All-New Member

Default Should I jump on with Amazing or go back and read Superior?

I've been away from reading Marvel for quite some time now. A good while back, I decided to go full on DC for once due to New 52. Been reading Superman, Batman, Aquaman, and Justice League (and event books).

Now, after some time of consideration, I'm going to start reading Spider-Man again. I've loosely kept up with what has happened in Superior. I know the general situation and the differences "Spock" brought to the table. And I know why he brought Peter back. So, I'm trying to decide if it's worth shelling out and reading all of Superior before I jump into the relaunch of Amazing.

Advice?

Superior is good if that's what you're looking for. If you already know the various events that already occurred to alter the status quo, though, you don't have to read it.

It's honestly a really great story to read. It really breaks away from the norms of superhero comics and goes off the deep end. Its not a perfect story, but it is entertaining.

I too am just getting back into comics after having been away since OMD. I personally am going to read all of Superior before reading Amazing #1.

I'd start with Superior. It's a strong mega-arc, and it may be a better reintroduction to Spider-Man to follow a book with a different protagonist slowly learning the ropes about Peter's life.

Plus the entirety of it is in print, whereas with Amazing Spider-Man you'll have to wait for new issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

I was in a similar situation. I would say start with Amazing #1 but pick up the Superior trades from your local library. In fact, I'd go as far back with the Amazing (pre-superior) trades as your library makes possible. This is more or less what I did but I was reading Amazing in the first place, dropped it at some time not long before the storyline which brought upon Superior and caught up on what I missed from the library.
    Last edited by Prisoner 6655321; 05-08-2014 at 03:14 AM.

If you end reading Superior, I suggest you also check the 12 issues of Superior Spider-man Team-Up - it is a space they use to explore more about the character and other events in the main book and specially the last two as they give a very important sensible closing to the whole of Superior Spider-man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    If you end reading Superior, I suggest you also check the 12 issues of Superior Spider-man Team-Up - it is a space they use to explore more about the character and other events in the main book and specially the last two as they give a very important sensible closing to the whole of Superior Spider-man.
    I'd also recommend Avenging Spider-Man #15.1-22 featuring SpOck written by Christopher Yost. Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 and #16 are particularly great.

If you like reading good stories you would read Superior Spider-Man. If you don't I would recommend reading something else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    If you like reading good stories you would read Superior Spider-Man. If you don't I would recommend reading something else.
    lol pretty much.

If you hate a fun story with a lot of crazy plot twists and cool characters - not to mention art by some of the top people in comics right now, don't buy Superior cause you are gonna be pissed.

I always found the idea of Dr. Ock becomming Peter Parket... let's say... stupid. But then i became interested on knowing how it happened so i could just skip the entire Superior Spider-man run (cause i would read the relaunch, with Amazing Spider-man #1) and then i've read the last Amazing Spider-man arc, with issues #698 through #700.

Well, i am, still not, surprised of how good were this last arc and how it hooked me to read Superior Spider-man when i really wasn't even considering it. It's a very, very nice arc (this last one), and i am now reaging Superior SM #15, and really enjoying it. Can't wait to finish this run and read AM SM #1.

So... Yes, i would really recommend read Superior Spider-man, but start with Amazing Spiderman Death Wish arc (AM SM #698~#700) and go all the way to AM SM #1. You won't regret it.

Spectacular Member Nightcrawler92's Avatar

Story wise, it's not really necessary. The new amazing spiderman #1 does a good enough job playing flashbacks to show what is going on. From a pure storytelling and enriching experience, it is a fantastic book and storyline and proves why Peter Parker is the best and ONLY Spider-man.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

I totally skipped Superior Spider-Man and waited on the return of Amazing Spider-Man and am glad I did. The whole Doc Ock story just didn't do anything for me and the idea behind it all wasn't my cup of tea.