Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    You will have Thor, he will be in the freaking book. And no one but die-hards want to read about freaking Red Norvell. Maybe Beta Ray Bill, but still, I don't think that would do the trick. Thor knows those people, he knows they can do good work. However, why not use someone who is a little bit more of an unknown? Someone he can't trust completely?

And are you suggesting Aaron doesn't know his source material? The man takes some liberties, but not anymore or less than other writers.
    Lol. True about Norvell. But at least I'm invested in his rivalry with Thor. There's history there. I can equally suggest that none of the "die hards" want to read about an out of nowhere woman thor, but that would fall under equal unquantifiable generalization. And I'm not suggesting. I'm stating it flat out that no writer outside of Hickman has any idea what they're doing. Aaron was doing ok too until this flagrant misstep. I mean he's essentially redoing the "world engine" story by Ellis. Look it up and you'll see too many similarities. And yes there is a repetitive nature with all the comics stories here and there but at least come at it with something more defensible. Rather than just another random replacement that has no history as a hero (apparently) but gets to take the name when others more suited didn't.

Lastly, Thor as second fiddle, in a book bearing HIS name, is not acceptable. I want to read about him. Not an imposter. Especially since all of his current female supporting cast are not adequate in my view. And that's what we have to pick from. I'd accept sif or Torren.
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; 09-30-2014 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Deleted stab at Marvel

All-New Member

I get not everyone is going to like it, but I'm excited, especially since it's obvious that our Thor is not done. He'll be in the book and in the MU.
    If Jason Aaron does allow Thor a role in this, it will be that of a butt monkey. A punching bag to make the impostor look good. And even if being screwed out of Mjolnir doesn't leave him completely depowered, it will only be a fraction of what he once had.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zarathos022 View Post
    if jason aaron does allow thor a role in this, it will be that of a butt monkey. A punching bag to make the impostor look good. And even if being screwed out of mjolnir doesn't leave him completely depowered, it will only be a fraction of what he once had.
    exactly my view as well! I guarantee you that someone will take his axe, chop his arm off, and she'll come and rescue him.
    Last edited by ThunderingHammer; 09-29-2014 at 06:18 PM.

How and why does Thor lose his left arm?

BANNED

Hopefully, we'll get a new creative team in the process as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    Lol. True about Norvell. But at least I'm invested in his rivalry with Thor. There's history there. I can equally suggest that none of the "die hards" want to read about an out of nowhere woman thor, but that would fall under equal unquantifiable generalization. And I'm not suggesting. I'm stating it flat out that no writer outside of Hickman has any idea what they're doing. Aaron was doing ok too until this flagrant misstep. I mean he's essentially redoing the "world engine" story by Ellis. Look it up and you'll see too many similarities. And yes there is a repetitive nature with all the comics stories here and there but at least come at it with something more defensible. Rather than just another random replacement that has no history as a hero (apparently) but gets to take the name when others more suited didn't.

Lastly, Thor as second fiddle, in a book bearing HIS name, is not acceptable. I want to read about him. Not an imposter. Especially since all of his current female supporting cast are not adequate in my view. And that's what we have to pick from. I'd accept sif or Torren.
    But what if there's history between Thor and the female lead? And I don't really think it looks like Ellis's Thor. For one thing, Thor is still a god, he's not hanging out in a crappy apartment, we haven't heard anything about a girlfriend, and Odin isn't really being that big of a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos022 View Post
    If Jason Aaron does allow Thor a role in this, it will be that of a butt monkey. A punching bag to make the impostor look good. And even if being screwed out of Mjolnir doesn't leave him completely depowered, it will only be a fraction of what he once had.
    Isn't that kind of the point? It really wouldn't be fun if he was in a healthy place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    How and why does Thor lose his left arm?
    I'm not sure. He has it in Axis...so, I'm guessing he looses it either in Axis, or in the beginning of the new series.

BANNED

But what if there's history between Thor and the female lead? And I don't really think it looks like Ellis's Thor. For one thing, Thor is still a god, he's not hanging out in a crappy apartment, we haven't heard anything about a girlfriend, and Odin isn't really being that big of a dick.

Isn't that kind of the point? It really wouldn't be fun if he was in a healthy place.

I'm not sure. He has it in Axis...so, I'm guessing he looses it either in Axis, or in the beginning of the new series.

I ask you friend, IS HE? Is he still a god?! I mean the advertisements are that there is a "new God of Thunder". If that's true then he has no title and therefore is not a god. I contend that he is in exactly the same situation as in ellis' tale. Same shirtless, powerless, decrepit look. And instead of the "sickness" he's titled unworthy and will soon be armless.

