Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Don't get the inscription wording debate. I would have guessed it wasn't originally written in modern english, and therefore it's perectlyr easonable to think it was written with a gender-neutral pronoun, since plenty of languages have a neutral he/she word. Moreover, is the inscirption even the 'fact of the matter' of the spell or whatever, or is it just a nice, helpful description of the spell's effect? In other words, when the odinforce went in, is that the actual spell that was put in, or was it added as an fyi?

Regardless, seems that Mjolnir has evolved a bit. Odinforce magic in there's gone sour and out of the control of the allfather. Good times.

IH
    Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    The "he" fact is easily explained. When Thor was created the idea of female super hero (a female thor especially) was unthinkable, so the hammer said he. Being Thor a fictional character, Mjolnir a fictional hammer and Odin a fictional god, anything that they say or do is written by humans, in that case Stan Lee, that obviously hadn't the power to foresee the evolutions of society fifty years in the future or think staying gender neutral would have helped in the far future to respond to the critics of anal retentive fans. In addition to that, I think it's never been stated in the fictional stories that the hammer is a male exclusive, am I wrong?
    Whether the hammer is not male exclusive is not the issue. It was whether it was a gender based statement written on the hammer.

And I don't know if the hammer is male exclusive, but apparently not, and as we've seen in Fear Itself, other females have held hammers before like Titania and Skadi, so a female Thor is not going to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by themortalfist View Post
    You forgot that Steve Rogers no longer has the super-serum formula in him. Hulk has extremis. And something is going to happen to Tony Stark. But yeah! The MU is sort of topsy-turvy -- and not exactly making a lot of sense. But we've got 8 months to see what happens. (And at $3.99 a book, I'll be dropping titles really fast if this starts collapsing on itself like a house of cards.)
    I can attribute it to Original Sin of what changed, (but not Cap), so OS had a big effect on the MU, surprisingly.

Has anybody else noticed the letting? I see those Kabooms and it doesn't have as much impact as previous letterers. Why is the lettering so thin and not as bold as normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Guac View Post
    Don't get the inscription wording debate. I would have guessed it wasn't originally written in modern english, and therefore it's perectlyr easonable to think it was written with a gender-neutral pronoun, since plenty of languages have a neutral he/she word. Moreover, is the inscirption even the 'fact of the matter' of the spell or whatever, or is it just a nice, helpful description of the spell's effect? In other words, when the odinforce went in, is that the actual spell that was put in, or was it added as an fyi?

Regardless, seems that Mjolnir has evolved a bit. Odinforce magic in there's gone sour and out of the control of the allfather. Good times.
    As much as Odin seems to be the architect of the whole 10 worlds, he does seem to leave a lot of the power in the hands of a lot of other characters. That may be intentional on Odins part, because he may like the unpredictability of life. So he lets people like Karnilla and the Enchantress and now Malekitt have this sort of mischievous power, as well as, the 10th Worlds disobedience, Heven. I find it odd that Odin created the 10 worlds like this, and wonder at the morality Odin is reaching for here. Odin keeps harping about Thor's ineligibility to be an Allfather, and keeps pushing Thor in directions that are supposed to help him complete his journey to attain worthiness, but, Odin also has plans for all the other denizens of the 10 worlds as well, yet, some are so curious it becomes too unfathomable. Like, why create someone like Surtur, or the Angels, or Frost Giants? What are their purpose? Are they just counters and reciprocals to the make the gods quest against them to become more heroic? Sometimes it just seems like folly, because all the gods do is have endless cycles of the same conflicts. Much like Midgard and the super hero/villain conflicts.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-03-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    The "he" fact is easily explained. When Thor was created the idea of female super hero (a female thor especially) was unthinkable, so the hammer said he. Being Thor a fictional character, Mjolnir a fictional hammer and Odin a fictional god, anything that they say or do is written by humans, in that case Stan Lee, that obviously hadn't the power to foresee the evolutions of society fifty years in the future or think staying gender neutral would have helped in the far future to respond to the critics of anal retentive fans. In addition to that, I think it's never been stated in the fictional stories that the hammer is a male exclusive, am I wrong?
    All true. This is a very interesting counterpoint to the bizzare off-topic conversation regarding the history of the word "he" and Norse language. The fact is, lead female power-houses are still not the norm, and they were even less common when Thor as a comic book character was developed. To deny this as a reasoning behind the inscription is short-sighted and wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You'd think after all this time Odin would have developed some intelligence.
    Oh, I think Odin does love and appreciate his very, very understanding family...he just appreciates them when they're not around, or he tells them to never repeat any of what he says when he does tell them.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    All true. This is a very interesting counterpoint to the bizzare off-topic conversation regarding the history of the word "he" and Norse language. The fact is, lead female power-houses are still not the norm, and they were even less common when Thor as a comic book character was developed. To deny this as a reasoning behind the inscription is short-sighted and wrong.
    Oh, I think Odin does love and appreciate his very, very understanding family...he just appreciates them when they're not around, or he tells them to never repeat any of what he says when he does tell them.
    I think Odin is one of those individuals who love and adore his family when they do exactly what he tells them to do. Otherwise he tries to get his way by threats and violence. He's almost an abuser. It's interesting to see, now that Freya has been without him and run Asgard for awhile, (and better, objectively than Thor or Balder managed) that she's becoming more than a paper thin "mother" character, and is standing up to him. I wonder what she's up to?

