Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Bravo! I like that flow chart!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Only a 1% population change then, eh?

On a related note, can the FCC fine stations for stupidity or fear mongering?
    Considering they convinced half the country they were going to die of friggin' SARS a couple years ago, apparently not.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Considering they convinced half the country they were going to die of friggin' SARS a couple years ago, apparently not.
    I remember the Daily Show having fun with Monkey Pox. And avian flu, and swine flu, and illegal immigrants with leprosy, etc., etc.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Quick, everyone BATHE in Purell! Immune system damage be damned!!!!
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Things more likely to kill Americans than Ebola:

Obama's drones
    George Zimmerman
    Prescription drugs
    Anti-Vaxxers
    Anti-Abortion nutjobs
    Working 3 jobs
    "responsible gun owners"
    Toddler w/ a gun
    Police
    Poverty

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post

Obama's drones
    George Zimmerman
    Prescription drugs
    Anti-Vaxxers
    Anti-Abortion nutjobs
    Working 3 jobs
    "responsible gun owners"
    Toddler w/ a gun
    Police
    Poverty
    Ebola will be less of a political issue as more people catch it. I would rather that we overreacted to Ebola than if we underreact to the disease.

BANNED

Obama's drones
    George Zimmerman
    Prescription drugs
    Anti-Vaxxers
    Anti-Abortion nutjobs
    Working 3 jobs
    "responsible gun owners"
    Toddler w/ a gun
    Police
    Poverty
    Racism and drunken acts of stupid

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    1. Yes! (Apparently with good reason seeing as it seems to be spreading around the globe, has a pretty high fatality statistic, does not have a ready cure, can mutate like any virus can.)

2. I don't know. That's the problem. The thing can take weeks to incubate inside someone before it's pretty apparent it isn't just a cold or a regular flu or, heck, allergies. By that time I could have had contact with a few infected people. How would I know before I start coughing and sneezing, and spitting/vomiting,bleeding out and infect my own loved ones?

Until I can get solid reassurances about this virus and how it -still- -currently- works (as opposed to how it worked in epidemics before or even last week) I'm going to be a bit paranoid about it.

Maybe that paranoia will end up saving my family's lives.

Kyer (see my Avatar title)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Obama's drones
    George Zimmerman
    Prescription drugs
    Anti-Vaxxers
    Anti-Abortion nutjobs
    Working 3 jobs
    "responsible gun owners"
    Toddler w/ a gun
    Police
    Poverty
    Obama's drones
    Government oopsies
    Monsanto/gmo's/FDA approved chemicals
    Prescription drugs
    Hospital/doctor errors
    Abortions
    gun-toting criminals of any level of mental responsibility
    Working 3 jobs to pay taxes/fees/services (or whatever the gubmint wants to call them)

Yeah, death is everywhere. Some deaths hurt more than others. Some can be avoided and some are foisted on you by outside forces.
    You do what you can to avoid what you can avoid and pray about the rest.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    1. Yes! (Apparently with good reason seeing as it seems to be spreading around the globe, has a pretty high fatality statistic, does not have a ready cure, can mutate like any virus can.)

2. I don't know. That's the problem. The thing can take weeks to incubate inside someone before it's pretty apparent it isn't just a cold or a regular flu or, heck, allergies. By that time I could have had contact with a few infected people. How would I know before I start coughing and sneezing, and spitting/vomiting,bleeding out and infect my own loved ones?
    You cannot contract Ebolavirus disease from a non-symptomatic person - this includes the the low likelihood of infection through sexual contact.

Until I can get solid reassurances about this virus and how it -still- -currently- works (as opposed to how it worked in epidemics before or even last week) I'm going to be a bit paranoid about it.
    The virus would need multiple generations of accumulated mutations on a massive scale before developing a mutation that makes it airborne.

Maybe that paranoia will end up saving my family's lives.
    If you have cold like symptoms, don't touch anyone. If anyone has cold-like symptoms, don't touch thatone.

Kyer (see my Avatar title)

Just to illustrate the point about the airborne mutation, consider HIV: More people have had and have died from HIV. There are probably more people infected with untreated HIV, right now, than are infected with and have died from this latest outbreak of Ebola. The longer a virus is present in an untreated host and longer it reproduces, the more mutations it accumulates. When you put together the millions of generations of mutations accumulated by the millions of people with HIV right now and consider that it still hasn't gone airborne, it sort of gives you an idea of the time line for the development of catastrophic mutations.

I should be more worried about an aerosolised version of HIV - because that's a virus that an unaware/untreated person can be pass on while asymptomatic, and has a much longer incubation period allowing a person to infect way more people than a disease with such a catastrophic fatality rate.

As a pathologist I work with put it:

"People freak out about Ebola going airborne. WHY? That would be stupid. Evolution works for diseases to evolve in ways that promote their survival. Viruses evolve to learn how to survive for long periods of time in a host, not wipe them out entirely. Because if they did... they wouldn't survive."

She's got a point. Of course, mutation can also be random, with no benefit, as I pointed out. She agreed, but said the it's far more likely it mutates to be less lethal.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

If the reason you're worried about Ebola is because it might mutate into some deadlier form at some moment, then how can you live with the constant panic of knowing that could just as easily happen with something more common like the flu? You can't live in constant panic all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    If the reason you're worried about Ebola is because it might mutate into some deadlier form at some moment, then how can you live with the constant panic of knowing that could just as easily happen with something more common like the flu? You can't live in constant panic all of the time.
    Today he's only Ensign Trips, but he looks forward to promotion.

Yesterday on the news radio, the anchor was reading some tweets about ebola, some of them claiming it was a conspiracy. In the last one he said "@idontrememberthename says 'I think ebola is a smokescreen but I'm not sure of what' The only smokescreen @idontremember is that people are f****ing dying and you are making a game out of it". It was glorious.