Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Big enough deal to throw on a Marvel NOW publicity poster...not big enough to show in a panel.
    Maybe they were trying to be less graphic, so that this issue would be more "suitable" for a broader audience?

I haven't read it yet, but I'd assume so. Not that I agree, buut they do what they gonna do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by celeherald View Post
    Uh, what does this even mean?
    Being the All-Mother, and knowing Odin's temper tantrum moments, Freya changes the inscriptions of the Hammer so that someone worthy and female could lift it.

Sif couldn't do the deed, given her own tomboyish nature in fighting, and how closely she is to Thor.

Odin set the enchantment, yet he now can't lift it and didn't try revoke it?

Seriously?

Amazing Member

I think she's being legit in saying that the hammer has become the deciding factor in worthiness. Which is good, as its clearly meant to be 'worthy' as represented by Blake but such worthiness would be discounted by Odin who made the enchantment.

Sif is a woman in sex and gender. Nothing she does is manly, that is just a social construct. Women fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Superchick View Post
    I think she's being legit in saying that the hammer has become the deciding factor in worthiness. Which is good, as its clearly meant to be 'worthy' as represented by Blake but such worthiness would be discounted by Odin who made the enchantment.

Sif is a woman in sex and gender. Nothing she does is manly, that is just a social construct. Women fight.
    The hammer is not sentient. It's enchanted based on parameters Odin set out when he cast Thor out of Asgard and those parameters including being male, a worthy and honourable warror, a humble, charitable man without selfishness or foolish pride who will fight for what is right and honour his father's expectations of what he felt Thor could and should be. Mjolnir is an object, it doesn't get to change it's mind and the only person that should be able to alter the enchantment is the one that set it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    Odin set the enchantment, yet he now can't lift it and didn't try revoke it?

Seriously?
    If he's not worthy, why would he be able to lift it? Assumedly the enchantment is in place for a reason and it doesn't "shut down" just because.

Great issue. Definitely a continuation of GOT and not a jettisoning of what came before. Glad so much time was given to Odison's struggle. Didn't think the severing of the arm off panel was odd. It's very clear what happens and to make it anymore graphic than it needed to be might've been a mistake. It's not as though he goes into battle and comes back without an arm. We see exactly when and how it happened so there's no confusion or unanswered questions. It'll be interesting to see how the mystery of the new Thor plays out and I love the conflict that Aaron has set up between Odin and the All-Mother. Very appropriate material to explore given the new Thor's gender. It's probably too obvious at this point to say that All-Mother is behind the creation of the new Thor but we'll see how things pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If he's not worthy, why would he be able to lift it? Assumedly the enchantment is in place for a reason and it doesn't "shut down" just because.
    I don't think Odin has ever been "worthy" of the hammer as the inscription states but he has always been able to recall it as needed.... bc he put hte enchantment on it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If he's not worthy, why would he be able to lift it? Assumedly the enchantment is in place for a reason
    The reason being Odin wanted to teach Thor a valuable lesson. Not because he didn't want to be able to lift one of his own hammers anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't think Odin has ever been "worthy" of the hammer as the inscription states but he has always been able to recall it as needed.... bc he put hte enchantment on it.
    Then clearly something else may be up with the hammer or perhaps with Odin himself. So many readers want all the answers to a story up front. I'm pretty sure that Aaron has anticipated much of the questions around what's possible and why this and that could or couldn't happen. When you're dealing with things like magic and enchantment, there's a lot of leeway for explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    The hammer is not sentient. It's enchanted based on parameters Odin set out when he cast Thor out of Asgard and those parameters including being male, a worthy and honourable warror, a humble, charitable man without selfishness or foolish pride who will fight for what is right and honour his father's expectations of what he felt Thor could and should be. Mjolnir is an object, it doesn't get to change it's mind and the only person that should be able to alter the enchantment is the one that set it.
    Don't forget, it's already been altered when the hammer was repaired with Dr. Strange's help, incorporating a portion of Thor's life force and the Thorforce he possessed at the time into it, such that if the hammer were to be destroyed, so would Thor die. In a sense, he's now unable to pick up not just a weapon, but a part of himself.

Of course, that tends to argue against the idea of the hammer 'deciding' the person who's now a part of it isn't worthy to wield it. On the other hand, it might make it more plausible for a new wielder (regardless of gender or other factors) to take on some degree of the very identity of Thor rather than just the usual power set, since they'd be holding and in a sense merged with a portion of the original's soul.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Don't forget, it's already been altered when the hammer was repaired with Dr. Strange's help, incorporating a portion of Thor's life force and the Thorforce he possessed at the time into it, such that if the hammer were to be destroyed, so would Thor die. In a sense, he's now unable to pick up not just a weapon, but a part of himself.
    Excellent points. Forgot about those moments... but they would explain why Mjolnir no longer answers to Odin, either.

On a tangent, would Beta Ray Bill still be worthy?

I was a little unsure about this as I didn't really like the second half of Aaron's God of Thunder run or his work in Original Sin, but he sure got his groove back with this relaunch. And Russel Dauterman is a delight.

I really like the idea of Frigga (she is not Feryja, Marvel!) potentially being behind the new Thor, and I stand by my hunch that it is actually Jane Foster. Last we saw her she was leaving with the All-Mother, and it would make the most sense given the path that she was set upon. We'll see.

Quite a pleasant surprise, but I still don't like Thor losing his arm. Just feels... unnecessary. And please, enough with the robot arms already.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    but I still don't like Thor losing his arm. Just feels... unnecessary. And please, enough with the robot arms already.
    on top of everything. this is like pouring salt in the wound
    Cyclops was right

Thor is THE SADDEST. PUPPY. IN THE UNIVERSE. that is so funny...

Mighty Member

ur just mean
    Cyclops was right