Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default The 31 Days of Halloween

*slowly crawls out of a filled grave, falls to his back and takes a big gasp of air*

IIIIIIIIII llliiivveeeeee...........again.

Welcomes boils and ghouls....to the annual 31 Days of Halloween, a personal movie marathon into the deep, dark realms of the Horror genre. I am your MC.....Das Kollektor!!

*Thunder. Lightning. Annoyed looks at the sky*

I HATE when that happens. Even on sunny days, that happens!

Anyways, this thread is really simple. Throughout the month of October, you watch horror movies, you comment on movies you seen on this thread and revel in your posts.

Now, I know some of you crave the cold, hard caress of this silly thing called "Order" and sadly I must oblige you.

*rolls eyes*

Here is a loose set of rules you can abide by while participating this month...

1. 31 is the minimum: in order to be counted amongst the super, secret Brethren of the Night (put spooky music here), you must watch at least 31 films. Double and triple billing is highly encouraged. The Max is up to you, but you must at least view 31.

2. Visual Medium Be Damned: The movies shall not be just theatrical. TV, Cable, DVD/VHS and Streaming movies shall be legal tender as well. So view your hearts content.

3. Segmented Story or Anthology is recognized. Franchises are not: In order to ensure total exploration of the genre, viewing of full franchise horror will not be recognized save for the original feature film. There is a noticeable loophole in this. When a group of films are distributed under the title of a film which has no ties to the original movie, then it is legal.

4. Leave A Trail: Provide an IMDB link of all the films you view. This will allow the others the chance to add to their watchlists for later. Feel free to also add poster art and/or trailers as well to add color to your post.

I hope you all have fun this month.

Pleasant Nightmares.

INGOBERNABLES de INTER-WEB

Every year I pick a theme, seeing as how this is a new board I'm going to make this a Double Feature Season.

The first feature will be Alphabetical horror films from 1970-1980, the second feature is a "modern" horror film from 2010-2014

October 1st

Altered States (1980)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080360/

vs

Devil's Pass (2013)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1905040/
    1375954612_devil_s_pass-oo3.jpg

Five college students set off to find out what happened to the nine skiers who mysteriously died in the Dyatlov Pass incident. Holly and Jensen are co-directors, J. P. and Andy are expert climbers, and Denise is the sound engineer. After the film introduces the characters, Russian-language news discusses the students' disappearance. The Russian government recovers video footage but refuses to release it to the public; hackers release the footage, which forms the rest of the film.

Edward Jessup is a university professor of abnormal psychology who, while studying schizophrenia, begins to think that "our other states of consciousness are as real as our waking states."[2] Jessup begins experimenting with sensory deprivation using a flotation tank, aided by two like-minded researchers, Parrish and Rosenberg. At a faculty party he meets fellow "wonder kid" Emily and the two eventually marry.

When Edward hears of a Mexican tribe that experiences shared illusion states, he travels to Mexico to participate in what is apparently an Ayahuasca Ceremony. During the walk into the bush his guide states that the indigenous tribe they are meeting works with Amanita muscaria which they are collecting for next year's ceremonies. An indigenous elder is seen with Banisteriopsis caapi root in his hand prior to cutting Jessup's hand, adding blood to the mixture he is preparing. Immediately after consumption Edward experiences bizarre, intense imagery. He returns to the U.S. with a tincture and begins taking it orally before each session in the flotation tank where he experiences a series of increasingly drastic psychological and physical transformations.

This was Renny Harlin vs Ken Russell, Devil's Pass has good atmosphere while Altered States has better visuals. Altered States although imaginative I found it to be rather dull. But Devil's Pass falls apart at the end and the mystery never really comes together..I actually found this to be inferior to Siberia a faux reality/horror show from last year.

Round 1 - Altered States (C+) beats Devil's Pass (D+)

October 2nd

Escapes from Tomorrow (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2187884/

vs

Graduation Day (1981)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082467/

Escape from Tomorrow is a movie unlike anything you will ever see. Graduation Day is a movie you've seen many times. Yesterday's movies kinda blew, todays movies did not.

