Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Aaron Details the Female Thor Debut, Simonson Talks Prior Changes

CBR's Jonah Weiland spoke to Jason Aaron about Marvel's new female-fronted "Thor" series, and with Walt Simonson about past changes to the character.

Full article here.

I've been very impresse with Dauterman's art on Cyclops. He reminds me of Coipel.
    On another note Thor should always have a beard. In fact more superheroes should have beards.
    How about Alex?

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I loved Dauterman's art on Cyclops, it's good in these previews. And havok, yeah, I agree I prefer bearded Thor but then I prefer Norse mythological Thor to Marvel's anyway. I am one of those folks who will stay away until Thor becomes worthy again (despite his unworthiness being the only interesting hook of all the changes at Marvel NOW.)

I hope folks like it and that Jason remains on Thor for awhile despite my disagreement with this temporary switcheroo. He's got a fine handle on the character, regardless of what I think.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

All-New Member

whose interest is peaked by this
    piqued

it sounds like its going to
    it's going to

All-New Member

Aaron: We pay respect to the characters we have.

Uh, respect?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos022 View Post
    Aaron: We pay respect to the characters we have.

Uh, respect?

Exactly. This is disrespect to the highest regard. Really a whisper? From fake Nick Fury? Wearing "uru proof armor"? seesh get outta here with that!
    Cyclops was right

Amazing Member

Having just read the issue, if they're going for the implication that they set up and that the new Thor is Freyja, I'll be extremely happy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    Exactly. This is disrespect to the highest regard. Really a whisper? From fake Nick Fury? Wearing "uru proof armor"? seesh get outta here with that!
    Yeah. Zarathos and ciscostudent that is just Terrible! I have been on almost every Thor thread in the past two weeks, and sometimes I even felt that maybe I was overreacting at some points. But now, thanks to this interview, I know that I'm not. That im actually now infuriated more than ever. To the point where I cancelled my pull list of all Marvel books excluding the Avengers line two weeks ago. And I mean I bought basically everything they piblished monthly since 1997. Today, I'm done. "Respect The character?" Has this fool been so wrought in his orders that he now believes his own stupidity is true??? He even refers to him as "the other guy". And "he has a story too.....but blah blah blah blah." The fact that he calls him the previous guy, the Chris Hemsworth looking one is a total sign of disrespect. Saying that he is essentially no longer relevant. So then why is he in this book at all. Let's see: to humiliate him further when that (insert cuss word of choice here) saves him after he gets his arm ripped off? Or maybe, just maybe, to save you from the windfall loss of sales that will occur after the initial boost? Let's face it, no one who is new to comics is going to come in massive droves to this. It'll be like the publicity BS from the JL sales. "It sold 300,000 + copies. It's resonating with the young people who blah blah blah." They never mentioned that it was the same 100,000 people buying 2 or three copies of the same book that was the source of their "increased sales" because it's not selling anywhere near that now. So there's no point to the gimmick. Yes, Mr Aaron, THE GIMMICK. You want to have your cake and eat it too. Tell me, if THOR was still important in this book, more than that thing he's trying to call a hero, the part of the story that is most important would be the Odinsons story. Because that's where you'd get to the root of all the event. Her little rummage with fame is secondary. After you learn why she's "worthy", out the numerous others who already are, there is nothing else to know. She doesn't have any history with the cast other than her current foray since he's only been writing the book for two years. That makes it almost positive that it's one of those new girls he made up. So their dynamics will be forced. To make it seem like there's a rivalry between Odinson and his established cast and a nobody loser who will die at Gorr's hands eventually. I'm done. Im canceling my Avengers pull list as well since now I don't want to see the "the Other guy"' get disrespected more looking like some high class bum and armless. Thank you Marvel of the past for what was most often a simply MARVELOUS ride. Quite frankly I'm done with you now. I just got a nice stack of back issues of REAL THOR stories and that's what I was planning to do until this ended. Now, I'm pretty sure im not coming back. That last issue was pretty good though. Too bad Marvel decided to stop publishing Thor. I wonder who'll fill in his ginormous shoes as Marvels big gun. Hyperion? Blue Marvel? Beta Ray bill? Heck, maybe the Sentry! Other than them, I see no worthy candidates for Earths protector.
    Last edited by ThunderingHammer; 10-01-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    Yeah. Zarathos and ciscostudent that is just Terrible! I have been on almost every Thor thread in the past two weeks, and sometimes I even felt that maybe I was overreacting at some points. But now, thanks to this interview, I know that I'm not. That im actually now infuriated more than ever. To the point where I cancelled my pull list of all Marvel books excluding the Avengers line two weeks ago. And I mean I bought basically everything they piblished monthly since 1997. Today, I'm done. "Respect The character?" Has this fool been so wrought in his orders that he now believes his own stupidity is true??? He even refers to him as "the other guy". And "he has a story too.....but blah blah blah blah." The fact that he calls him the previous guy, the Chris Hemsworth looking one is a total sign of disrespect. Saying that he is essentially no longer relevant. So then why is he in this book at all. Let's see: to humiliate him further when that (insert cuss word of choice here) saves him after he gets his arm ripped off? Or maybe, just maybe, to save you from the windfall loss of sales that will occur after the initial boost? Let's face it, no one who is new to comics is going to come in massive droves to this. It'll be like the publicity BS from the JL sales. "It sold 300,000 + copies. It's resonating with the young people who blah blah blah." They never mentioned that it was the same 100,000 people buying 2 or three copies of the same book that was the source of their "increased sales" because it's not selling anywhere near that now. So there's no point to the gimmick. Yes, Mr Aaron, THE GIMMICK. You want to have your cake and eat it too. Tell me, if THOR was still important in this book, more than that thing he's trying to call a hero, the part of the story that is most important would be the Odinsons story. Because that's where you'd get to the root of all the event. Her little rummage with fame is secondary. After you learn why she's "worthy", out the numerous others who already are, there is nothing else to know. She doesn't have any history with the cast other than her current foray since he's only been writing the book for two years. That makes it almost positive that it's one of those new girls he made up. So their dynamics will be forced. To make it seem like there's a rivalry between Odinson and his established cast and a nobody loser who will die at Gorr's hands eventually. I'm done. Im canceling my Avengers pull list as well since now I don't want to see the "the Other guy"' get disrespected more looking like some high class bum and armless. Thank you Marvel of the past for what was most often a simply MARVELOUS ride. Quite frankly I'm done with you now. I just got a nice stack of back issues of REAL THOR stories and that's what I was planning to do until this ended. Now, I'm pretty sure im not coming back. That last issue was pretty good though. Too bad Marvel decided to stop publishing Thor. I wonder who'll fill in his ginormous shoes as Marvels big gun. Hyperion? Blue Marvel? Beta Ray bill? Heck, maybe the Sentry! Other than them, I see no worthy candidates for Earths protector.
    TOTAL OUTRAGE!! I can't express how outraged I've become at this mockery. This charade. Unbelievable. Can't believe this at all.
    Cyclops was right

