Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Do you consider yourself to be a "nice person"?

I've had this question on my mind for awhile, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm too far gone to ever be considered nice. My parents, her friends and others have thrown every name under the sun at me, "anti-social" "rude" "slick mouth" etc. In a way I feel like I've purposefully made myself a little meaner because I don't interact with many people (single, unemployed 19 year old living at irritating mother's house that doesn't want to go to college for reasons I won't get into in this thread.) and I was sick of being a pushover.

I know there's a way to not be mean and not be a pushover, but I guess I like playing in extremes [Every now and then I'll get the "Oh, he's so cute." Translation: What a little brat.]

Weirdly enough, I feel like I'm nicer on the interwebz (which, as you all know, is where people are free to be as mean, nasty, and vile as they want, and suffer zero consequences), than I am in person.

But enough about me, I'm curious as to whether any of you think of yourselves as nice, kind, sweet, jolly etc.

Alt. Question: Do others consider you to be a nice person?

Play nice in this thread

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

No, I'm a horrible person. Basically everything I do is just miserable for myself and those around me.
    Or so I've come to believe over the last decade of my life. That's probably I don't do much of anything.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

No, I do not.

Alt: I have no idea. I assume most people who know me have seen me be a thoughtless prick too many times to believe it.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Non-confrontational I am.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    No, I'm a horrible person. Basically everything I do is just miserable for myself and those around me.
    Or so I've come to believe over the last decade of my life. That's probably I don't do much of anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    No, I do not.

Alt: I have no idea. I assume most people who know me have seen me be a thoughtless prick too many times to believe it.
    It feels so good being around other people who aren't nice. I'd cry if I could.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I'm certainly polite enough if made to be. I'm not an awful person, either. Mostly I'm human and kind of in the middle.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

No, I kinda consider myself to be something of a prick, but oddly enough, other people think that I'm a really nice guy. I think it's because people see through my curmugeonly ways and realize that I'm always the first person to help out a friend, even as I bitch and complain while doing it.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

I'm not a nice person at all. I'm a dick and I own up to that.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

BANNED

Nope. I am confrontational, judgmental jerk.

Alt: It depends. Other confrontational judgmental jerks might think so.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

There was once a time when I truly believed myself to be a nice guy.

But then looking objectively I see that clearly I'm not a nice guy as I've done stuff that is clearly jerkish or in jerk territory that includes making a assumption about a guy's lifestyles that he lived a Joey of friends lifestyle when really he doesn't as the women are aware he and them aren't getting involved in the serious territory. This false information of the Joey lifestyle I said to my brother.
    I didn't wipe down Machines I used at 24 hour fitness until several months ago reading it's the responsibility of the person, insults or smartass comments.
    There was once a girl that was asking me to a dance I think in high school I ended up avoiding this by talking about water parks as I was online looking at wAterparks I should have just said no thanks this was over the phone.
    Also this past summer when I saw edge of tomorrow the cashier at concessions asked how am I to which me being rude I didn't answer. Split ends and my hair was weighed down feeling like a freakin broom I didn't answer which is rude. I realize I don't have to lie and say good I could just say bad for a reason not having to specify.

I consider myself to be a good easy going guy.
    I desire to avoid discord, conflicts, drama, arguing although it doesn't seem to bother me if it's obvious it's unfair or I'm being taken advantage of or it's stuff I'm passionate about including teams I cheer for, or stuff is insults or just obvious crap. I don't want drama.
    Even if I disagree with something or someone which is going to happen I know you can still be polite in communicating it, or not being a jerk in communicating information. It's something I try to do but still have even times when clearly I suck and fail.

I don't want to create problems but I realize as Abraham Lincoln said it best you can't please everyone. I know this doesn't mean I should go out of my way to antagonize and piss off people .
    In the times I've hurt people I've apologized as I hate people being mad at me but also because I'm aware I screwed up.

I'll get gifts for people I've known long enough along with if I know what they're a fan of or something they like or love.
    Last edited by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon; 09-30-2014 at 10:34 PM.

I was going to say 'no', but then I went over the other replies, and I figure it would be more closer to the truth to say 'some people think I'm nice, some people don't'.

Overall, I am very, very aloof and a bit stand-offish in my interaction with others. There are people who manage to poke through that, and reach my softer sides, and these are the people who tend to think of me as 'a nice guy'.

Also, I think that it might change over time. When I was about 20 years old, while still socially awkward, I was also a lot more naive- but also more willing to play friendly with people I just met. I've grown more cautious around people I meet for the first time, because I got 'bitten' a couple of times.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Honestly, its a complex question. I try to be nice. Goodness is something I attempt to live up to. My life motto boils down to "don't be a dick".

However, I'm privvy to my own private thoughts, and dammit, sometimes I can get downright nasty in my mind.
    Life is but a dream

I struggle with this. I like to be nice to others, but when they're less than that to me, I tend to impose my will on them. So, it depends.

Alt question: I'm pretty sure others, 80% of them approximately would consider me to be a nice person.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Alt. Question: Do others consider you to be a nice person?

They do. But, then again, I'm a sociopath.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

I'm alright, people think I'm swell

I think I'm A-Okay!
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie