Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    Probably not the best choice of words, but he did shoot off a plan seconds before he was abducted. I imagine he keep enchanted dental floss or something in his pocket for these sorts of occasions, because a lot of people want him dead. And Loki is a fairly paranoid character.
    Well, he kept that invisibility stone for himself. However, even old Loki would have had trouble getting himself out of this. I have to hand it to Ewing for creating this very inventive scenario.
    Those are good points, but you can't declare victory in winning a fight if your opponent won't fight you because it wasn't a fight (more like a beat down). I'm not saying Doom wasn't fighting beautifully; the guy clearly knows Loki very well and it would have been a heck of fight if Loki was fighting back(reminds me of the issue where Strange said how he didn't want to fight Loki). It's just hard to say Loki beat Doom when it's more like Loki got mugged by Doom and didn't fight back. Loki isn't defending himself, which should be causing Doom to question why that might be, since Loki has a long history of paranoia and thinking people are out to get him (much like Doom). It would be odd for him to not have a back up plan, and we see that plan before Doom grabs him. Loki did maneuver himself into a position where he didn't have to fight, which is why he won.

Loki knows he has an evil King Loki twin out there, and it's only a matter of time before Doom either talks with Loki or encounters his evil twin. I do think Doom capturing Loki was impressive, but Loki is a crazy plan spinner, and Doom was initially operating on the assumption this new Loki was just old Loki.
    I don't really think it matters much when King Loki is supposedly just a future AoA Loki.

Also, it really just looks like Loki thought up something on the fly and got lucky Verity was there. There's nothing wrong with this. And his having trouble fighting Doom does come down to the fact that there were multiple Doombots, Doom was talking his ear off, he was surprised, and he didn't know what all Doom was planning on doing. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with this, they're mistakes all young heroes make. The fact that he's making them show us that he's changing from his ruthless old personality.

I can't imagine why.
    I can think of two concerns that one might view as negatively impacting this particular issue. Firstly, it's an issue not so much about Loki, but about Doctor Doom. Secondly, not much happens in the issue overall. We get a little bit of character with Loki, a lot of explanation out of Doom, and a little metaphor with the Latverians. As a whole, it doesn't amount to much--it's interesting, and I was okay with it, but I can understand if others found it lacking.

I massively disagree with her review (but I do object to posters labelling her a fan girl just because she didn't like it). I really enjoyed the issue BUT I was sad to not get a 'one-and-done' issue like all the others. I felt the construction worker plot (while intersting) could have been cut to make room to wrap up the story. Oh well...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I massively disagree with her review (but I do object to posters labelling her a fan girl just because she didn't like it). I really enjoyed the issue BUT I was sad to not get a 'one-and-done' issue like all the others. I felt the construction worker plot (while intersting) could have been cut to make room to wrap up the story. Oh well...
    You don't think it was obvious that she sounded peeved because Doom got the spotlight by the writer? That shows a skewed view for someone who is supposed to be an unbiased reviewer. As I mentioned early, she calls Ewing's use of story as Doom's attack as Doom "prattling on" while saying Old Loki's "banter... is a pleasure to read". Yet later on she has praise "Ewing continues his deliciously meta discussion of magic and narrative". So which is it, "prattling on" or "delicious meta discussion". Sounds pretty biased and fannish. And she was pretty uninformed about Valeria too. Her main gripe was a lack of Loki. I doubt if you would see the same complaint had people been reviewing Byrne's Fantastic Four #258, which is more like a Doom solo issue where the FF themselves don't even appear.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-05-2014 at 02:04 AM.

Spectacular Member

Well, it was left on a cliffhanger, so we really don't know if Doom "beat" Loki yet or not. As others have pointed out, Loki's a tricky dude, god of Mischief and lies, after all, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has something up his sleeve to turn the tables on Doom.

And I was fine with the issue, but it's the same as people getting pissed when they're favorite hero gets smacked down in their own book. It hurts to see your man guy or gal get beat on any level, since you're rooting for them.

