Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Loki: Agent of Asgard, #6

Full review here.

Extraordinary Member

I didn't think it was that bad.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Me neither. Looks like the reviewer is obviously a Loki fangurl since Al Ewing gave Doom a well written spotlight instead. Doom does not "prattle on". Everything he says is epic She also gives short shrift to Valeria by claiming all she usually says is "Yes Uncle Doom" She needs to study up on Hickman's Fantastic Four run.

Another thing that seems to have gone over her head is that the 2 arguing construction workers is obviously a link to the Axis storyline and they are probably showing the first effects of the Red Skull's hate ray or whatever starting to take effect.

I thought Ewing's use of narrative as the means for their magic duel was very creative and not your usual spell fight with mystical energy bolts and incantations. Loki looked like he was caught flat footed in this kind of encounter.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-04-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Me neither. Looks like the reviewer is obviously a Loki fangurl since Al Ewing gave Doom a well written spotlight instead. Doom does not "prattle on". Everything he says is epic She also gives short shrift to Valeria by claiming all she usually says is "Yes Uncle Doom" She needs to study up on Hickman's Fantastic Four run.

Another thing that seems to have gone over her head is that the 2 arguing construction workers is obviously a link to the Axis storyline and they are probably showing the first effects of the Red Skull's hate ray or whatever starting to take effect.

I thought Ewing's use of narrative as the means for their magic duel was very creative and not your usual spell fight with mystical energy bolts and incantations. Loki looked like he was caught flat footed in this kind of encounter.
    Judging from tumblr-the online expert on all things Loki-a lot of Loki fangirls seemed to love this issue. But I've noticed a lot of the "official" reviews didn't like this issue as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Judging from tumblr-the online expert on all things Loki-a lot of Loki fangirls seemed to love this issue. But I've noticed a lot of the "official" reviews didn't like this issue as much.
    I can't imagine why. It was a good issue, and Loki choosing not to fight even when Doom was trying to fight him was the best part. I think a lot of reviewers are missing that if the dude you're trying to fight isn't fighting back even when you're attacking, you've lost. Loki clearly doesn't see Doom as threat, which is why Doom didn't win anything. Hence the reason Mr. Aggressive construction worker died and not his Doom worshiping partner. Doom misses this because he's got such a huge ego, which as a usual, causes him to screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    I can't imagine why. It was a good issue, and Loki choosing not to fight even when Doom was trying to fight him was the best part. I think a lot of reviewers are missing that if the dude you're trying to fight isn't fighting back even when you're attacking, you've lost. Loki clearly doesn't see Doom as threat, which is why Doom didn't win anything. Hence the reason Mr. Aggressive construction worker died and not his Doom worshiping partner. Doom misses this because he's got such a huge ego, which as a usual, causes him to screw up.
    I'd say Doom certainly did outmanoeuver him and as he says, Loki is not the same Loki he teamed up with in Thor. Loki played it too cute and lost. Even Loki said back in Gillen's A v X story that he was afraid of the Doomy One, which is why he sent Mr Sinister on his mission to Castle Doom.

I still think you are missing the point about the two construction workers. It has nothing to do with who was loyal to Doom. Remember this is an Axis tie and and it's pretty obvious the Red Skull has a role in this since he is pretty prominent on the next cover.

I'd say Doom certainly did outmanoeuver him and as he says, Loki is not the same Loki he teamed up with in Thor. Loki played it too cute and lost. Even Loki said back in Gillen's A v X story that he was afraid of the Doomy One, which is why he sent Mr Sinister on his mission to Castle Doom.
    Loki outmaneuvered being caught when he handed Verity that pocket watch; that's why Val was picking up two signals, because Verity came along for the ride. Doom dismisses this as simple deception, but doesn't realize this Loki is doing things with friends in tow. Loki chose not to fight because he knows Verity will rescue him should it come to that, and because he doesn't expect Doom to do anything to really hurt him.

That wasn't a pocket watch, that was the invisibility charm he stole from Lorelei. Probably the best thing he had on hand to give her for protection given that he only had a few seconds warning that Doom was teleporting them. He was probably hoping she would use it to escape if things went bad, since she obviously never asked to be teleported to Latveria and I don't think he could necessarily count on Doom to do the right thing and send her home. Also, maybe a backup plan to save him, but I am not really sure what he expected her to do in that case. I do think he has something up his sleeve, but gotta wit till next issue to say for sure what, but I doubt 'hope Verity will save me' is the entirety of plan cus seriously, what's she gonna do to Doom?

Extraordinary Member

Loki outmaneuvered being caught when he handed Verity that pocket watch; that's why Val was picking up two signals, because Verity came along for the ride. Doom dismisses this as simple deception, but doesn't realize this Loki is doing things with friends in tow. Loki chose not to fight because he knows Verity will rescue him should it come to that, and because he doesn't expect Doom to do anything to really hurt him.
    I wouldn't say he really outmaneuvered Doom. He knew something was wrong, but he would have been screwed had Verity not shown up at his apartment right then and there.

