Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

The story that never ends, Jesus.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    She's significant for the Will Arc considering they kinda need her help a great deal against the new Beyond Omega dude. So if they're gonna talk about recent and near future than Rachel should be mentioned considering her role at least for the next few issues before Cyclops packs up and heads back to his seclusion from his hater club/
    Her significance to that story remains to be seen...it's not like she's done much yet.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Kane View Post
    I wondered this myself. Paul Smith's run had Cyclops with the X-Men finishing up the Brood saga but he went to Alaska when it was over. During most of Paul Smith's run is the whole "Madelyne: Is She Or Isn't She Jean Grey?" story. Contrary to what BMB was thinking ("Hm. I wonder what's cooking with this guy."), I was thinking at the time "Why doesn't Claremont do more with Cyclops?"
    I'm assuming he's talking about things like Cyclops leading the assault on the New Mutants at the end of the Brood Saga, his taking down all the X-Men on his own in UXM 175, and the XM/Alpha Flight mini (also by Claremont & Smith) where his was willing to fight a pregnant Maddie (Asgardian powered though she was) to do what he thought was right...to me, the character did come off a little edgier in those stories than previously seen so I can kind of see where he was coming from on that.

And I definitely agree Claremont has written an awesome Cyclops when he wanted to...it's just a shame he rarely wants to and usually either ignores him or writes him as a total douche.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomuniverse View Post
    Cyclops didn't even pay a price for the Xavier death.
    Other than his powers going wonky, his girlfriend dumping him, losing the respect and friendship of many of his fellow mutants, becoming an international fugitive, having his younger self vow never to become him... Yeah, no consequences whatsoever.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Kane View Post
    I wondered this myself. Paul Smith's run had Cyclops with the X-Men finishing up the Brood saga but he went to Alaska when it was over. During most of Paul Smith's run is the whole "Madelyne: Is She Or Isn't She Jean Grey?" story. Contrary to what BMB was thinking ("Hm. I wonder what's cooking with this guy."), I was thinking at the time "Why doesn't Claremont do more with Cyclops?"
    I had the same thought during that era where Claremont basically wrote out Cyclops from Uncanny X-Men. Which was why i was so happy that Layton stole him away from Claremont to launch X-Factor. In hindsight this was probably the beginning of the end of Cyclop's consistent characterization (eg. ditching his wife and baby to hang out with Jean and X-Factor).

I could not help but laugh when Bendis said Exodus was "dead"/ Seriously when will comic writers stop saying that. Death is pretty much not that bad of a thing in comics. Give it time and Exodus will rise from the dead. Too good of a character to be thrown away imo. Give me Exodus over Malloy any day imo. I don;t hate the character of Malloy. Just that in typical Benids fashion one of his pet creations can do anything and everything. Defeat anyone and everyone.
    Last edited by sureshot; 10-01-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rickbarry View Post
    I s'pose by Bendis terms he was free to never bring him up again. Although the Fear Itself/AvX storylines would have made for interesting writing over...what happened to Dazzler? She was tied to a bed? Incredibly interesting.
    She was freed by Magneto when he busted into Mystique's Genoshan citadel, brought to the NXS, healed by Christopher Muse, underwent an incredibly emotional revelation abocut her life choices, and decided to ugly herself up as a mark of her transgressions and a departure from her former life. She now lives for revenge and might be addicted to battle.
    Last edited by ohsnapulon5000; 10-01-2014 at 10:08 AM.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    The story that never ends, Jesus.
    Long may it continue - I haven't thoroughly enjoyed an x-comic like this in years.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    Long may it continue - I haven't thoroughly enjoyed an x-comic like this in years.
    I actually have come to like Bendis decompressed story writing for the most part. The flaw in that style of writing is that the end of the story needs to be epic. Sometimes his endings are not worth the wait imo. Certainly not the 15-20 issues he takes sometimes to tell the story. When it does work it is epic though.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    I actually have come to like Bendis decompressed story writing for the most part. The flaw in that style of writing is that the end of the story needs to be epic. Sometimes his endings are not worth the wait imo. Certainly not the 15-20 issues he takes sometimes to tell the story. When it does work it is epic though.
    I'll agree with this. The slow burn is more often more pleasurable than the actual climax.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    Just that in typical Benids fashion one of his pet creations can do anything and everything. Defeat anyone and everyone.
    It's not for Bendis pet creation : that new mutant probably isn't going to last. It was for the story plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    It's not for Bendis pet creation : that new mutant probably isn't going to last. It was for the story plot.
    True. Yet it seems like he does that with almost every character. Sure have a favored character defeat his enemies. Yet also suffer some loss to his enemies. I find that more interesting that just one character walking through everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    I'll agree with this. The slow burn is more often more pleasurable than the actual climax.
    I am hard on Benids because I do think he can write good stories. His decompressed style does work with some stories as well. He just needs to refrain from having his characters walking through everybody. If Malloy can defeat all his enemies he has no business being defeated at the end imo.
    Last edited by sureshot; 10-01-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Amazing Member

Bendis is one of my favorite writers, and while I'll admit he can sometimes be prone to decompression, the dialogue and interactions he writes between the characters make me smile more than any actual "plot progression." I've been hanging on every panel of "Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier" for these very reasons. It actually shows X-Men interacting like a family. A big dysfunctional family of course, but a family nonetheless.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedog2 View Post
    Bendis is one of my favorite writers, and while I'll admit he can sometimes be prone to decompression, the dialogue and interactions he writes between the characters make me smile more than any actual "plot progression." I've been hanging on every panel of "Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier" for these very reasons. It actually shows X-Men interacting like a family. A big dysfunctional family of course, but a family nonetheless.
    SOMETIMES prone to decompression? I will agree there are nice little character scenes here and there though...at least for those that aren't acting completely out of character.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    Her significance to that story remains to be seen...it's not like she's done much yet.
    We've seen her in the previews a great deal for the issue, if she's going to be there that much and actively doing something in an arc that wont be ending anytime soon than she should get name dropped at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    she probably dies off-panel like exodus did against mallory.
    Considering that she's set to appear in comics after this is all said and done there's no way she dies in this.