Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Default Batwing #31 Discussion / Spoilers

Menace confronts Batwing and kills Mother Anubis. Luke struggles with his urge to kill Menace. Lucius and his wife struggle emotionally while taking care of now brain damaged Tamara wondering where Luke is. The emotional turmoil experienced by the Fox family is pretty heart wrenching as Lucius reflects on how he could have been a better dad instead of putting work first. Tiffany being held captive by Rat Catcher finds a letter opener and convinces him to let her use the bathroom. She stabs Rat Catcher in the leg and manages to escape. Luke gaining the upper hand in his fight against Menace manages to knock him into the water where the giant fish monster that attacked Luke in issues #29 and #30 is waiting. Luke leaves to continue his search for Tiffany and in the last panels we see Menace crawl out of the water.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

I found Rat Catcher to be funny and entertaining. Almost in a weird endearing sort of way.

I don't care for Batwing being dragged into this stuff, though. I liked him adventuring and taking on Batman incorporated baddies. I know they want to channel Morrison's weirdness in this book, but simply replaying the themes doesn't work. You have to know when to cut them off and just give us a glance of it. That's why Court of Owls feels overexposed but Dr Hurt is still kind of a mystery.

While the situation with the Fox family is really a page turner, Batwing's foray into "the Thunderdome" did kind of go maybe one issue too long.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1