Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

What's your top 3 favorite TV series that's airing currently, doesn't have to be Comic based necessarily...

Also, are you into Arrow/Gotham/Agents of SHIELD at all... if so, what's your impressions on them.. excited at all? Are Comics translating well to these types of TV series, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    What's your top 3 favorite TV series that's airing currently, doesn't have to be Comic based necessarily...
    As noted just recently, I rarely have favorites of things, and I certainly can't rank top-three favorite anything.

But to pick some TV series I'm enjoying a lot: THE GOOD WIFE, HOMELAND and EPISODES.

Also, are you into Arrow/Gotham/Agents of SHIELD at all... if so, what's your impressions on them.. excited at all? Are Comics translating well to these types of TV series, do you think?
    I don't watch ARROW. I watch AGENTS OF SHIELD, but would have given up on it sometime last season except that my wife enjoys it. I liked the pilot for GOTHAM. I'll try FLASH and AGENT 13 when they crop up. But I don't seek out comic book adaptations -- I just want to watch good shows, and I don't care where they get their source material.

[Except, of course, that there should be an ASTRO CITY TV show, an ARROWSMITH TV show, a SUPERSTAR TV show, a TOOTH & CLAW TV show, a LIBERTY PROJECT movie franchise, and hmm, a few other things, I'm sure.]

I think the show that felt the most like a comic book on TV wasn't even based on a comic book. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER really felt like a good superhero comic.

And I couldn't say whether comics are translating well -- some are, some aren't, I'm sure. But that's an individual thing -- THE WALKING DEAD is a big success, but whether that means some other comic will also work well, who knows? If the next one is done by good people who know how to capture the spirit of the source material in a way that works on TV, then good. But if they don't, not so good.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Thanks for the reply, wouldn't have guessed "Episodes"... cool.

Curious to me that you would try Flash but not Arrow, i don't want to pry though.
    [or.. perhaps you tried it already and wasn't feeling it]
    Last edited by SXVA; 09-29-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I think maybe you'd need to ask an artist that.

Could be that you're seeing the difference between a story drawn from a plot and one drawn from a full script? I don't really know -- I can think of stories with captions that are absolutely clear visually, and others that aren't, so I'm not sure whether the two have a direct relationship.

kdb
    Thanks for the time and answer, Kurt.

I had some ideas, but was mostly plotting the book organically. So I knew that was a springboard for future developments, but I didn't yet know what they were going to be.

One way it could have gone would be:

A. Something happens and Hawkeye finds out. He's offended and wants there to be some sort of justice done, but there isn't any, because no court of Earth is equipped to prosecute someone for murdering an alien off-planet.

B. Kosmosian soldiers arrive on Earth to arrest Karla, having finally finished some sort of internecine struggle and wanting to execute her. She gets dragged back to Kosmos, but Hawkeye and the Bolts follow, because he wants to make sure it's justice that's done, not vengeance. And he's not sure that being tortured in the Kosmos-verse (as Atlas was) is any sort of humane punishment.

C. Once back on Kosmos, they find out that the factions that have taken powers are brutal assholes, and there's a rebellion in the name of the decent people there. Hawkeye and the Bolts aid in the rebellion, and Karla ends up winning the key conflict that puts a good ruler on the throne. She gets pardoned for regicide, and shoots that in Clint's face -- she's not guilty of anything, ha!

D. They go back to Earth, but Clint and Karla's relationship is now soured, and he knows how manipulative she can be. So now it's Clint vs. Karla for the soul of the team...

But it could have gone some other way, as well.
    kdb
    SQUEAL!!! This sounds awesome!!!! Ohhhhh, now I'm very sad we never got to see this story; but I love that as the explanation; feels absolutely perfect. Thank-you for this; it made my day.

Keep in mind that, as in the previous thread, I'm not going to be offering a lot of opinions on current comics. These are books being produced by (often) friends of mine, so while I'm happy to say, "This one's terrific," I don't want to say, "That one's a pile of crap." And if I answer when I like a book but don't say anything when I don't, it becomes pretty easy to tell.

So mostly, I'd rather not have people ask "What did you think of X?" Odds are I haven't read it, but in the event that I have and don't like it, I don't want to speak ill of my colleagues.

kdb
    IMHO, a perfectly understandable position.

I'm not currently looking to do more Marvel Universe or DC Universe stuff, so it doesn't make much sense to choose what kind of books I'd want to write if I was to do something I'm not really looking to do.

Sorry.

kdb
    No prob. Just a fan's curiosity. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Peace

Mr Busiek, thank you for answering questions and wanted to say I enjoyed your work.

This might sound like an odd question to ask considering this is the Marvel side of CBR but I have a DC question. Your Superman run, you had an issue where Superman encountered Bruno Mannheim of Intergang who had been turned into a giant. He was teleported away at the end and it was said that someone other than Darkseid was his benefactor but we never find out who. If I might ask, who did you intend to be the big bad supporting Mannheim?

Or did I miss an issue?

Extraordinary Member

Maybe this is redundant since you mentioned what you're reading, but now that you're not writing Big Two comics, do you feel less inclined to keep up with their current work?

Hi again Kurt!

What are some of the themes you like to explore in your writing as far as your characters go? Morality? Redemption? The darker aspects of human nature? A combination of things?

BANNED

Mr. Busiek

Not sure if you know the answer to this but I figured I would ask anyway....what was the general opinion or feeling towards Marvels first character Namor and the Human Torch while you were working there ? With Marvel 75th Anniversary happening next month I am again wondering why these two character have often not received the amount of attention or status that founders of comic universe rightfully deserve. Was it do to not being liked very much, no general interest, legal reasons, or something else entirely?

I have always been captivated with marvels history in and out of universe and I have always found it odd that both Namor and Jim Hammond are not among Thor, Cap, Iron Man and so on as it's worlds greatest champions. Please put this lingering question to rest for me.

Thank you
    Last edited by Trident; 09-30-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Curious to me that you would try Flash but not Arrow, i don't want to pry though.
    [or.. perhaps you tried it already and wasn't feeling it]
    ARROW just didn't look like my kinda thing. The trailers for FLASH look like it's worth a try, at least. They're fun.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    Mr Busiek, thank you for answering questions and wanted to say I enjoyed your work.

This might sound like an odd question to ask considering this is the Marvel side of CBR but I have a DC question. Your Superman run, you had an issue where Superman encountered Bruno Mannheim of Intergang who had been turned into a giant. He was teleported away at the end and it was said that someone other than Darkseid was his benefactor but we never find out who. If I might ask, who did you intend to be the big bad supporting Mannheim?

Or did I miss an issue?
    The "big bad" was the new head of Intergang, about which I will say nothing, because my plans for Intergang were transformative enough to turn into a whole new thing, somewhere.

But (a) I never got to it, and (b) other writers used Mannheim in ways that flat-out contradicted my plans, even though my editor told me he'd been reserved to us and no one else could use him without permission. So, well, so it goes, sometimes.

kdb

Mr.Busiek,
    There have been 3 volumes of "Classic Thunderbolts" published thus far. Will there be any more volumes published?
    Is there ever a chance that JLA/Avengers will ever be made into an animated movie?

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Maybe this is redundant since you mentioned what you're reading, but now that you're not writing Big Two comics, do you feel less inclined to keep up with their current work?
    Definitely. I used to read everything, back when I was on the comp lists. Then I switched to reading enough to keep up and _saving_ everything, just in case I needed it someday for research.

But the idea that either company's history is such that I'll _need_ that stuff for research is unlikely, even if I wind up writing stuff for them again. Using obscure history's fallen pretty well out of fashion.

So I don't need to keep up, and I find myself put off by all the line-wide events, so I'm drifting away to books that have a strong, clear, consistent creative vision. I'll still read Big Universe books if I think I'll like them and they won't steer me into crossovers, but I don't feel any itch to be on top of the continuity.

And that's fine. Marvel and DC shouldn't be aiming their books at me anyway. They want younger readers who haven't been through 40 years of big-universe hijinks. What I'm tired of is often what other readers love. So it's cool. I've got more than enough to read as is.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Hi again Kurt!

What are some of the themes you like to explore in your writing as far as your characters go? Morality? Redemption? The darker aspects of human nature? A combination of things?

I don't set out to explore specific themes -- I just write stories, and themes arise.

But yeah, redemption is definitely one of them. As is hope. And the value of just doggedly stumbling forward toward one's goals...

kdb