During a high school track race, Laura (Ruth Ann Llorens), a female runner, is pushed by the crowd and her demanding coach (who keeps screaming "move it, move it, move it!"). Apparently the pressure is too much for Laura who collapses right after crossing the finish line and breaking a 30 second 100 meter race. Upon examination by the coach and her teammates, Laura is dead. Some days later, Anne Ramstead (Patch Mackenzie), returning to town on leave from the U.S. Navy.

Escape from Tomorrow is a 2013 American fantasy horror film, the debut of writer-director Randy Moore. It follows an unemployed man having increasingly disturbing experiences and visions during the rides on a last day of a family vacation at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Both films work hard, and I mean that in the best of ways. Graduation Day is a slasher film and it is a ripoff of Prom Night, Friday the 13th etc, but what makes it great is that it puts in the work. You have options as to who the killer is, you don't know who the the hero is the story doesn't just build to a third act finale but actually moves along into a worthwhile epilogue. And the film has a dark wicked sense of humor to it. Normally I hate Troma films, this maybe the best one I've ever seen. But it loses to Escape from Tomorrow

Let me make this clear...you will love this film or it will be the worst thing you've ever seen in your life. The story barely holds together which is mostly due to it being shot guerrilla style in Disney World. But it is spectacular, it is a fever dream a deconstruction of masculinity a terrifying fairytale that blends science fiction with drama with horror with fantasy.

Escape from Tomorrow (A-) beats Graduation Day (B+)

This year we decided to only watch movies based on Stpehen King's noves and stories. We are prepared to see some awful movies.

October 1: Children Of the Corn - It was a surpise to see the main actors were Linda Hamilton and Peter Horton. I did like it, but it has dated. I especially liked that they never had to show the monster, and it still made it scary.

Incredible Member

October 1. The Lost Boys

Bit of a tradition for me. I've probably watched this at least once a year for...a lot of years. Still probably Schumacker's best movie. What is there to say about this 80s vamp classic that hasn't been said many times. Enjoy this tribute to the Sax Man.

I can't believe the guy didn't make an actual video for that song. Though, I suppose with the movie, he didn't really need one.

October 2.
    October 3. Night Angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghJ0kFEitsA

A steaming pile of crap starring Linden "Johnny Cage" Ashby, and other people I've never heard of or seen again. The demoness Lilith is out on the prowl, seducing and killing her way around a fashion magazine. This one is *so* 80s that it's hilarious. There are outfits in this movie that I'm not sure whether they were meant to be a parody or not. The seductress is MTV-skanky more than hot, and the dialogue is...wow. "I'd like to check your portfolio". Really? Did people really talk like this?!
    Fairly low budget, a few gory kills, some skank boobs and a short running time keep it watchable. Honestly, it's almost worth it just for one cheesy slow motion sequence that I don't want to spoil, but it made me literally LOL, not the fake-internet LOL where in actuality you just sort or grin for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by jessecuster3 View Post
    This year we decided to only watch movies based on Stpehen King's noves and stories. We are prepared to see some awful movies.
    Yeah...you're in a roller coaster of quality. Are you counting TV stuff? Actually, has he had 31 theatrical adaptations yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jared; 10-07-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

Yeah...you're in a roller coaster of quality. Are you counting TV stuff? Actually, has he had 31 theatrical adaptations yet?
    He does, actually, and we will skip Stand By Me, Shawshank, and Green Mile. However, we will probably watch It and The Stand that were on TV, and maybe even that Shining remake.

October 3rd

One Dark Night (1982)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086050/
    one-dark-night.jpg

The Calling (2014)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1666335/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Inspector Hazel Micallef (Susan Sarandon), a police detective living with her mother Emily (Ellen Burstyn) in the small rural Ontario town of Fort Dundas, has her normally quiet routine interrupted when she is called to check in on elderly woman Delia Chandler and instead finds Chandler gruesomely murdered with her face moulded into an apparent open-mouthed scream.

As part of an initiation into a club called the Sisters, a young girl must spend the night in a mausoleum. Six girls have been found murdered in the apartment of famed Russian occultist, Karl Raymarseivich Raymar, and police cannot explain it.

One Dark Night was one long chore to get through, but the payoff is worth it. The last fifteen minutes of the film are a horror classic, and while the atmosphere works well you would think that with so much build we would get to know the characters better than we ended up with.

The Calling on the other-hand is 90% character and 10% Se7en and while I got a kick out of the resolution and I did find the story to be somewhat engaging .

The Calling (2014) C+ beats One Dark Night (1982) C-

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jessecuster3 View Post

October 1: Children Of the Corn - It was a surpise to see the main actors were Linda Hamilton and Peter Horton. I did like it, but it has dated. I especially liked that they never had to show the monster, and it still made it scary.
    Well makes sure you see

Creepshow (It's got a few adaptions in it, and the stuff that isn't feel like reworked versions of short stories)
    Dolores Claiborne
    Carrie
    The Dead Zone
    Christine
    The Shining
    Salem's Lot
    Misery
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Graveyard Shift
    Cujo
    Firestarter
    The Dark Half
    The Mist
    Maximum Overdrive
    Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
    Apt Pupil
    Sleepwalkers (not based on a book, but it's King)

Haven't seen it at all, and it doesn't seem to officially be based on it, but this is seemingly an adaptation of Quitters, Inc.

That reminds me, I remember Guillermo del Toro and Alfonso Cuarón talking (on Charlie Rose) about how one (or both) swiped some King for a tv show I think. I'm guessing it was for Hora Marcada, so you might want to look into that if you want to see them doing Stpehen King.

October 1: Children Of The Corn

October 3: Christine - I did like this one quite a bit, even if the killings were all bascially like running the person over. I preferred that there was no rationale for why the car was evil(as oppsed to Cujo, preview). It was cool to see Kelly Preston when she was really hot.

October 4: Cujo - I did not like that it was just a rabid dog, and really there was nothing supernatural or anything going on. However, I really enjoyed the premise of the movie that they were trapped in the car the whole time. We discussed how it could be updated, but it would require a dead cell phone battery, also. Cool to see Dee Wallace and funny to see Danny Pinaturo, who would then go on to Who's The Boss.

October 5: Cat's Eye - I remebered this way more thn I thought. Quitters Inc, remains an awesome story and James Woods was great. I still am not crazy about the gambling story and walking the edge of the building. This would be much scarier if they did it today, as they have gotten much better about showing vertigo in movies. The final story of the gremlin thing is a good story, with an interesting twist.

And now we only have a couple of "C" movies left, Carrie(that we may be skipping as my wife has watched it tons of times), Creepshow 1 and 2. I wish Cell would be out this month but it seems to be pushed to 2015.

October 4th

Christine (1983)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085333/

vs

The ABC's of Death 2 (2014)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2926810/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    abcs-of-death-2-2.jpg

Christine is a 1983 American horror thriller film directed by John Carpenter and starring Keith Gordon, John Stockwell, Alexandra Paul and Harry Dean Stanton. It was written by Bill Phillips and based on the homonymous novel by Stephen King, published in 1983. The story, set in 1978, follows a sentient and violent automobile named "Christine", and its effects on Christine's teenaged owner.

ABCs of Death 2 is a 2014 American anthology horror comedy film produced by Ant Timpson and Tim League. It contains 26 different shorts, each by different directors spanning various countries. It is a sequel to the film The ABCs of Death.

This is an interesting faceoff, I hated the first ABC's of Death and while I've seen bits and pieces of Christine I've never cared enough to sit through the entire two hours of it. Christine for me is a film that lacks ambition, I found the story underwhelming and lacked the ambition that it's subject matter needs to achieve a top quality King adaptation. Everything in the film is well-made, the acting is serviceable, visually it's aged well but in the end it's predictability and long runtime brings what could be a B film down to a C.

The second ABC's of Death is a massive improvement over the first one in the way that I will actually remember some of these shorts. Like any anthology you take the good with the bad but the good with this one is that movie gets better as it goes along. And while the gross out stuff doesn't really work for me you have a number of very good high minded horror segments, satire, and creativity.