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

In other words...

Even the great Walter Simonson can see the potential in this so...Sit back and enjoy the "not so unusual but promises to be interesting" ride for wot it's worth.

If not...

Move on already.

And I have to agree. If this is not to your liking or interest...move on. Explore new books, new characters, new publishers. Complaining and whining is not going to change Aaron and Marvel's minds about this direction.

Personally, I hated Aaron on X-Men and I don't particularly care for Thor but...This premise seems quite interesting to me so I'll definitely be giving it a look-see off the shelf.
    Last edited by Mahes; 10-01-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: language
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    In other words...

Even the great Walter Simonson can see the potential in this so...Sit back and enjoy the "not so unusual but promises to be interesting" ride for wot it's worth.

If not...

STFU! and move on already.

And I have to agree. If this is not to your liking or interest...move on. Explore new books, new characters, new publishers. Complaining and whining is not going to change Aaron and Marvel's minds about this direction.

Personally, I hated Aaron on X-Men and I don't particularly care for Thor but...This premise seems quite interesting to me so I'll definitely be giving it a look-see off the shelf.
    First of all, I quite literally named the two people I adressed in my comment. Not meant for anyone who doesn't share my view. Second,I've already explored everything Marvel has. I'm not a bandwagoner. I don't jump when Marvel says how high like some others here do. Third, stay off of reading my comments. I can say whatever I feel, as can you, if YOU don't like it, that's why there's an ignore list. Of which you're now a part of. Bye!
    Last edited by ThunderingHammer; 10-01-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Alright everyone, I understand that not everyone appreciates these changes being made in the comic but let's not deride other fan bases nor take pot shots at each other.

BANNED

Ahh yes the writers acting like they have always hated the main character from Dan Slott, Matt Fraction, Bendis and so on to rile up fan bases. Never was a fan of this kind of gimmick style advertising. It just makes it seem like they want a pointless fight with fans. No thanks I'll pass when Thor returns as for the new comers telling me to shove off, well the same will happen to you when your favorites are cast out like yesterdays leftovers. So watch yourself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Ahh yes the writers acting like they have always hated the main character from Dan Slott, Matt Fraction, Bendis and so on to rile up fan bases. Never was a fan of this kind of gimmick style advertising. It just makes it seem like they want a pointless fight with fans. No thanks I'll pass when Thor returns as for the new comers telling me to shove off, well the same will happen to you when your favorites are cast out like yesterdays leftovers. So watch yourself.

Thank you! All I'm trying to do is express my feeling. I had long back and forth conversations with people opposite of my view and none told me what to do. I'm peaceful but don't start anything with me either because I notice tendencies and I'll hit where it hurts. Especially not giving me orders.

I'm looking forward to this but the only thing I wonder about is when Thor's identity is revealed will we lose that not so great helmet (looks like an egg with wings)