Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Just left my lcs and read Wonder Woman #34 in the store in less than 5 minutes, started to buy it for the sake of posterity, but put it back on principle. Why buy something you know you don't like? What I did buy was Thor #1 and I loved every thing about it!

That's a hero, Thor was at the lowest point I can ever recall seeing him. But he didn't give up, he didn't give in because his hammer didn't work. He didn't throw himself a pity party or trick someone into helping him. He went and got his magic sword, his flying goat and went right back to being the Thor we know and love. Unsuccessfully. What the book succeeded at however was making me emotionally invested, because it contained characters that were likeable, in a story that was epic, without seeming to try too hard. There were no puns, no tricks, no gimmicks (besides a female Thor) and I read it slowly to savor the nuances. It wasn't cloyingly self aware or full itself, it was just a good mythology based straight forward and action packed story. There was no ambiguity or pretentiousness, only enjoyment and a feeling that I got my money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Just left my lcs and read Wonder Woman #34 in the store in less than 5 minutes, started to buy it for the sake of posterity, but put it back on principle. Why buy something you know you don't like? What I did buy was Thor #1 and I loved every thing about it!

That's a hero, Thor was at the lowest point I can ever recall seeing him. But he didn't give up, he didn't give in because his hammer didn't work. He didn't throw himself a pity party or trick someone into helping him. He went and got his magic sword, his flying goat and went right back to being the Thor we know and love. Unsuccessfully. What the book succeeded at however was making me emotionally invested, because it contained characters that were likeable, in a story that was epic, without seeming to try too hard. There were no puns, no tricks, no gimmicks (besides a female Thor) and I read it slowly to savor the nuances. It wasn't cloyingly self aware or full itself, it was just a good mythology based straight forward and action packed story. There was no ambiguity or pretentiousness, only enjoyment and a feeling that I got my money's worth.
    That aspect of Thor goes back at least to Walt Simonson where Hela had cursed Thor to have brittle bones, in which response Thor had forged a magical unbreakable suit of armor, armor that could withstand Pluto's attempts to break it in Hades.

Overall, I enjoyed this well enough. The art was fantastic, I really like the return of Odin, and the power struggle/dynamic between Odin and Freyja was really well done. I also continue to enjoy Aaron's writing of Malekith.

That said, it was really disappointing that the new Goddess of Thunder only appeared in the final two pages. It left this feeling more like a zero issue and than a #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post

It's a comic book, not a bad date with a douchebag.

Thor was at his lowest point? Look up his time as a disabled human being who would have died a mortal death if he hadn't learned charity and humility. Or when he was so feeble his bones couldn't support his weight so he basically work an exoskeleton of armour. Or when he had to battle the Demogorge to get back to the mortal plane while an impostor had reality warped him out of existing memory.

So... when do we actually find out who this new Thor is? Pages upon pages of discussion and speculation over various threads is nice and all, but i'd kind of like to finally know. No matter who it is, it's going to be a disappointment as it's been built up so much now.

Is the reveal happening next issue or nah?
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-02-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Ultimate Member

It's already been confirmed that we won't find out for awhile. Marvel is essentially making her identity a big mystery, with lots of red herrings. I personally find that to be really lame, and pointless. There are already enough people who are skeptical/hostile to this premise as it is. Pointlessly dragging out the reveal isn't doing anything to help sell people on this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    It's already been confirmed that we won't find out for awhile. Marvel is essentially making her identity a big mystery, with lots of red herrings. I personally find that to be really lame, and pointless. There are already enough people who are skeptical/hostile to this premise as it is. Pointlessly dragging out the reveal isn't doing anything to help sell people on this idea.
    Oh great! Because that worked out so well in Original Sin...

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    So... when do we actually find out who this new Thor is? Pages upon pages of discussion and speculation over various threads is nice and all, but i'd kind of like to finally know. No matter who it is, it's going to be a disappointment as it's been built up so much now.