I think she was dead right on the whole not letting worthiness be determined by an enchanted weapon business.

image.jpg

All in all, I really enjoyed this issue. The power struggle between Odin and Freya is juicy, and I want to see Thor being a hero without his hammer. The writing was good Aaron and not bad, zany, whimsy out of control, Aaron.

Gorgeous art. Dautermann uses unexpected angles and perspectives, catches emotions, does action really well, and conveys emotion. His panels are beautiful to look at. I like how his Thor isn't a completely muscle bound freak, but is a little bit more athletic than usual. His faces are great. He seems like that rare beast: the complete comic artist. I suspect he could even draw funny. (I have to agree with an earlier poster who said how lucky we've been with Thor artists: Coipel for ages, Ribic, and now Dautermann.). My only reservation was that the colouring was a bit lurid for my taste. I would have toned it down a little.

A writing criticism was that the new Thor felt a bit like an afterthought. We don't know who she is, or what she stands for, so my reaction to her picking up the hammer was a bit disinterested. Freya was the most epic female in the issue for me. Hopefully that'll change when the new one gets more fleshed out. (Any possibility Freya's the new Thor and is manipulating things to keep Odin out of power and make Thor stand on his own feet?)

I'm all for seeing what happens to the unworthy Thor, and how he gets his hammer mojo back. And I think there's the potential for great storytelling by intertwining that story with that of whoever's the female character who's picked up the hammer. I can't seem to call her Thor yet, because Thor's Thor to me. Anyway issue 1 did what it should and picked me up for the journey. 4/5 stars for writing, and 5/5 for the art, which was a pleasure from start to finish.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 10-03-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    I think Odin is one of those individuals who love and adore his family when they do exactly what he tells them to do. Otherwise he tries to get his way by threats and violence. He's almost an abuser. It's interesting to see, now that Freya has been without him and run Asgard for awhile, (and better, objectively than Thor or Balder managed) that she's becoming more than a paper thin "mother" character, and is standing up to him. I wonder what she's up to?

I think she was dead right on the whole not letting worthiness be determined by an enchanted weapon business.

image.jpg

All in all, I really enjoyed this issue. The power struggle between Odin and Freya is juicy, and I want to see Thor being a hero without his hammer. The writing was good Aaron and not bad, zany, whimsy out of control, Aaron.

Gorgeous art. Dautermann uses unexpected angles and perspectives, catches emotions, does action really well, and conveys emotion. His panels are beautiful to look at. I like how his Thor isn't a completely muscle bound freak, but is a little bit more athletic than usual. His faces are great. He seems like that rare beast: the complete comic artist. I suspect he could even draw funny. (I have to agree with an earlier poster who said how lucky we've been with Thor artists: Coipel for ages, Ribic, and now Dautermann.). My only reservation was that the colouring was a bit lurid for my taste. I would have toned it down a little.

A writing criticism was that the new Thor felt a bit like an afterthought. We don't know who she is, or what she stands for, so my reaction to her picking up the hammer was a bit disinterested. Freya was the most epic female in the issue for me. Hopefully that'll change when the new one gets more fleshed out. (Any possibility Freya's the new Thor and is manipulating things to keep Odin out of power and make Thor stand on his own feet?)

I'm all for seeing what happens to the unworthy Thor, and how he gets his hammer mojo back. And I think there's the potential for great storytelling by intertwining that story with that whoever the female character who's picked up the hammer. I can't seem to call her Thor yet, because Thor's Thor to me. Anyway issue 1 did what it should and picked me up for the journey. 4/5 stars for writing, and 5/5 for the art, which was a pleasure from start to finish.
    Excellent review.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I can attribute it to Original Sin of what changed, (but not Cap), so OS had a big effect on the MU, surprisingly.
    I liked Original Sin Well, the last issue anyways. Fury does deserve it >
    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    As much as Odin seems to be the architect of the whole 10 worlds, he does seem to leave a lot of the power in the hands of a lot of other characters. That may be intentional on Odins part, because he may like the unpredictability of life. So he lets people like Karnilla and the Enchantress and now Malekitt have this sort of mischievous power, as well as, the 10th Worlds disobedience, Heven. I find it odd that Odin created the 10 worlds like this, and wonder at the morality Odin is reaching for here. Odin keeps harping about Thor's ineligibility to be an Allfather, and keeps pushing Thor in directions that are supposed to help him complete his journey to attain worthiness, but, Odin also has plans for all the other denizens of the 10 worlds as well, yet, some are so curious it becomes too unfathomable. Like, why create someone like Surtur, or the Angels, or Frost Giants? What are their purpose? Are they just counters and reciprocals to the make the gods quest against them to become more heroic? Sometimes it just seems like folly, because all the gods do is have endless cycles of the same conflicts. Much like Midgard and the super hero/villain conflicts.
    I feel as though some of it comes to his own arrogance. He's a warrior, and he wants enemies to fight. And ultimately, you do need conflict for your story to advance. If not, then Asgard would stagnant.