ABC's of Death 2 (2014) (B) beats Christine (1983) (C)

October 5th

1984 (1984)
    1984-movie-bb_a1.jpg
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803/

vs
    7500 (2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1975159/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6

Directed by British filmmaker Michael Radford, Nineteen Eighty-Four is the second film adaptation of the George Orwell novel. The film is set during April of 1984 in post-atomic war London, the capital city of the repressive totalitarian state of Oceania. Winston Smith (John Hurt) is a government bureaucrat whose job is rewriting history and erasing people from existence.

Flight 7500 departs Los Angeles International Airport bound for Tokyo. As the overnight flight makes its way over the Pacific Ocean during its ten-hour course, the passengers encounter what appears to be a supernatural force in the cabin.

Interesting battle between these two films, 1984 is very high-minded and literary but I felt like I needed to have read the book to understand the basic plot. We all know the themes I just wish I could lock onto something original and appreciate the story at no point during the film was I ever engaged. It's well made and it is a horror film but it just didn't work for me.

7500 is a B film, it's cheap filled with a dozen interchangeable characters phoning it in. But I loved it, it was fast and creative and the film changes direction several times in the very short run-time. I would recommend this movie, 1984 I would say read the book.

the guilty pleasures of 7500 (2014) B inches past the hard work of 1984 (1984) B

Incredible Member

October 4: Under the Skin

An alien (possibly an alien robot?) lures men to their doom to be harvested, for some reason. Then she reevaluates her life. It's beautifully shot, and has a great, unsettling score. But it's a minimalist narrative stretched out by many looooooong scenes of normal activities, like driving, extras just going about their business. Almost every one of those scenes could have been cut down while still getting the intended point across. Scarlett is very good at playing somebody mostly-detached. But that means for about half the movie, she's a bore to watch. It's so boring it took me three or four sittings to get through. Some things happen without any explanation, but apparently make sense if you've read the book its based on. There is one really creepy scene with a good scare in it. But otherwise, meh. What I'd really like to know is how they talked Scarlett Johannson into doing this movie and getting completely naked in it. It's too arthouse to have been paying a lot of money, and not actor-friendly enough to garner her any awards. But at any rate, even those scenes are kind of dull, all things considered. (She isn't, though. Not at all.)
    Last edited by Jared; 10-18-2017 at 10:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    October 4: Under the Skin

An alien (possibly an alien robot?) lures men to their doom to be harvested, for some reason. Then she reevaluates her life. It's beautifully shot, and has a great, unsettling score. But it's a minimalist narrative stretched out by many looooooong scenes of normal activities, like driving, extras just going about their business. Almost one of those scenes could have been cut down while still getting the intended point across. Scarlett is very good at playing somebody mostly-detached. But that means for about half the movie, she's a bore to watch. It's so boring it could be three or four sittings to get through. Some things happen without any explanation, but apparently make sense if you've read the book its based on. There is one really creepy scene with a good scare in it. But otherwise, meh. What I'd really like to know is how they talked Scarlett Johannson into doing this movie and getting completely naked in it. It's too arthouse to have been paying a lot of money, and not actor-friendly enough to garner her any awards. But at any rate, even those scenes are kind of dull, all things considered. (She isn't, though. Not at all.)
    Now when you mean naked you mean legit naked or body double naked?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Now when you mean naked you mean legit naked or body double naked?
    If it's a body-double then Scarlett has an absolute dopple-ganger. Besides, you're on the internet, do you really think you can't find the answer for yourself?

Oh, one interesting thing about the movie I read: some Scarlet's interactions with random passerbys were real, filmed with a hidden camera and then getting the guy's consent. And this goes to show that real Scots definitely don't speak the Queen's English! Seriously, Guy Ritchie movies are more intelligible than whatever was coming out of their mouths.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-06-2014 at 10:47 PM.

October 1: Children Of The Corn
    October 3: Christine
    October 4: Cujo
    October 5: Cat's Eye

October 6: Thinner - I remembered reading this book, but not very many details of it. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, either. I do like me some Joe Mantegna, he is from my favorite movie of all time(House Of Games).