LOL. Your defense of Loki, that Doom lost because Loki didn't get a single countermove in, sounds like a punchy boxer thinking he will win if his opponent gets tired of hitting him. Face it, Doom has him boxed up. He always excels at finding an opponent's vulnerability. Typical round one win going to the antagonist is par for the course in comic books. Loki fans are just not used to seeing him playing the role of the protagonist who gets jumped first and he just got taken to school by a master. Of course, round 2 will probably involve a truce and a team up against the Red Skull. That's not to put down Ewing if that is the plan because as I mentioned earlier, the technique Doom used was very different and not one I'd seen him use before. So I am hoping Ewing will continue to think outside the box in the next issue.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-04-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member

LOL. Your defense of Loki, that Doom lost because Loki didn't get a single countermove in, sounds like a punchy boxer thinking he will win if his opponent gets tired of hitting him. Face it, Doom has him boxed up. He always excels at finding an opponent's vulnerability. Typical round one win going to the antagonist is par for the course in comic books. Loki fans are just not used to seeing him playing the role of the protagonist who gets jumped first and he just got taken to school by a master. Of course, round 2 will probably involve a truce and a team up against the Red Skull. That's not to put down Ewing if that is the plan because as I mentioned earlier, the technique Doom used was very different and not one I'd seen him use before. So I am hoping Ewing will continue to think outside the box in the next issue.
    You bring up a very good point. We haven't seen Loki in such a role where he really is the too-arrogant hero who gets schooled by a much more experienced villain. While old Loki may have gotten tripped up by Doom too, he probably wouldn't have let him get him completely like this because he was much more ruthless, and he wouldn't have forgotten about Doom long enough for him to get to him like this.

Of course, old Loki didn't have friends who could help him out in a jam, so there's that. But in this case, Doom does come off as an experienced master who's failed enough to know what not to do, while Loki comes across as a young hero who will only be saved by pure luck. In a way, it's a sign that Loki is that hero, as he's making mistakes only an archetypal hero would make.

You bring up a very good point. We haven't seen Loki in such a role where he really is the too-arrogant hero who gets schooled by a much more experienced villain. While old Loki may have gotten tripped up by Doom too, he probably wouldn't have let him get him completely like this because he was much more ruthless, and he wouldn't have forgotten about Doom long enough for him to get to him like this.

Of course, old Loki didn't have friends who could help him out in a jam, so there's that. But in this case, Doom does come off as an experienced master who's failed enough to know what not to do, while Loki comes across as a young hero who will only be saved by pure luck. In a way, it's a sign that Loki is that hero, as he's making mistakes only an archetypal hero would make.
    Yes, that pretty much sums it up. It's also why for the most part I am loathe to have as complete a change with Doom as what has happened with Loki. I like Doom to keep that dark edge to his character. Yes, he is very capable of doing the right thing from time to time but he also has different boundaries than that of the typical hero, well except maybe Wolverine.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-04-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. It's also why for the most part I am loathe to have as complete a change with Doom as what has happened with Loki. I like Doom to keep that dark edge to his character. Yes, he is very capable of doing the right thing from time to time but he also has different boundaries than that of the typical hero, well except maybe Wolverine.
    Of course Doom wouldn't want to change himself in the way Loki wants to. Even before Siege and Dark Reign, Loki was a character somewhat defined by his own self-loathing. He would never be a proper Frost Giant or Asgardian, and he would never have the power he wanted. So, he was evil, and, as we know, that eventually stagnated to the point where we found him in his suicide plan. Doom, however, is not a god of chaos. He's a man, and while he may have periods of inadequacy, Doom is Doom, and he's happy to be Doom.

I wouldn't say he really outmaneuvered Doom. He knew something was wrong, but he would have been screwed had Verity not shown up at his apartment right then and there.
    Probably not the best choice of words, but he did shoot off a plan seconds before he was abducted. I imagine he keep enchanted dental floss or something in his pocket for these sorts of occasions, because a lot of people want him dead. And Loki is a fairly paranoid character.

Those are good points, but you can't declare victory in winning a fight if your opponent won't fight you because it wasn't a fight (more like a beat down). I'm not saying Doom wasn't fighting beautifully; the guy clearly knows Loki very well and it would have been a heck of fight if Loki was fighting back(reminds me of the issue where Strange said how he didn't want to fight Loki). It's just hard to say Loki beat Doom when it's more like Loki got mugged by Doom and didn't fight back. Loki isn't defending himself, which should be causing Doom to question why that might be, since Loki has a long history of paranoia and thinking people are out to get him (much like Doom). It would be odd for him to not have a back up plan, and we see that plan before Doom grabs him. Loki did maneuver himself into a position where he didn't have to fight, which is why he won.

Loki knows he has an evil King Loki twin out there, and it's only a matter of time before Doom either talks with Loki or encounters his evil twin. I do think Doom capturing Loki was impressive, but Loki is a crazy plan spinner, and Doom was initially operating on the assumption this new Loki was just old Loki.
    Last edited by Post Monster; 10-04-2014 at 06:31 PM.