Ultimate Member

Seriously, is there any explanation for why Freyja has gone from looking like this:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2..._Vol_1_7.2.png

To looking like she does in this book. It seems like the artists went out of his way to make her look less powerful/imposing?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Seriously, is there any explanation for why Freyja has gone from looking like this:

To looking like she does in this book. It seems like the artists went out of his way to make her look less powerful/imposing?
    Because 2 / 3 of the All Mother are now gone? I had the impression the All Mother as a unit was regarded as somewhat greater than the parts as all of Asgard at Thor's funeral bowed down before them in reverence, well, before Karnilla cast the spell to replace Thor by Tanarus.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

Less powerful for sure. (She's about 4 feet smaller than previously). Maybe now that Odin's around whatever force was making her enormous is diminished in some way? She, Idunn and Gaia completely changed stature when they started All-Mothering.

I've never found her as interesting before though. Perhaps she's less powerful, and more empowered.
    Freyja's been on a gradual character journey since Thor was relaunched by JMS, where she was portrayed as a sex object out to catch Odin's interest however she could, who he married after he knocked her up. (Definitely out of step compared to previously. I liked lots of things about that run, but there's real problems with how some of the female characters were portrayed.)

image.jpg

Which was retconned very quickly by the next writer along, (Fraction? I'm not sure) who made her the youthful Vanir princess given in an arranged marriage to maintain peace between Aesir and Vanir. She was basically portrayed as having made the best of a difficult situation and finding some sort of love with a difficult, controlling, philandering husband. Then he was shuffled off to limbo with Surtur, and she took control of Asgard, and ruled it pretty well.
    It's a character journey that's mostly been told in the corners of other people's' stories, and I'm glad to see her more at the centre of the story for a change. Odin being back is very interesting, because we get to see if she's grown. Also, if he can too.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 10-04-2014 at 06:39 AM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Less powerful for sure. (She's about 4 feet smaller than previously). Maybe now that Odin's around whatever force was making her enormous is diminished in some way? She, Idunn and Gaia completely changed stature when they started All-Mothering.

I've never found her as interesting before though. Perhaps she's less powerful, and more empowered.
    Freyja's been on a gradual character journey since Thor was relaunched by JMS, where she was portrayed as a sex object out to catch Odin's interest however she could, who he married after he knocked her up. (Definitely out of step compared to previously. I liked lots of things about that run, but there's real problems with how all the female characters were portrayed.)

image.jpg

Which was retconned very quickly by the next writer along, (Fraction? I'm not sure) who made her the youthful Vanir princess given in an arranged marriage to maintain peace between Aesir and Vanir. She was basically portrayed as having made the best of a difficult situation and finding some sort of love with a difficult, controlling, philandering husband. Then he was shuffled off to limbo with Surtur, and she took control of Asgard, and ruled it pretty well.
    It's a character journey that's mostly been told in the corners of other people's' stories, and I'm glad to see her more at the centre of the story for a change. Odin being back is very interesting, because we get to see if she's grown. Also, if he can too.
    Wow...yeah...well, it's interesting to see JMS run's portrayal of women compared to what Aaron is doing.

God bless you, Jason Aaron!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Wow...yeah...well, it's interesting to see JMS run's portrayal of women compared to what Aaron is doing.

God bless you, Jason Aaron!
    Trying to come up with some sort of coherent storyline for most of Marvel's Thor's family makes my head hurt. Take Thor's grandfather Bor who apparently died of old age and at least had an intact body in Matt Fraction's mythology. In support of this Cul takes over the throne and Cul is still part of the story in Aaron's run. But no, Bor was killed by magic in a battle and his body blown away in the snow, only to be resurrected in JMS's run by Loki's magic only to be killed again, this time by Thor. Then Gillen shows Bor residing in Hela's realm where he can reverse the curse he put on his Desir. So why was Thor ostracized for killing Bor when apparently someone with Hela's permission could go down and chat with him in her realm ...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Trying to come up with some sort of coherent storyline for most of Marvel's Thor's family makes my head hurt. Take Thor's grandfather Bor who apparently died of old age and at least had an intact body in Matt Fraction's mythology. In support of this Cul takes over the throne and Cul is still part of the story in Aaron's run. But no, Bor was killed by magic in a battle and his body blown away in the snow, only to be resurrected in JMS's run by Loki's magic only to be killed again, this time by Thor. Then Gillen shows Bor residing in Hela's realm where he can reverse the curse he put on his Desir. So why was Thor ostracized for killing Bor when apparently someone with Hela's permission could go down and chat with him in her realm ...
    When it doubt, I blame Celestrials, or when that doesn't work, Ragnarok, and then Franklin Richards, then back to Celestrials.

And then I go to subcategories! Loki, God, more Franklin Richards...um...and usually a few Ragnaroks get thrown in there.