Is the reveal happening next issue or nah?
    Aaron said issue #10.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    It's always there on one side. Always. So you're incorrect. It's not shown in every single panel but it has usually appeared like this

and when held towards the ground like this.

So it's not nitpicking, there is historical precedent in previous depictions that show the text doesn't tilt like an iPhone image.
    There are a million panels where it is unseen. We've seen the script appear there as if by magic in the past. This issue shows an addition to the inscription. So obviously it can change. There's precedent for all of that, too.

However, my initial comment was really more of a joke about the capabilities of magic when someone asked if we could no prize the inscription flipping. I think it's a very minor point that doesn't really impact the story in any way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    It's a comic book, not a bad date with a douchebag.

Thor was at his lowest point? Look up his time as a disabled human being who would have died a mortal death if he hadn't learned charity and humility. Or when he was so feeble his bones couldn't support his weight so he basically work an exoskeleton of armour. Or when he had to battle the Demogorge to get back to the mortal plane while an impostor had reality warped him out of existing memory.
    I said "Thor was at the lowest point I can ever recall seeing him" not what you could recall seeing. As far as d-bags go, I have no frame of reference. But Thor is not worthy because he doesn't have ovaries and I think Freyja totally had something to do with it.

All-New Member

I'm willing to give this story a chance three reasons:

1. I think this was Aaron's idea and not Marvels. And if that's the case then this wasn't a media ploy the heads at Marvel just saw Aaron's idea and realized what it could be.

2. The mystery should hold our attention for some time.

3. As long as they keep the actual Thor part of the story this could be a good overall journey for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    - Frost Giants attack an underwater Roxxon Base
    - Cut to Thor on the moon in the previews.
    - Odin is being Odin and arguing with Freyja. Freyja wants him to coddle him in Odin's words. Odin doesn't coddle
    - Apparently everyone has tried to lift the hammer. They state maybe something is wrong with the hammer and since Odin enchanted it, he can pick it up.
    - Odin cannot lift the hammer. Odin is pissed. His ravens came and tell him frost giants have attacked Midgard
    - Odin states it is time to return to Asgardia. Freyja states it is time to head to Midgard.
    - Odin and Freyja have words. Odin basically states he is back and in charge and the time of the All Mothers has ended.
    - Thor runs off to the Hall of Weapons. Freyja is concerned for him as thor is in no state to fight. Odin tells Freyja to remember her place... Freyja looks at the Hammer curiously
    - Malekith is behind the Jotun attack and is demanding to know where something is.
    - Thor shows up with his Axe. Malekith makes fun of his lack of hammer and basically kicks Thor's ass.
    - Malekith then cuts off Thors hand and leaves him for dead

REVIEW

- Welp, that is how Thor loses his hand.
    - Good to see the return of dick head Odin. He has been missed.
    - They are really really hinting Freyja will be the new Thor and lift the hammer.

Color me intrigued.
    My guess it is Sif because Sif had golden hair before Loki pranked her and made her a brunette. I am assuming the Odin power restores Sif to her original pre Loki appearance hair wise. She also seens to be connected to Thor in an intimate/loyal way in her statement as she lifts the hammer.

Calling it now...Fury whispered "No man is worthy of Mjolnir." or something similar...that would explain why no male asgardian could pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by lcg16 View Post
    Aaron mentioned the first few issues would have some false trails. Maybe the Freya one is, maybe it isn't.

He does rule out Sif though. And apparently, most, if not all the more warlike Asgardians as well.

Also, the whole solo moon approach suggests whoever did get the hammer could already breathe in space. =S

And, yes, there's very little of Thor 2.0 in this version, btw, heh. And I swear, she's a little too scrawny. And yeah, Odin is a complete ass.
    I am thinking it is Sif - golden hair restored.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Calling it now...Fury whispered "No man is worthy of Mjolnir." or something similar...that would explain why no male asgardian could pick it up.
    Yeah, but Thor is a god, he's not a man.

I'm digging the Sif with her original hair theory though. That makes a lot of sense.