Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cloak and Dagger

As of the Spider Island storyline, Cloak and Dagger swapped power sets (so now Dagger has Cloak's power, and Cloak has Dagger's power)...

Is this still a thing, or have things returned back to normal?

And if it is still a thing, does Dagger (Tandy) now call herself Cloak and Cloak (Tyrone) now call himself Dagger?
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

BANNED

I don't think they have appeared in any comic since Spider Island so yes it is still a thing. I don't even remember much about that storyline but I do know the powers they now have were the powers they were always supposed to have or something like that, which made me think it was going to be a long term thing. But honestly I don't know.

They did show up in the first issue of Superior Spider-Man Team-Up, with their powers still reversed. They only show up for a couple panels, and we don't really get to see their powers in action.

I hope there is some kind of interest in them in 616 earth cause I hate what has been done them in ultimate universe. There's a problem when the only development is to have break up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    As of the Spider Island storyline, Cloak and Dagger swapped power sets (so now Dagger has Cloak's power, and Cloak has Dagger's power)...

Is this still a thing, or have things returned back to normal?

And if it is still a thing, does Dagger (Tandy) now call herself Cloak and Cloak (Tyrone) now call himself Dagger?
    Gosh...we/SZ wud luv Marvel 2 gv Spencer a C & D ongoing which follows dat story supportd by d artists dat did d brilliant 1-shot frm a while bak.

By d way, if C & D were in d now cancelld NW run, NW wud hv lastd longer. C & D r bettafit 2 NW dan those nu-xcters.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Even though Cloak and Dagger aren't popular enough to support an ongoing, I wish Marvel would give them a 4-8 issue miniseries every year or so. Especially if it was done by Spencer and Rios.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Even though Cloak and Dagger aren't popular enough to support an ongoing, I wish Marvel would give them a 4-8 issue miniseries every year or so. Especially if it was done by Spencer and Rios.
    Yeah, Spencer clearly had a lot of love for the characters. And Rios is a perfect artistic match.

Come on, Marvel! First-ever fan letter if Rios does Cloak and Dagger again!

Invincible Member

I agree. I would love to see a Spencer written follow up mini.

seriously? So have their personalities changed at all?
    I want to see Tyrone getting some independence. I've dug the characters, but historically, there's the lingering (subtextual) perception that his quasi-vampire status is aggravated with the cross-racial crush on Tandy, and makes him look like he's just fetishizing white chicks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Agrd & cosignd with d bold...Rios's styles takes a lil mo' effort 2 undrstand or apprc8.

We/SZ very much prefer d team dat did d 1-shot 2 partner with Spencer.

Cloak and Dagger are a pretty cool concept; it unfortunately seems like most writers simply don't know what to do with them for any extended period of time.

The characters need a creative team who understand the theme and tone inherent in their code-names and infuse the book with that mindset.

The obvious example of Hawkeye and the less obvious example of the Moon Knight issues by Warren Ellis show how crucial it is for titular character(s) to inhabit a comic that expertly syncs its tone/look/feel with the ideas/concepts that make the character(s) unique and exciting.

Personally, I'm not sure putting Cloak and Dagger on a team like the New Warriors or the Avengers is the right move, nor do I think an extended break away from each other would be useful; instead, I'd like to see them have extended appearances in Amazing Spider-Man and/or Daredevil, where they can be given a real chance to shine as supporting characters (rather than glorified background characters, which is what tends to happen to them).

-Pav, who likes that they now have Mr. Negative as a clear way into Spidey storylines...
    Last edited by Pav; 09-29-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Cloak and Dagger are a pretty cool concept; it unfortunately seems like most writers simply don't know what to do with them for any extended period of time.

The characters need a creative team who understand the theme and tone inherent in their code-names and infuse the book with that mindset.

The obvious example of Hawkeye and the less obvious example of the Moon Knight issues by Warren Ellis show how crucial it is for titular character(s) to inhabit a comic that expertly syncs its tone/look/feel with the ideas/concepts that make the character(s) unique and exciting.

Personally, I'm not sure putting Cloak and Dagger on a team like the New Warriors or the Avengers is the right move, nor do I think an extended break away from each other would be useful; instead, I'd like to see them have extended appearances in Amazing Spider-Man and/or Daredevil, where they can be given a real chance to shine as supporting characters (rather than glorified background characters, which is what tends to happen to them).

-Pav, who likes that they now have Mr. Negative as a clear way into Spidey storylines...
    Great post!

And I agree with your position. It sounds like a good way to progress and utilize these characters in the current state of the MU.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Agrd & cosignd with d bold...Rios's styles takes a lil mo' effort 2 undrstand or apprc8.

I think Brooks does a fantastic job, but for Cloak and Dagger I like Rios' less conventional approach.
    Still, to each his own, I suppose.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post

Its been a long time since I followed C and D though I bought that one-shot. I have a question about it, that panel... did Ty and Tandy decide to get together romantically. I always felt it was one-sided on Cloaks part but it seems to be mutual with Dagger in that scan.

Anyway, I'd love more frequent minis or one-shots. They obviously have enough appeal for those if they cant carry an on-going currently!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    Its been a long time since I followed C and D though I bought that one-shot. I have a question about it, that panel... did Ty and Tandy decide to get together romantically. I always felt it was one-sided on Cloaks part but it seems to be mutual with Dagger in that scan.

Anyway, I'd love more frequent minis or one-shots. They obviously have enough appeal for those if they cant carry an on-going currently!
    I think their relationship is still pretty ambiguous. I kinda like that aspect of the characters, it adds a layer of mystery to them. But I'll admit, if they had a successful ongoing, it would eventually get old. I think a lot of fans would get tired of the "are they or aren't they" trope.