We'll have to wait and see. It was like people complaining in "Original Sin" about Thor getting his ass handed to him by Angela. The next issue came, and Thor handed it her. So we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Well, he kept that invisibility stone for himself.
    And on this, he gave it to Verity, so Loki is trying to get himself out of trouble and make up with Verity by giving her his escape hatch trinket at the same time. That's actually a big deal for Loki.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I can think of two concerns that one might view as negatively impacting this particular issue. Firstly, it's an issue not so much about Loki, but about Doctor Doom. Secondly, not much happens in the issue overall. We get a little bit of character with Loki, a lot of explanation out of Doom, and a little metaphor with the Latverians. As a whole, it doesn't amount to much--it's interesting, and I was okay with it, but I can understand if others found it lacking.
    True, I can see that it is much different from the other issues, most of which gave you a cute little story and then went on their way. And I really did think some of the art was lacking, though I believe some of this was due to the artist's own confusion regarding Loki's power-levels and strength. I always thought Loki would be a hard character to draw for. You want him slim, but how slim is too slim? It used to just be how ugly you wanted him, but now the concern is for his age, his looks, his weight and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I liked the part with the construction workers, I just think there could have been a little less of it. However, this issue was clearly something of a filler issue. It's purpose was to get us from point A to B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You don't think it was obvious that she sounded peeved because Doom got the spotlight by the writer? That shows a skewed view for someone who is supposed to be an unbiased reviewer. As I mentioned early, she calls Ewing's use of story as Doom's attack as Doom "prattling on" while saying Old Loki's "banter... is a pleasure to read". Yet later on she has praise "Ewing continues his deliciously meta discussion of magic and narrative". So which is it, "prattling on" or "delicious meta discussion". Sounds pretty biased and fannish. And she was pretty uninformed about Valeria too. Her main gripe was a lack of Loki. I doubt if you would see the same complaint had people been reviewing Byrne's Fantastic Four #258, which is more like a Doom solo issue where the FF themselves don't even appear.
    Well, like the other poster said, people reacted the same way when Thor was getting beaten by Angela. Fans just really don't like seeing their favorite character taken down so easily. And Doom is practically the fifth member of the FF, so of course fans don't mind him taking up an issue since he's so tied to the team anyways.
    And on this, he gave it to Verity, so Loki is trying to get himself out of trouble and make up with Verity by giving her his escape hatch trinket at the same time. That's actually a big deal for Loki.
    True, it really feels like while he wants her to save him, he also doesn't want her harmed. It's a big step from old Loki, who wouldn't care for the people involved in his plans so much.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    True, I can see that it is much different from the other issues, most of which gave you a cute little story and then went on their way. And I really did think some of the art was lacking, though I believe some of this was due to the artist's own confusion regarding Loki's power-levels and strength. I always thought Loki would be a hard character to draw for. You want him slim, but how slim is too slim? It used to just be how ugly you wanted him, but now the concern is for his age, his looks, his weight and everything.

I liked the part with the construction workers, I just think there could have been a little less of it. However, this issue was clearly something of a filler issue. It's purpose was to get us from point A to B.

Well, like the other poster said, people reacted the same way when Thor was getting beaten by Angela. Fans just really don't like seeing their favorite character taken down so easily. And Doom is practically the fifth member of the FF, so of course fans don't mind him taking up an issue since he's so tied to the team anyways.

True, it really feels like while he wants her to save him, he also doesn't want her harmed. It's a big step from old Loki, who wouldn't care for the people involved in his plans so much.

Solicit Synopsis.
    • An old foe must claim the mantle of his greatest enemy to save the lives of all he cares for!

I wonder is that loki and loki old ?

Extraordinary Member

Interesting. At first, I thought it had to be for Magneto, but Magneto is nowhere to be seen. It could be for Loki.

for laughsp.s. I didn't make this, it is made by http://mmmagpie.tumblr.com/
    Quicksilver Loki The Scarlet Witch Polaris Amora The Enchantress Doctor Doom Ms. Marvel

Extraordinary Member

Damn you tumblr!

Seriously...just...why? Why?

It's perfectly understandable for someone to be aggravated with a Loki issue not really being about Loki. While doing a Doctor Doom solo issue in Fantastic Four is more palatable--him being a Fantastic Four character--there might still be some that would be annoyed.

While perhaps not articulated within this review, it's possible to enjoy the "meta discussion of magic and narrative" while not enjoying how it was delivered.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    It's perfectly understandable for someone to be aggravated with a Loki issue not really being about Loki. While doing a Doctor Doom solo issue in Fantastic Four is more palatable--him being a Fantastic Four character--there might still be some that would be annoyed.

While perhaps not articulated within this review, it's possible to enjoy the "meta discussion of magic and narrative" while not enjoying how it was delivered.
    I agree to an extent. I enjoyed it, but I acknowledge that I have a high tolerance for filler issues.

You don't think it was obvious that she sounded peeved because Doom got the spotlight by the writer? That shows a skewed view for someone who is supposed to be an unbiased reviewer. As I mentioned early, she calls Ewing's use of story as Doom's attack as Doom "prattling on" while saying Old Loki's "banter... is a pleasure to read". Yet later on she has praise "Ewing continues his deliciously meta discussion of magic and narrative". So which is it, "prattling on" or "delicious meta discussion". Sounds pretty biased and fannish. And she was pretty uninformed about Valeria too. Her main gripe was a lack of Loki.
    I think her observations are fair, and don't make her a fan-girl by default. Just because you praise an issue doesn't make you a fan. Just because you criticise a change of style doesn't make you a "fanboy/girl". And I 100% disagree you must remain unbiased; reviews are not handing in a weighted essay for homework, people want your views, your opinions.

She made some very fair objections. I too was less excited by the Doom-centric angle. Does that make me some crazed fanboy?