Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Grammatically speaking, this is a non-issue. English has no gender-neutral pronouns, so traditionally the masculine pronoun has been used for an antecedent that has no stated gender. So in reality the inscription is not at all specific about needing to be a man. It's only specific about the "worthy" part.

Edit: Slight correction. English has gender-neutral pronouns, but they are either plural (they, them) or not acceptable for use in reference to a person (it).
    Last edited by Betty; 09-30-2014 at 01:21 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    If she isn't Thor then why is her Title going to be Thor? She is going to be the hero of the Thor comic right? Seems like she is Thor. So I am really sorry for your delusion. Things change buddy.
    Because Aaron thinks that giving this impostor an established character's name well help it sell better. We've said it before and well say it again because you sheep clearly aren't getting it: God of Thunder is a title, Thor is a name. I'd ask you to learn the difference, but that might be asking too much of those of your persuasion.

You're right about one thing though: Things indeed change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. In this case it's the latter.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    Nicely done!
    Here! Here! Bud!
    Give em hell!!!! LMAO!!!
    Thanks. It's refreshing to see that some people on this site still have their heads on straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Um, because his son is going through a complete break down and he can't magically make Thor a better person, which is kinda the whole reason he ended up on Earth in the first place.
    Then take him back to Asgard, console him and wait for him to get better, have Sif and Valkyrie represent Asgard on Earth for a while or call in Beta Ray Bill or give the hammer to Steve Rogers so he isn't a frail old man and can wield it in the mean time. Why they left Thor on the moon and why Steve didn't just pick it up is nonsense. Thor IS a better person than he was when he was first cast out of Asgard, he ascended to being a king during The Reigning and when he was Odinforce Thor during the JMS run. it says clearly "if he be worthy", wielding his power doesn't make them Thor, Beta Ray Bill didn't suddenly stop being a Korbinite and turn into Thor, neither did Cap. The precedents that exist shouldn't be thrown out the window, build on the foundations of previous stories, develop on the existing continuity, live in the House of Ideas and add to the decor, don't smash out the underpinning and try build it from the ground up unless you're committing to a hard reboot.

BANNED

Thor in this situation is not a name. It is a title...
    Well it's not. Because THOR is a name. "God of Thunder" is a title. Had she been THORA goddess of thunder, I MAY have been ok with it if the girl was related to THOR somehow (Sif, Torren, etc) not some lame human woman as I've always hated normal human boyfriends/girlfriends for superheroes/heroines. Gwen Stacy and Betty Ross being my only exceptions. But they chose to steal a name, and are trying their darnedest to make it a title.........

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Thor in this situation is not a name. It is a title...
    Yet... its never been considered a title before?
    Its just a direction they're going. People would have to care enough about thor to REALLY campaign against this.
    DC fans did it with Hal Jordan at one point. I can't imagine how many people would bother over such a temporary
    change.
    The preview is okay and I hate the whole link to Erectile Dysfunction metaphor, because now I can't unsee it. Moreover,
    the art certainly looks like its a valid possibility.
    Ultimately, though, this New Character isn't "Thor" in that she hasn't done any of the things that we've witnessed over the X amount of years and rooted for. So whoever that character is, he's the reason that you love the character, don't worry too much over this and its okay to say "I'm not okay with you gender-bending my favorite character" You might as well get yourself heard if that's how you feel. Lord knows if a writer started making a LGBT character "straight" there would an outcry. It may or may not do any good but don't give up.
    There's something else that really bugs me about this...
    "Title" thing. . . its isn't really true to anything that's gone before.
    "Possess the power of Thor" is diffreent from "Becomes the being known as THOR" I personally could care less if its boy, girl, or frog, but the reasoning used there and how its different from how other worthy people have interacted with the hammer makes this seem like just another gimmick.
    It's fans like you who have kept comics mired in the past and prevented interesting developments with characters, where things are stagnant. Marvel doesn't need you, they need fans that are open to new possibilities and engaging stories that are not afraid to shake up the status quo. I hope they get a bunch of new fans to take your place and then some, and given how good Aaron's God of Thunder was, I doubt they will have a problem there.
    This is so disrespectful. Marvel really does need its readers. It needs both new readers, as well as a loyal fanbase to work. Things are stagnant but its not because of thors gender, he can also be open to new possibilities and engaging stories without being in love with any 1 particular change.
    ...this is just "Thor in a refrigerator" he's getting depowered off panel and deemed unworthy without so much as a great battle for things that the reader has yet to see, and that is probably really offensive to some.
    Turn the title of Captain Marvel back over to Man, and the reaction would be way worse in terms of drama and hyperbole if not the same....