And as to your second mini paragraph: that's why we don't approve of this story. He's been a punching bag for every worthless piece of crap character for years now and when Aaron was finally bringing him up to par again, he humiliates him even further. There's no point in doing so since the story has been done numerous times already. Redemption tales for Thor are passé now. That was the purpose of him adopting earth after his trials for humility way back at his inception into the MU. Get something new already.
    Last edited by ThunderingHammer; 09-29-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Too Old, Too Cold...

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    I ask you friend, IS HE? Is he still a god?! I mean the advertisements are that there is a "new God of Thunder". If that's true then he has no title and therefore is not a god. I contend that he is in exactly the same situation as in ellis' tale. Same shirtless, powerless, decrepit look. And instead of the "sickness" he's titled unworthy and will soon be armless.
    There's only one Thor — I know it, you know it, Marvel knows it, EVERYONE knows it — you don't *become* Thor by picking up Mjollnir, rather you *become imbued with the Thunder God's power*.

Thor is still the God of Thunder, and anyone else holding the hammer is simply someone holding Thor's hammer.

Sigh, this whole "female Thor" idea is just as bad as killing off Wolverine — the true motivation isn't to tell any kind of story, whether it be about gender roles or the concept of worthiness, it's simply a cynical and crass marketing stunt designed to create a ('scuse pun) storm of publicity in order to (it's hoped by Marvel) create a huge spike in sales...

BANNED

I don't see nothing wrong in it, Marvel has been all about profit in the last 2 decades, with a dash of creative vision occasionally.

I'm glad Thor won't be shoved in our faces for an arc.

Too Old, Too Cold...

I don't begrudge Marvel wringing every single last penny out of their customers (this is a shark-eat-shark world we now live in), but I do resent continually being told that the latest marketing gimmick is "so totally, like, not a gimmick, but, like, it's a new and exciting direction we're, like, taking with the character..."

BANNED

Meh, though I've already made myself an enemy of the Thor Fem fans and the Superior Fans so I say let the hatred commence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
    I don't begrudge Marvel wringing every single last penny out of their customers (this is a shark-eat-shark world we now live in), but I do resent continually being told that the latest marketing gimmick is "so totally, like, not a gimmick, but, like, it's a new and exciting direction we're, like, taking with the character..."
    But it _is_ a new and exciting direction. For as long as it lasts, which will hopefully not be too short.

Fantastic Member

Thor is probably my favorite Marvel character, and I'm not thrilled with the direction they're taking. It just seems like much of what Marvel is doing now, is just change for change's sake.

But the writer side of my personality is curious to see where they're going to go with this, so I'm going to check this out. They've got three issues to show me something that leads me think this will be worth sticking with. If I'm not hooked by issue #3, I'll drop this until the real Thor is returned to his rightful place.

Too Old, Too Cold...

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    But it _is_ a new and exciting direction. For as long as it lasts, which will hopefully not be too short.
    That's a matter of opinion...

I for one think this looks great, and I am really interested to see where it all goes. I think some people are getting WAAAAAAAY too worked up about this. We still know essentially nothing about the hows and whys of the situation, and it's the hows and whys that make the story and gives it emotional weight. But people are throwing a temper tantrum, jumping to the worst possible conclusions taking pains to be as cynical and negative as humanly possible about something they know almost nothing about, just because... what, Thor's in a bad place at the moment? (story wise, i mean, I think the book will continue to be good) Well, characters going through a bad place is fertile soil for a story that lets you know what REALLY makes a character tick, and I am really looking forward to seeing that. I want to know what makes him tick, and if he is brought low in the process, so be it. Especially since we already know that will be temporary, and he will regain his worthyness. I also want to know *exactly* what makes someone "worthy", that's always been kinda poorly defined. I want to see if I am right about what Fury whispered to him, if it is about Loki killing Kid Loki (I think it would make sense, especially if he wanted to kill Loki over it, and THAT is what makes him unworthy. Not the words he heard, but how he reacts to them). You're dropping it? good. If this is how you behave when your favorite character goes though a rough patch, good riddance. It's fans like you who have kept comics mired in the past and prevented interesting developments with characters, where things are stagnant. Marvel doesn't need you, they need fans that are open to new possibilities and engaging stories that are not afraid to shake up the status quo. I hope they get a bunch of new fans to take your place and then some, and given how good Aaron's God of Thunder was, I doubt they will have a problem there.