Spectacular Member

Default Was "X-men Origins: Wolverine" canon to the original trilogy?

Some people say it wasn't canon. I'm curious as to why "The Wolverine" wasn't called "X-men Origin: Wolverine 2".
    Were they trying to erase the first Wolverine movie out of existence?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

XMO:Wolverine was canon to original trilogy. Since days if future past many events of that movie have been altered. The Wolverine would be called xmen origins because it was his origin it was a sequel to last stand
    X-Men Forever

I'm honestly not sure if it's considered to be canon or not considering that they basically ignore it with every movie beyond it.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

It doesn't matter now. Days of Future Past has retconned away that sh**fest. Good riddance, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I'm honestly not sure if it's considered to be canon or not considering that they basically ignore it with every movie beyond it.
    Actually, quite the opposite. X-Men: First Class is the only movie to not reference it, and that's more because Logan isn't part of that story in any way (save the cameo) and less about ignoring the film, and The Wolverine and X-Men: Days Of Future Past reference it quite explicitly.

The Wolverine:
    -Much of it's base premise relies on information established in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, i.e.: that Logan had bone claws before Weapon X (it was established in the COMICS that Logan has natural bone claws, but in the movies, it is X-Men Origins: Wolverine that establishes this), and that Logan was in World War II.
    -A direct reference to X-Men Origins: Wolverine, when Logan is waking up after being captured by Viper, and the voices and memories are running through his head, he has the memory of Kayla, and Logan calling out to Kayla can be heard.

X-Men: Days Of Future Past:
    -When Logan first wakes up in 1973, the woman he is with calls him "Jimmy" - X-Men Origins: Wolverine establishes that Logan was once called Jimmy.
    -Again, bone claws pre-Weapon X
    -When Logan sees Stryker in Paris, the Weapon X footage is pulled from both the X2 flashbacks, as well as the X-Men Origins: Wolverine Weapon X sequence.
    -When young Xavier reads Logan's mind, many of the images shown from his memories are from X-Men Origins: Wolverine - i.e. Weapon X footage, as well as Creed stomping off Logan's claw.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is very much continuity / canon with the main trilogy, and it is very much taken into consideration in the movies that have come out since.

Here comes another question.
    Are the Sabretooth from X1 and Origins the same? Logan and him didn't seem to know each other in X1 .
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Are the Sabretooth from X1 and Origins the same? Logan and him didn't seem to know each other in X1 .
    Well, Logan kind of didn't have his memories in X1.

Not sure what Sabes's excuse was, tho.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DCCoolness View Post
    Some people say it wasn't canon. I'm curious as to why "The Wolverine" wasn't called "X-men Origin: Wolverine 2".
    Were they trying to erase the first Wolverine movie out of existence?
    After DOFP, it is not canon. The timeline was altered to a major point, up to how much, it is yet to be revealed.
    The Wolverine was not called X-Men Origins Wolverine 2 because XMOW was working as a prequel to the first X-Men movie.
    The Wolverine took place after The Last Stand.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    After DOFP, the parts after 1973 are not canon. The timeline was altered to a major point, up to how much, it is yet to be revealed.
    The Wolverine was not called X-Men Origins Wolverine 2 because XMOW was working as a prequel to the first X-Men movie.
    The Wolverine took place after The Last Stand.
    Fixed.

People keep treating DoFP like it was a hard reset, but it's not. Certain things STILL happen, IE Wolverine and Creed are still brothers who spent decades fighting in wars alongside each other. Also, Logan still got blow'ed up at Nagasaki, setting in motion Yashida's obsession with his healing factor, so The Wolverine is very likely to still take place (it was Yashida watching Logan heal from a nuclear bomb, NOT the events of X3, that was the catalyst for The Wolverine's plot).

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    That question was really never answered. I believe they are supposed to be the same person, but we never got an explanation for why Sabretooth looked so different in X1 nor why he didn't really seem to know Logan (other than him taking his dog tags, which indicated some recognition in Creed's mind). Obviously something happened to change the guy pretty substantially between the end of XMO:W and beginning of X1, but moviegoers just never got to see what it was. And now that DoFP has rebooted the timeline, it's kind of a moot point.

My personal theory is that Sinister got ahold of Creed and experimented on him.

Spectacular Member

I think William Stryker is still alive in the new timeline. If they want, they could bring back Mr. Cox to reprise his role as the middle-aged villain.

I hope Wolverine: Origins isn't cannon, because it's like a 13 year old read the first few issues of "Origin," wrote a fanfic, and somehow Hollywood picked it up and turned it into a script.
    I liked Liev Schreiber as Sabertooth, though.
    You want to read good X-Men fanfics?
    https://www.fanfiction.net/~pantiara

Well it is canon, but the nice thing is, if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it, and then it is essentially non-canon for you.

Like I personally think that Terminator 3 and Terminator: Salvation are disgraces to the Terminator name. They are officially canon, but I simply don't watch them, and for myself, the Terminator movies ended with 2.