PocketfulofKryptonite That was a really brilliant post. The Cap picks up the hammer and takes thor home makes a whole lot more sense than leaving this weapon on the moon.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 09-30-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Okay everyone, let's move back to talk about the contents of the preview here. Or perhaps the mystery of who this new Thor is.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    Well it's not. Because THOR is a name. "God of Thunder" is a title. Had she been THORA goddess of thunder, I MAY have been ok with it if the girl was related to THOR somehow (Sif, Torren, etc) not some lame human woman as I've always hated normal human boyfriends/girlfriends for superheroes/heroines. Gwen Stacy and Betty Ross being my only exceptions. But they chose to steal a name, and are trying their darnedest to make it a title.........
    Is Batman a name or a title? is Captain America a name or title? Thor is the God of Thunder so anyone who holds that title also holds the title of Thor. The Title comes with the powers of the god of thunder.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Grammatically speaking, this is a non-issue. English has no gender-neutral pronouns, so traditionally the masculine pronoun has been used for an antecedent that has no stated gender. So in reality the inscription is not at all specific about needing to be a man. It's only specific about the "worthy" part.

Edit: Slight correction. English has gender-neutral pronouns, but they are either plural (they, them) or not acceptable for use in reference to a person (it).

ENGLISH. Thor is nordic. Other languages have gender specific names. Thor is not an English translation.

BANNED

Zoomed Whisper 1.jpg

The last word kind of looks like "Kids," but the markings just afterwards are a mystery

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    If you can only make your "argument" by taking cheap shots at people who have a different opinion/misrepresenting what they're saying, then your argument was pretty weak to begin with. People aren't "fawning" over this, they're simply keeping an open mind and giving it a chance. They aren't resorting to knee-jerk complaining.
    Well, we all have our opinions don't we? You see it something fresh and revolutionary (even though it really isn't), I see it as a shameless PC screwjob to pander to a demographic at the expense of a classic character.

And I wasn't taking cheap shots, either. You want to talk down to me for expressing my opinion just because it's directed at something you like, I'm going to talk back. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Okay everyone, let's move back to talk about the contents of the preview here. Or perhaps the mystery of who this new Thor is.
    I always just assumed it was Angela.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

I am still hoping it isnt Jane Foster but I fear that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    I always just assumed it was Angela.
    I had thought part of the speech bubble Nick said to Thor involved her name. But speculation is just speculation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    Then take him back to Asgard, console him and wait for him to get better, have Sif and Valkyrie represent Asgard on Earth for a while or call in Beta Ray Bill or give the hammer to Steve Rogers so he isn't a frail old man and can wield it in the mean time. Why they left Thor on the moon and why Steve didn't just pick it up is nonsense. Thor IS a better person than he was when he was first cast out of Asgard, he ascended to being a king during The Reigning and when he was Odinforce Thor during the JMS run. it says clearly "if he be worthy", wielding his power doesn't make them Thor, Beta Ray Bill didn't suddenly stop being a Korbinite and turn into Thor, neither did Cap. The precedents that exist shouldn't be thrown out the window, build on the foundations of previous stories, develop on the existing continuity, live in the House of Ideas and add to the decor, don't smash out the underpinning and try build it from the ground up unless you're committing to a hard reboot.
    Quoted For Truth! PREACH IT!!!!