Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not missing the point. I'm not onboard with the point. Because I'm not seeing the inherent insult. To me, the message is not nearly as overt as is being claimed, in the instances of these shirts.

Why don't shirts get made like this for the guys? Because whoever does market research feels they won't purchase them, I'd imagine. I'd be cool if that were proven wrong, but all the same, that's what its about, revenue.
    Right, but why won't they purchase them? Possibly because the culture has taught them that, as Gaelforce put it, guys should strive to be heroes and girls should strive to be wives?

And possibly it teaches girls the same thing--which is why girls do buy the shirts. So, while of course you're right that the motive is money, the company might be profiting from a sexist message, and in the process they might be reinforcing that message (even if that's not their intention). A product can be marketable and yet not ethical.

And I would guess the only way to change that is to actively make such products anyway and test the waters, start somewhere. So yeah, I'm not denying the double-standard that exists when it comes to that. I still don't believe however that the shirts that do exist for the girls (again in just the examples of that specific article), perpetuates an unavoidable sexist message, because of the simple fact it can just as easily be construed as something innocent and cute. When the allusion is unavoidable, that's when I have issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And I would guess the only way to change that is to actively make such products anyway and test the waters, start somewhere. So yeah, I'm not denying the double-standard that exists when it comes to that. I still don't believe however that the shirts that do exist for the girls (again in just the examples of that specific article), perpetuates an unavoidable sexist message, because of the simple fact it can just as easily be construed as something innocent and cute. When the allusion is unavoidable, that's when I have issues.
    The problem is not that the shirts exist for girls, it's that they only exist for girls. Where you have one king of message for girls and a different kind for boys that shows a bias.

I expect you are right with the market research point. Maximizing profits would probably suggest that the current strategy is working. On the other hand, social trends, as noted earlier, do change over time. The fact that these shirts cause an uproar among some where in the past they would have caused no reaction at all in an indication that attitudes are changing.

There is also the age-old argument about whether the values of our society should be influenced by those whose primary concern is to sell things and make money.

The very fact that a pattern of gender bias could be construed as innocent and cute is part of the problem. Obviously sexist messages like the one one the SM/WW shirt get red flagged pretty early, while less overt messages like whose toys these are and what sort of role you can have when you grow up sneak through.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Girls also doesn't have the "be a hero" t-shirt option. so not only the "date a hero" is only gor girls, but they also doesn't has another option of a message that the boys have.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Right, but why won't they purchase them? Possibly because the culture has taught them that, as Gaelforce put it, guys should strive to be heroes and girls should strive to be wives?

And possibly it teaches girls the same thing--which is why girls do buy the shirts. So, while of course you're right that the motive is money, the company might be profiting from a sexist message, and in the process they might be reinforcing that message (even if that's not their intention). A product can be marketable and yet not ethical.
    we don't even know how well those t-shirts sell. or if the message was another what results we would have. some might buy because is the only superhero option

human traffic also generate money, but it isn't ethic in any way.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 10-03-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    human traffic also generate money, but it isn't ethic in any way.
    Yeah, we agree; as I said, "a product can be marketable and yet not ethical." My point was that even though one can successfully market unethical project, one should not.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-04-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Spectacular Member

While i do agree that the T- shirt does make WW look like a sex object and a score for SM. The T-shirt is degrading toward WW and women in general, women should be treated with respect and as equal in a love relationship or a business relationship! That being said, the real issue is who she's with on the T-shirt!! Just be honest and stop pretending, it not about the stuff that was said!! It's because she's with SM, plain and simple!! There was no thread when Mr. Azz. had Orion slapping WW on the butt, making sexual comments, treating WW like a sex object or calling her by a bodypart "Legs"!! Where was the outrage!! If it was Orion,steve or Batman instead of SM on the T-shirt there would be no problem, no issues!
    Last edited by chlj1; 10-04-2014 at 12:31 PM.

BANNED

When Azz had Orion slapping WW on the butt there was a lot of discussion about it, there was a post on DC women kickass.
    It's not about superman, it's about WW

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    When Azz had Orion slapping WW on the butt there was a lot of discussion about it, there was a post on DC women kickass.
    It's not about superman, it's about WW
    So if someone slaps your butt that reflects on you, not him? Azzarello and his story didnt condone the action the way the shirt celebrates Superman "scoring" with WW.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    So if someone slaps your butt that reflects on you, not him? Azzarello and his story didnt condone the action the way the shirt celebrates Superman "scoring" with WW.
    no, I didn't meant that. It's about WW being disrespected

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chlj1 View Post
    While i do agree that the T- shirt does make WW look like a sex object and a score for SM. The T-shirt is degrading toward WW and women in general, women should be treated with respect and as equal in a love relationship or a business relationship! That being said, the real issue is who she's with on the T-shirt!! Just be honest and stop pretending, it not about the stuff that was said!! It's because she's with SM, plain and simple!! There was no thread when Mr. Azz. had Orion slapping WW on the butt, making sexual comments, treating WW like a sex object or calling her by a bodypart "Legs"!! Where was the outrage!! If it was Orion,steve or Batman instead of SM on the T-shirt there would be no problem, no issues!
    This is simply erroneous. There was quite a lot of dissatisfaction that she had to wait two issue to put him in his place.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor