Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I've had this question on my mind for awhile, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm too far gone to ever be considered nice. My parents, her friends and others have thrown every name under the sun at me, "anti-social" "rude" "slick mouth" etc. In a way I feel like I've purposefully made myself a little meaner because I don't interact with many people (single, unemployed 19 year old living at irritating mother's house that doesn't want to go to college for reasons I won't get into in this thread.) and I was sick of being a pushover.

I know there's a way to not be mean and not be a pushover, but I guess I like playing in extremes [Every now and then I'll get the "Oh, he's so cute." Translation: What a little brat.]

Weirdly enough, I feel like I'm nicer on the interwebz (which, as you all know, is where people are free to be as mean, nasty, and vile as they want, and suffer zero consequences), than I am in person.

But enough about me, I'm curious as to whether any of you think of yourselves as nice, kind, sweet, jolly etc.

Alt. Question: Do others consider you to be a nice person?

Play nice in this thread
    It is not so much about being nice it is that your a 19 year old, and for the most part most 19 year olds are still idiots trying to figure themselves out. As you get older in most case you learn to get along with people more unless you just go out of your way to be a dick for no other reason than to be a dick. It just takes to much energy to be a dick all the time. Plus the older you get the more other people around you have less tolerance for being around people who are always dicks or worse the ones who are always trying to bring other around them down to make themselves feel better.

I consider myself a nice person. I am usually polite and friendly to people and will help out friends and family in need and even strangers. I am the kind of person if i see you have a taillite out on your car I will tell you.

Like I said it is a lot harder being and antisocial dick all the time than it is just being friendly.

Yes, I consider myself a very nice person. Modest? No. Nice? Yes

I try to be nice, but my trying is kind of selective. I tend to analyze who would be nice in return, I don't want to waste my effort on bad people.

Alt: I think most people consider me as nice.

I think it's also important to remember two things:
    a) by-and-large, everyone argues with their family at some point; that doesn't mean you aren't nice, nor does it mean you don't love them.
    b) you can still be a very nice person even if there are a few people who don't like you. No-one is beloved by all, everyone rubs someone up the wrong way. Doesn't mean you aren't nice, just means personalities clash. Not being uber nice to someone who is rude to you doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you human.

I think a few people are being way too harsh about themselves. Glass half-full, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Alt: I think most people consider me as nice.
    I think you're nice! (though you should give Bendis more credit in regard to Emma Frost )

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Do you consider yourself to be a "nice person"?
    As much as I would wish such to be, yes, in my own eyes both as anyone whom I'd value to be seeing it that way.
    Like I can mostly prove nice or either not so much, whenever I feel I need myself to be.

If my living taught me anything it is that the only status quo (or full personal sense to autonomy) would be NEVER.
    By which I mean that I feel fortunate to have always been developing myself into dealing with whatever I couldn't control as still being to benefit me.

Like having to be in school at 19, or any duty or responsibility as getting bestowed upon me, any sense of loss or tragedy or pain or sorrow or misfortune - as if any crap to be getting would actually be doing me good. And all those I've known to be to value seem mostly appreciative both as in agreement toward my person profoundly, as far as I could be to tell.

There'd be plenty of stuff I worry over, but toward my own person and my sense of autonomy, my aptitude toward life or happiness itself I think I feel most confident most of the time.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

BANNED

No. To go into more detail, I'm very good at engaging with others and making polite conversation (especially with strangers) and if someone asks me for a favor that doesn't involve money (money favors come down to an individual's trustworthiness) I'm generally going to do it whether it's as simple as helping them carry groceries or as time-consuming (and backbreaking) as moving. However, with people I'm comfortable around I joke a lot and can cross the line. And while I'll rarely start a debate or (verbal) confrontation I'll not only not back down but will welcome it. When someone's being overly rude I'll go saccharine sweet to annoy them. Also, when someone's wrong I'll tend to be tactless and tell them so. Whether that's rudeness, factually, or otherwise. Basically honest to a fault and argumentative.

Alt: If you just met me or know me casually you probably think I'm a swell guy. If you spend enough time around me you'll probably think I'm fun to be around, but not the nicest guy around (when it comes to verbal exchanges, when it comes to actions I tend to be nicer and more reliable than other friends/family who put on a sweet but false face) and nobody you want to argue with unless you're in it for the long haul because I don't get bored easily when I'm engaged in that way.

BANNED

I guess most of the time I am, when I'm not trolling. Just last night, I picked 3 little kittens from the street, I'm feeding them and trying to find a home for the cute little bastards . Gaming night was ruined, but that's better than the alternative .

I'm not nice. I'm not good. I'm just right.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think it's also important to remember two things:
    a) by-and-large, everyone argues with their family at some point; that doesn't mean you aren't nice, nor does it mean you don't love them.
    Great advice right there, Kieran, and something that took me a while to understand myself. When I was growing up, in my preteen and teenage years, I'd get into nearly endless fights with my brother, physical altercations. When we weren't in fisticuffs, I was getting into regular arguments with my mother about one thing or another. Looking back I do feel terrible about how I acted, but people go through those rough patches. Eventually you move past it and realize it doesn't define you.

I'm a dick...I have little to no patience for dumb lazy people which this world is far too full of.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I think I'm a nice guy, well I try to be at least, but that's really for others to decide.

Yep. I'm one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet in real life. I even have a pretty fair tolerance threshold for bullshit, stupidity, and divas. But, that threshold can be exceeded. Some people have been known to intentionally press that limit, in which case I have a pretty long memory.

Alt: In real life, yes. Online, I'm betting some people think "no", and I'm OK with that (see above).
    Last edited by Paul W.; 10-01-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    I know there was something else here before, but I forgot what it was. Must not have been important.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Whether I'm a 'nice' guy or not I guess would be for other people to decide. I know for a fact however that I'm a much more grounded person than I was in the early to mid '90s.

That was my 'Kevin The Teenager' period (although technically I turned 20 in 1994). I wince when I think back to those years.

Pretty much all forms of mass entertainment from that period I cannot stand (bar football and The Simpsons). The music? Aaagh. The comics? Possibly even worse.

I'm nice enough. I'm not selfish or miserly, pretty charitable, and I'm generally helpful without any expectations but I'm not a pushover and will let someone know when they've gone to far.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think you're nice! (though you should give Bendis more credit in regard to Emma Frost )
    I was nice in giving his writing a chance despite his opinion being different than mine. But that's over now