Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Thank you Mr. Busiek for you well thought out answers. And thank you very much for taking the time out to answer fans such as myself and the others on this board
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Mr. Busiek how did you come up with the idea to use her and to kill her off? It really made a impact in the book.
    I wanted something to do with the supporting cast, and since Sally never appeared again and Jason I made up, I had free rein with them. The idea of someone who was inspired to become a hero like Spidey but who didn't have his sense of responsibility and fear of screwing up made for a nice contrast, but while new villains like Scorcher could go to jail and come back years later, a new ongoing superhero character would be hard to stitch into Marvel history on an ongoing basis. So something would have to happen to make her stop being Bluebird, and this made for a dramatic finish to the storyline.

Would you bring back bluebird as a new hero using the costume and name? Peter may not be happy if someone else started using that costume!
    I don't know that I would, but then, I'm not writing a Spidey book. If someone else wanted to do it, it'd be an interesting development, for sure.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thank you Mr. Busiek for you well thought out answers. And thank you very much for taking the time out to answer fans such as myself and the others on this board
    My pleasure.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I don't know that I would, but then, I'm not writing a Spidey book. If someone else wanted to do it, it'd be an interesting development, for sure.

kdb
    Would you think if the character or someone using the name Bluebird would have to be in a Spidey book? Would you be upset if someone else used them else where? If they could come up with a good story behind how and why? not Sally of course but a person using the name and costume?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It would be hard on peter if someone did show up in that costume as it hit peter hard. Would make a good story.

She did show up in the mcu spider-man films at least as a minor background role.

Speaking of untold tales what ever happened to Josephine Pulaski from amazing fantasy 17? She never shows up again does she? She is a mutant so you think she would show up in x-men.

Would you bring her back in a story? She was peters first friend with powers before he was friends with the torch.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-27-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Would you think if the character or someone using the name Bluebird would have to be in a Spidey book?
    It wouldn't have to be, but it'd create more tension if it was.

Would you be upset if someone else used them else where? If they could come up with a good story behind how and why? not Sally of course but a person using the name and costume?
    No, not at all -- I like it when other creators want to use characters I co-created. At least in most cases -- I wouldn't want to see Maggie the mutant girl from MARVELS pick up a couple of Uzis and join X-Force or anything. But a big part of the fun of a shared universe is the sharing.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Speaking of untold tales what ever happened to Josephine Pulaski from amazing fantasy 17? She never shows up again does she? She is a mutant so you think she would show up in x-men.
    I don't think she ever appeared again, but if an X-writer wanted to use her, she's available.

Would you bring her back in a story? She was peters first friend with powers before he was friends with the torch.
    I don't have any plans to, but if I was writing a Spidey book I'd at least think about it.

I'd look at all the new characters I planted in Spidey's past and see what might be done with them in the present.

kdb

Mr. Busiek, in light of the recent sad news about Mr. Perez's health, I've been re-reading your run of the Avengers (I have it all in trades and floppies, but the trade format makes it easier to read all the way through), and, though I've read it about a dozen times, over the years, it's still an incredibly exciting and fresh read. I've now reached a point when I've decided to read Avengers Forever, and, as soon as I got it, some old curiosities returned to bug me. It's been around 25 years, do you and Carlos Pacheco, and Marvel, of course, have plans to ever give us "Avengers - World in Chains"? As much as I loved Avengers Forever (and yes, it ranks high among my top ten favorite Avengers stories ever, as do two other of your sagas), the premise of Avengers - World in Chains always intrigued the hell out of me. Just to wet the appetite, do you remember which Avengers were going to fit proeminently in your tale? How were they different from the versions we know/or knew? I won't even ask you for stories details, but that would really be a treat to know.

Peace

Which Marvel character was your favorite to write?

Is there a Marvel character you would love to write but haven't gotten a chance to write?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Hi Kurt. I have been really enjoying The Marvels. Especially Kevin Schumer. He had one of the Porcupine’s original armor quill launcher. I thought that was a very cool bit of nostalgia. My question is will he be getting a code name eventually? Perhaps a mini? Would love to see him use all those gadgets he and his uncle the Tinkerer have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I've been re-reading your run of the Avengers (I have it all in trades and floppies, but the trade format makes it easier to read all the way through), and, though I've read it about a dozen times, over the years, it's still an incredibly exciting and fresh read.
    I'm very glad you're liking it!

It's been around 25 years, do you and Carlos Pacheco, and Marvel, of course, have plans to ever give us "Avengers - World in Chains"?
    We don't currently have any plans for that, but you never know.

At one point, I was rewriting it to be a non-Marvel property, and had it lined up to do at Image, but the artist who was drawing it died unexpectedly.

I'd like to get back to it in one form or another eventually, but I don't know when.

Just to wet the appetite, do you remember which Avengers were going to fit proeminently in your tale?
    Captain America would have been the most prominent Avenger in it, and we never did get around to deciding who the other Avengers would be. I'm pretty sure one of them would have been Doctor Doom, though, since the Avengers were operating out of Latveria.

More than that, though, I'd rather not say.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Which Marvel character was your favorite to write?
    Probably Hawkeye. He was always a treat to write.

Is there a Marvel character you would love to write but haven't gotten a chance to write?
    I've written an awful lot of them...

There are characters I've written that I'd like to get more of a shot at, like the FF -- it's one thing to write them in a cameo, but it's quite a different thing to get to steer the series.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Hi Kurt. I have been really enjoying The Marvels. Especially Kevin Schumer. He had one of the Porcupine’s original armor quill launcher. I thought that was a very cool bit of nostalgia. My question is will he be getting a code name eventually? Perhaps a mini? Would love to see him use all those gadgets he and his uncle the Tinkerer have.
    I don't think he's a superhero, in the usual terms, so I don't think he'd get a code name. I think it's part of his appeal that he's superhero-adjacent, but not actually one of them.

If he ever got a mini (which could be a lot of fun), I'd be tempted just to call it KSHOOM.

Or maybe #KSHOOM.

kdb

Have you ever seriously considered writing a comic like X-Men or X-Statix?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I'm very glad you're liking it!

We don't currently have any plans for that, but you never know.

At one point, I was rewriting it to be a non-Marvel property, and had it lined up to do at Image, but the artist who was drawing it died unexpectedly.

I'd like to get back to it in one form or another eventually, but I don't know when.

Captain America would have been the most prominent Avenger in it, and we never did get around to deciding who the other Avengers would be. I'm pretty sure one of them would have been Doctor Doom, though, since the Avengers were operating out of Latveria.

More than that, though, I'd rather not say.

kdb
    Wow.....I know I would have read that! Would this have been more of an alternate timeline story? A follow up to Avengers Forever? Seems to me you haven't done many tales with Doom, at least not a multi part story.

Was it a problem sometimes getting the use of characters you wanted to use if they were being used in different titles?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-12-2022 at 11:58 PM.