Page 58 of 74 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

BANNED

Mr. Busiek, what were thoughts on WandaVision. I ask because you were the first to say Wanda wielded chaos magic. Meaning the show revealing it was chaos magic drew from your work. Were you happy about this?

To go with that, was it your intention to depict Wanda as a conduit of Chthon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    The Marvels #5 was another great issue! Especially enjoyed the international teams taking on the monsters. Where the monsters new or pre-existing characters? This is by far my favorite Marvel series out right now. Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Love seeing characters like Ace and Dakota North showing up in Marvels!

And, bonus, not just (some) Agents of Atlas and Winter Guard, but also those new kids on the block, the Union! (It doesn't count as nostalgia if they just came out a year or two ago, right?) Love international hero teams. Hope to see some Alpha Flight, China Force (ugh, what a name), Triumph Division, Big Hero 6, etc. again some day.
    Second these ideas regarding Marvels. I find the title to be an elusive one, in a good way. There are famous heroes in this for sure, but the levels of Marvel history found in the title are fascinating. The elements found in the book aren't just old, but obscure in a way. Seeing Arkus, the original Vision, threw me a bit. I remember reading about him on some online Marvel database years back, but he exists on the fringe. Is this other Warbird also an obscure character or someone completely new? I like how the title plays with that, asking the reader to figure out what is new or relatively unknown.

And yes I dug the appearance of Aero and other members of the Agents of Atlas.

Looking forward to the rest of the series!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Mr. Busiek, what were thoughts on WandaVision. I ask because you were the first to say Wanda wielded chaos magic. Meaning the show revealing it was chaos magic drew from your work. Were you happy about this?
    I really enjoyed the show. I thought it started out pretty slow (rule one of doing pastiches of sitcoms for several episodes: you need to make them funny), but it built really well.

I liked that they used chaos magic. I'd have been happier with a thank-you credit and a check, but it was nice to see anyway.

I'm looking forward to future developments.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    To go with that, was it your intention to depict Wanda as a conduit of Chthon?
    Wanda was used as a conduit of Chthon back in the 70s -- I think it was Mark Gruenwald, Steven Grant and maybe Roger Stern who cooked that up.

I figured there was always the chance he'd try again, but it's not something I added to the story.

kdb

Issue 5 of the marvels was on point. Im glad i hung in there as this is the issue where it all comes together for me. Kudos. The rest of the issues were great to be sure but this issue everything sort of clicked for me.

Edit: funny enough i like the team dynmic so much in issue 5 i was playing ultimate alliance with storm, torch, captain america, and doctor strange the other day. Lol
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-03-2021 at 05:19 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Wanda was used as a conduit of Chthon back in the 70s -- I think it was Mark Gruenwald, Steven Grant and maybe Roger Stern who cooked that up.

I figured there was always the chance he'd try again, but it's not something I added to the story.

kdb
    Ah I see, there's a lot of those old plot twists where it's hard to be sure which creator first did it since I can't simply read all of the stuff.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

kdb
    Correct as usual. Chthon reveals that he imbued Wanda with his mystical "gift" as an infant (waaaay back in Avengers 187).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Just wanted to add i appreciate the consistent art team on the book as well. It does feel like a long time between issues but it's worth it because it has a very firm look that i feel fits the writing style, like and i hope this is no offense it just feels more like an old school comic sort of like how i feel when i read a bagley run so i hope the art team sticks around for the long haul as well.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Mr. Busiek I'm enjoying your Marvels and love your reference of history, just one thing that bother and thats just a concerned animal lover. Felicia is known to keep pet cats. They always seen when we see her apartment, almost every time, were they there when her apartment exploded last issue, if they were, Felicia would probably be more broken up and saddened about her apartment that her little babies were casualties. Maybe when Spidey went there to check on her stuff, he found her cats survived. I really hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Mr. Busiek I'm enjoying your Marvels and love your reference of history, just one thing that bother and thats just a concerned animal lover. Felicia is known to keep pet cats. They always seen when we see her apartment, almost every time, were they there when her apartment exploded last issue, if they were, Felicia would probably be more broken up and saddened about her apartment that her little babies were casualties. Maybe when Spidey went there to check on her stuff, he found her cats survived. I really hope so.
    The apartment didn't explode like there was a bomb. Lotus's monsters hatched in it and crashed out through the wall.

The monsters wouldn't have bothered the cats -- they were after Felicia and Kevin -- and the cats are smart enough to have stayed in safe areas of the apartment (or even if they fell through the floor, they landed on their feet).

They're fine.

kdb

Astonishing Member

The apartment didn't explode like there was a bomb. Lotus's monsters hatched in it and crashed out through the wall.

The monsters wouldn't have bothered the cats -- they were after Felicia and Kevin -- and the cats are smart enough to have stayed in safe areas of the apartment (or even if they fell through the floor, they landed on their feet).

They're fine.

kdb
    Thank you, I was worried there, I suppose when Peter go over there to check on the apartment, he will see how they are doing and maybe provide some sort of temporary shelter or they can be outdoor for bit till the apartment is fixed.

kdb
    Jessica Drew has Chthon stories as well. Odd how she is also from Wundagore...
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Jessica Drew has Chthon stories as well. Odd how she is also from Wundagore...
    While the Twins do not have any relation to Jessica Drew (that we know of now, anyway!), I like that there is another character from Wundagore Mountain! The High Evolutionary and Jessica's father worked together there and adds lore to this Marvel Mystical area.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Long live WarBird! Just saying. Keep her around.
    Don't kill her!