finding out heroism is better was good fun, and I understand that the Marvel of that era (1997) is very different from the Marvel of today. Given they were facing a possible shutdown after just declaring bankruptcy, and made Onslaught to promote an event which led to the "reboot" of Heroes Reborn, the way the Thunderbolts were inserted in their absence was clever. I never was a fan of Onslaught or Heroes Reborn, but I felt that Thunderbolts was making the best of a bad situation. I mean, it was one of Zemo's best stories, and other characters got a needed revamp (such as Screaming Mimi, considered a tough but hardly noteworthy thug, becoming Songbird and becoming way cooler or Beetle, going from a recurring punching bag to MACH, a legitimate and somewhat dorky crimefighter). It was a standout of its time.

Which leads to the question above, as I'm curious as to how all lined together. Thanks!

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Thanks for the very kind birthday wishes, all!

Thanks very much -- I'm glad you liked it.

Not specifically -- I like Priest just fine, but I've liked the Black Panther even longer. So we used him in AVENGERS here and there because he's a cool character who has a long history with the Avengers and he's fun to write, so he should crop up from time to time.

kdb
    Thank you for the response!

I mean to say in my previous post "When it comes to Avenger's Villians, I am not much of a Thanos fan ( probably because you did not write him as a main antagonist lol). I prefer Kang & Ultron ( I hope Kang is the next Thanos level treat in the MCU & that they base it on the Kang Dynasty)."

Would you ever consider writing a Black Panther mini-series for Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Hey Kurt, I had a question regarding the Thunderbolts (a personal favorite of mine):

How did the idea come into place?

A comic where supervillains truly go legit after finding out heroism is better was good fun, and I understand that the Marvel of that era (1997) is very different from the Marvel of today. Given they were facing a possible shutdown after just declaring bankruptcy, and made Onslaught to promote an event which led to the "reboot" of Heroes Reborn, the way the Thunderbolts were inserted in their absence was clever. I never was a fan of Onslaught or Heroes Reborn, but I felt that Thunderbolts was making the best of a bad situation. I mean, it was one of Zemo's best stories, and other characters got a needed revamp (such as Screaming Mimi, considered a tough but hardly noteworthy thug, becoming Songbird and becoming way cooler or Beetle, going from a recurring punching bag to MACH, a legitimate and somewhat dorky crimefighter). It was a standout of its time.

Which leads to the question above, as I'm curious as to how all lined together. Thanks!
    It started out as an idea I had on a long drive years earlier:

When Captain America returned to the Avengers in #16, to discover that the originals had been replaced by Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch...what if they weren't reformed? What if they were still villains, and this was all a plan?

I like villain stories, and I like redemption stories, so I kept thinking about ways to do that idea. And when Onslaught happened, and I got invited to a Marvel creative retreat to discuss what to do in the wake of it, I pitched Tom Brevoort: What if a new team arises, with the promise of being the new Avengers or FF, the noble heroes on the wall that guard us so we can sleep safe at night? And what if they weren't heroes at all, but the Masters of Evil in disguise?

And then the next question was: And what if some of them -- not all of them, but some of them -- discovered that they liked being heroes? And they didn't want to go through with the scheme?

That was enough. That was the foundation. Tom liked it, and at the retreat, we pitched it to Bob Harras, who said, "That's good. Let's do it."

So we did.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Would you ever consider writing a Black Panther mini-series for Marvel?
    I don't know. I like T'Challa, but I think they'll be able to find other writers than me to do the book, and I've got so many other things I want to do that I don't know if I'd ever get around to it.

But I wouldn't say "never." Just that it doesn't seem likely.

BANNED

Why does the trope of alternate realities feature in most of your work at the big two? Do you feel fascinated by the could bes and what ifs? Which alternate reality storyline was your best in your opinion? Belated wishes on your birthday btw.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Since you wrote a good amount of stories featuring Carol Danvers , what were your thoughts on the Captain Marvel movie? How did you feel about her overall portrayal in the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Why does the trope of alternate realities feature in most of your work at the big two? Do you feel fascinated by the could bes and what ifs? Which alternate reality storyline was your best in your opinion? Belated wishes on your birthday btw.
    Thanks.

I hadn't really noticed that alternate realities featured in most of my Marvel/DC work. I hadn't really thought about it.

I liked the old Earth-One/Earth-Two setup, as alternate realities go...

Amazing Member

Kurt, i just wanted to express my joy in seeing your avatar on here. "The Point" was one of my favorite animated flicks growing up (and the Harry Nilsson album that goes along with it is awesome too!)

