Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Paging Captain Trips, your flight is ready.

Oh, this is bad, but at least I guess now will finally find a cure before it get a chance to truly spread out over the world.

BANNED

About as likely to cause an Ebola outbreak as the African Ebola victims that have already been brought here for treatment. So, no big deal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Paging Captain Trips, your flight is ready.
    If nothing else, hopefully this situation will get them to remake the TV movie (maybe as a series).

As to the disease, sure Ebola's scary. So was SARS, avian flu, swine flu, monkey pox, etc. World didn't end. Do want to go back and watch "12 Monkeys" again now.

"It is certainly possible that someone who had contact with this individual...could develop Ebola in the coming weeks," Frieden said, but added that "there is no doubt in my mind that we will stop it here," Frieden said.

Wow, does that not sound ominously like a line straight out of movie about an outbreak?

This guy is hospitalized 31 miles from my house, and honestly I'm not the least bit worried. An outbreak like what is happening in Africa is very unlikely to happen in the US. We are talking about two regions that are worlds apart in terms of medical knowledge, capability and response. And besides, I have no intentions of visiting the hospital to mess around with infections bodily fluids, so I don't feel like there is much risk in just continuing on with my life while the internet explodes with fear and paranoia. If it were an airborne virus, I would be worried. But it isn't.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Just gonna put this out there, in the UK we actually bought someone who was infected back from Africa because it was easier to treat it in the UK rather than in Africa. No one else got infected at all in the journey between Africa and here. It is possible he spread it to people. But ultimately it can be contained incredibly easy in a developed country because of good sanitation and most people don't drink from the same water source. Ebola isn't really anything overly concerning for anywhere other than the countries where poor sanitation and poor healthcare is rampant.

Quote Originally Posted by adameastment View Post
    Just gonna put this out there, in the UK we actually bought someone who was infected back from Africa because it was easier to treat it in the UK rather than in Africa. No one else got infected at all in the journey between Africa and here. It is possible he spread it to people. But ultimately it can be contained incredibly easy in a developed country because of good sanitation and most people don't drink from the same water source. Ebola isn't really anything overly concerning for anywhere other than the countries where poor sanitation and poor healthcare is rampant.
    So the US is screwed then?

You don't have any Idea what poor healthcare is on a international standard, None at all.

Only if the US was still in the 1700's

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Pretty much. It's just that now Ebola is also in the crowded race for our demise.
    Which should make all the people who want the world's population to go way down extremely happy.

I believe the incubation period is 21 days for the virus?

Pay no attention to the number of plane passengers in close quarters, shopping crowds, bank lines, sneezing, coughing, snot-wiping kids.
    Everything is going to be just fine.

But just so we're clear....

everyone stay the h* away from me. : smilie puts on garlic bulb necklace:
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Ebola isn't airborne. You can only get it from directly handling the blood, urine or feces of an infected person.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

If everything I've heard about messin' with Texas is true we'll be fine.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Ebola isn't airborne. You can only get it from directly handling the blood, urine or feces of an infected person.
    Ew. Right. Do not--on any account--re-watch those videos on how filthy public restrooms, doorhandles, and shopping carts are with their traces of bodily...unfortunate stuff. Carry Lysol can at all times. And wipes. Wear gloves. Maybe a hazmat suit.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

In a country of 300 million people one person has a disease which is non-contagious.

#endofourtimes