Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

so, what characters and stories did you enjoy writing most?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    so, what characters and stories did you enjoy writing most?
    That's always hard to answer, because I tend to enjoy what I'm writing as I'm writing it, and so whichever characters I'm writing at the moment stand out.

That said, I find it's always fun to write Steeljack and Marta Dobrescu from ASTRO CITY -- every time I get to write a story from their POV, I reflect that I could write whole novels in that voice and never get bored.

And I really liked writing SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY at DC.

At Marvel, I have a blast when I get to write the original X-Men, but surprisingly I also like writing from the Punisher's or Wolverine's POV. And Moonstone of the Thunderbolts -- she's so selfish and manipulative that it's always refreshing to write her. Then again, the Thunderbolts were consistently a blast to write, because they didn't have traditional heroic motivations.

Iron Man's always fun to write, too.

So it varies, and I usually like whatever I'm writing at the moment a lot, but those are some of the high points that stick out.On another day I might have a completely different list.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

BANNED

Hi Kurt- do you have a final story for Astro City in mind at some point? Or has it already been told, like the Silver Agent saga? Nice to see you on here.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    Hi Kurt- do you have a final story for Astro City in mind at some point? Or has it already been told, like the Silver Agent saga? Nice to see you on here.
    I do have a story in mind, and we'll see if it changes as we get closer to it.

Probably will.

kdb

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I do have a story in mind, and we'll see if it changes as we get closer to it.

Probably will.

kdb
    Thanks! Do you know when it may see print, or how long the series may keep going? And if I can't ask any details, is it a single issue or a multi-part story arc?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    Thanks! Do you know when it may see print, or how long the series may keep going? And if I can't ask any details, is it a single issue or a multi-part story arc?
    There's quite a while to go before we'd get to the end.

As such, I can't tell you what shape it'd take or when it'll hit.

kdb

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Are there any villains that you've never used as a significant character in a story arc that you'd like to feature some day?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Are there any villains that you've never used as a significant character in a story arc that you'd like to feature some day?
    Zodiac, the Lethal Legion and, ah, Microwave Man.

kdb

Zodiac, the Lethal Legion and, ah, Microwave Man.

kdb
    Would have loved to see your take on the Zodiac Cartel. The Lethal Legion too.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Would have loved to see your take on the Zodiac Cartel. The Lethal Legion too.
    I had very different ideas on both from what has been seen before...

kdb

Having recently re-read Avengers Forever, I have a question about Rick Jones/Captain Marvel. When future Marvel switches with future Rick Jones, Rick has an arm missing, is quite older, his face is sacared, he's wearing Falcon's boots, Johnny Blaze's shirt, Supeman's cape as a poncho, Batman's utility belt, and the Eye of Agamotto as a pin to keep the armless sleve of the shirt oin place, among other things. In the following Captain Marvel series, by Peter David, I recall that plot thread took place, was solved and reverted over the course of a few issues. Was that status for Rick your idea or were you setting it up for PAD? If it was your idea, what did you have in mind for Rick's future. How did he get to that point? Was there a way out in mind for him? Also, did you really have plans to bring Songbird and Captain Marvel into the team, and that got derailed, or were you planning on leaving it up to future writers?

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Having recently re-read Avengers Forever, I have a question about Rick Jones/Captain Marvel. When future Marvel switches with future Rick Jones, Rick has an arm missing, is quite older, his face is sacared, he's wearing Falcon's boots, Johnny Blaze's shirt, Supeman's cape as a poncho, Batman's utility belt, and the Eye of Agamotto as a pin to keep the armless sleve of the shirt oin place, among other things. In the following Captain Marvel series, by Peter David, I recall that plot thread took place, was solved and reverted over the course of a few issues. Was that status for Rick your idea or were you setting it up for PAD? If it was your idea, what did you have in mind for Rick's future. How did he get to that point? Was there a way out in mind for him? Also, did you really have plans to bring Songbird and Captain Marvel into the team, and that got derailed, or were you planning on leaving it up to future writers?
    When we started AVENGERS FOREVER, we didn't know a CAPTAIN MARVEL series would spin out from it, so we weren't planning for any specific series.

But the idea that Rick had had a storied life, that there were lots of events to look forward to, that would happen at some point in the future, thus giving his life some milestones that a writer could tease or fulfill or build toward, felt like it'd make the character more interesting, as readers wondered where that path would lead.

Peter apparently didn't have an interest in that, nor did he have an interest in ignoring it, to leave it open for future writers, so he wrote it out of existence. Which was his privilege -- if he's writing the series, he's the one who gets to decide. I was a little disappointed and felt that it was a missed opportunity, but so it goes.

If I'd been writing it, I'd definitely have explored it, but I didn't have anything specifically plotted out. It was just intriguing stuff that could be explored in any number of ways.

And if I'd stayed on AVENGERS, I think we'd have gotten Songbird onto the team fairly soon, but it felt to me like Genis would be along later, not for a few years at least. Still, plans change, and you never know.

kdb

When we started AVENGERS FOREVER, we didn't know a CAPTAIN MARVEL series would spin out from it, so we weren't planning for any specific series.

But the idea that Rick had had a storied life, that there were lots of events to look forward to, that would happen at some point in the future, thus giving his life some milestones that a writer could tease or fulfill or build toward, felt like it'd make the character more interesting, as readers wondered where that path would lead.

Peter apparently didn't have an interest in that, nor did he have an interest in ignoring it, to leave it open for future writers, so he wrote it out of existence. Which was his privilege -- if he's writing the series, he's the one who gets to decide. I was a little disappointed and felt that it was a missed opportunity, but so it goes.

If I'd been writing it, I'd definitely have explored it, but I didn't have anything specifically plotted out. It was just intriguing stuff that could be explored in any number of ways.

And if I'd stayed on AVENGERS, I think we'd have gotten Songbird onto the team fairly soon, but it felt to me like Genis would be along later, not for a few years at least. Still, plans change, and you never know.

kdb
    Thanks.

Peace

I had very different ideas on both from what has been seen before...

kdb
    Always loved the Zodiac. Especially the LMD’s. What characters would you include in the Lethal Legion. Always been a fan of Team villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    What characters would you include in the Lethal Legion.
    Lethal ones!

I might get to do the idea someday, so I'll keep the details to myself.

kdb