Quote Originally Posted by twiztor View Post
    Kurt, i just wanted to express my joy in seeing your avatar on here.
    It's just me and my Arrow.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Hello Mr. Busiek! In regards to your Avengers run from 1998, I was wondering about the creation of the character of Silverclaw, why she came to be the way she was with her powers and such, and why she didn't seem to be quite as prominent after you left the series. Did her character just not work out with the later writers or was she featured less for another reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Hello Mr. Busiek! In regards to your Avengers run from 1998, I was wondering about the creation of the character of Silverclaw, why she came to be the way she was with her powers and such, and why she didn't seem to be quite as prominent after you left the series. Did her character just not work out with the later writers or was she featured less for another reason?

she should lead Avengers South America.

If you were in charge of the next avengers cartoon what members would you choose and would you sneak lesser known members like stingray and darkhawk into episode? Would you do the same members each episode or do like the 80s mask cartoon and have them call in a member that would be useful to that mission each episode?

What was it like helping to make the lego marvel heroes 2 game? Did they let you choose any hero and was it fun to help with the game? (love that you gave stingray a big part of that level!)

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

Bob Harras asked George and I to create a new Avenger, like the Vision had been created in Roy's run, or Mantis is Steve's, or the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel -- who debuted in a Spider-Man annual, but was created for Roger's Avengers run.

I figured we should create two, so readers couldn't predict which might join (though both did), Silverclaw and Triathlon.

Silverclaw came from some visual ideas I'd had earlier for Animal Man, though George didn't follow my visual ideas, and treated her more like Changeling -- so maybe I'll use those ideas again elsewhere -- but that was the starting point. I also liked the idea that Jarvis had signed up for one of those "sponsor an orphan" programs, and they realized he was the Avengers' butler and made sure he got the superpowers troublesome orphan.

You'd have to ask the other writers why they didn't use her; it wasn't up to me, not once I was gone. I assume they just wanted to use other characters.

I did want to transition her to a more superhero-y outfit once she became an actual Avengers, but at the time we were shifting artists a lot and Tom Brevoort suggested we leave her as is until we had more stability. And then I was gone, and it never happened. So it goes, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    If you were in charge of the next avengers cartoon what members would you choose and would you sneak lesser known members like stingray and darkhawk into episode? Would you do the same members each episode or do like the 80s mask cartoon and have them call in a member that would be useful to that mission each episode?
    I have no idea. Since I haven't worked in animation, and haven't watched any of the earlier Avengers cartoons, I haven't given that any thought.

I'd probably make sure Ixar and the Ultroids showed up, though, just for the fun of it.

What was it like helping to make the lego marvel heroes 2 game? Did they let you choose any hero and was it fun to help with the game? (love that you gave stingray a big part of that level!)
    It was a lot of fun. By the time they came to me, they'd already taken AVENGERS FOREVER and THE KANG DYNASTY and kind of mashed them together to create a story structure, and my main job was helping them finesse that, building new scenes or reworking what was there to turn the story into something that worked as a game, keeping the character dynamics and the underlying themes, but stripping away the bits that didn't work for this particular story and replacing them with bits that did.

I didn't have a lot to do with the game-play parts, mostly the overall story structure, though I did make a bunch of suggestions for characters they could use in the various game scenarios (mostly villains).

But it was a treat to do.

kdb

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Bob Harras asked George and I to create a new Avenger, like the Vision had been created in Roy's run, or Mantis is Steve's, or the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel -- who debuted in a Spider-Man annual, but was created for Roger's Avengers run.

I figured we should create two, so readers couldn't predict which might join (though both did), Silverclaw and Triathlon.

Silverclaw came from some visual ideas I'd had earlier for Animal Man, though George didn't follow my visual ideas, and treated her more like Changeling -- so maybe I'll use those ideas again elsewhere -- but that was the starting point. I also liked the idea that Jarvis had signed up for one of those "sponsor an orphan" programs, and they realized he was the Avengers' butler and made sure he got the superpowers troublesome orphan.

You'd have to ask the other writers why they didn't use her; it wasn't up to me, not once I was gone. I assume they just wanted to use other characters.

I did want to transition her to a more superhero-y outfit once she became an actual Avengers, but at the time we were shifting artists a lot and Tom Brevoort suggested we leave her as is until we had more stability. And then I was gone, and it never happened. So it goes, sometimes.
    Ah, never noticed the pattern of a new Avenger addition until now. Bummer that the full transition didn't happen. She seemed to be an interesting character with interesting powers that I'm sure could have been potentially fleshed out more, though I suppose time will only tell if a later writer decides to fully follow through with that, and that if a rather old, though relatively less prominent character like Firestar can be included into the Avengers, then I suppose anything's possible. Thanks for the reply!