Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    Odin set the enchantment, yet he now can't lift it and didn't try revoke it?

Seriously?
    Maybe someone else has meddled with the enchantment? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Maybe someone else has meddled with the enchantment? Just a thought.
    I get that is likely but normally spells and enchantments can only be broken by the person who cast them or by a more powerful and skilled being. Part of the the enchantment is that it is literally set in stone... or Uru as the case may be... and I realise they are changing that for the sake of the story but it's basically undoing 50 years of continuity.

Could Surtur do it?

He reforged Mjolnir at one time

If Surtur is part of Malekith's league of realms that would allow them to weaken Thor like this

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Don't forget, it's already been altered when the hammer was repaired with Dr. Strange's help, incorporating a portion of Thor's life force and the Thorforce he possessed at the time into it, such that if the hammer were to be destroyed, so would Thor die. In a sense, he's now unable to pick up not just a weapon, but a part of himself.

Of course, that tends to argue against the idea of the hammer 'deciding' the person who's now a part of it isn't worthy to wield it. On the other hand, it might make it more plausible for a new wielder (regardless of gender or other factors) to take on some degree of the very identity of Thor rather than just the usual power set, since they'd be holding and in a sense merged with a portion of the original's soul.
    Well he's lost two parts of himself now, part of his life force in the hammer and his hand. So he's not worthy of living now if the hammer doesn't want to be held by him now? If Female Thor ends up with the hammer getting destroyed, does male Thor drop dead? Do they both drop dead? Is he now missing a part of his soul like Dr Strange having absorbed the demon in the New Avengers Annual?

Beta Ray Bill and Captain America should still be worthy, he can still lift Stormbringer which has a similar enchantment. I mentioned in the other thread that I wonder how this affects mini Mjolnir that Puddlegulp as Throg wields and the Kevin Masterson incarnation of Thunderstrike.

I get that is likely but normally spells and enchantments can only be broken by the person who cast them or by a more powerful and skilled being. Part of the the enchantment is that it is literally set in stone... or Uru as the case may be... and I realise they are changing that for the sake of the story but it's basically undoing 50 years of continuity.
    Check up thread. We have indeed seen Mjolnir shattered and repaired, its enchantments altered in certain ways, in recent years. It's not a question of whether it can happen or not, but if that's the only time that it's happened.

Check up thread. We have indeed seen Mjolnir shattered and repaired, its enchantments altered in certain ways, in recent years. It's not a question of whether it can happen or not, but if that's the only time that it's happened.
    Well the Sorceror Supreme of this dimension should be able to, that's kind of his appointed role. If they wanted to explore this, couldn't they have had someone reforge Stormcaster, the hammer Loki had made that Storm had if it's a case of needing a Mjolnir clone for a woman to wield? Maybe Titania's hammer from when she was one of The Worthy?

Well he's lost two parts of himself now, part of his life force in the hammer and his hand. So he's not worthy of living now if the hammer doesn't want to be held by him now? If Female Thor ends up with the hammer getting destroyed, does male Thor drop dead? Do they both drop dead? Is he now missing a part of his soul like Dr Strange having absorbed the demon in the New Avengers Annual?
    I don't think it means he's not worthy of living, but just that he's not worthy of that part of himself, and is essentially incomplete even before losing the arm. Although I still have no idea what knowledge could have been imparted to make him unworthy, without him already being unworthy beforehand.

So, if the hammer were to be destroyed now, I'd imagine that only the original Thor would still drop dead, although the new one would more than likely lose both the powers and the parts of Thor's identity she's taken on. A more interesting question would be what would happen if the original Thor Odinson died separately at this point... would the hammer function kind of like a Horcrux? Is even the new Thor's personality more like that of the original Thor than that of the person who picks up the hammer?

And yes, all those who have been shown worthy may well still be worthy... especially those who have lifted it since the hammer was repaired with Strange's help - unless there's been a new change to the enchantment made more recently, perhaps by an interpretation of Freyja/Frigga who is actually more adroit with enchantments than her husband. Maybe the new inscription is controlling and only female heroes can be found worthy at the moment.

Well the Sorceror Supreme of this dimension should be able to, that's kind of his appointed role. If they wanted to explore this, couldn't they have had someone reforge Stormcaster, the hammer Loki had made that Storm had if it's a case of needing a Mjolnir clone for a woman to wield? Maybe Titania's hammer from when she was one of The Worthy?
    In addition to not having any question about whether, in terms of wielding the hammer and being the thunder god, the new Thor was basically THE Thor for the moment (to the extent that they earlier suggested the original wouldn't even be using his birth name any longer), I think they want to explore what it means for the original Thor to be unworthy and not have access to that part of himself... and I think we could regard the hammer as a part of Thor in a metaphorical sense even before Strange's additions to the enchantment.

Ultimate Member

So douche Odin is back, oh joy. And here I was thinking that the end of the Tenth Realm had actually progressed him, ugh.

I enjoyed this first issue.
    A few laugh out loud moments, all courteous of the All Father Odin

Wow, they really twisted the knife in Thor here. Took his hammer, took his arm, took his name, and even took his dignity. Pretty rough.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-01-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Haven't gotten out to get the issue yet, does the All-Mother in fact turn the throne back over to Odin, or is it still an open question?

Personally, I'd say he abandoned his throne, she succeeded him, and the political structure has now changed sufficiently that it should be down to a referendum in the Parliament of Worlds, or at the very least within Asgardia proper if it's just a question of who rules Asgardia rather than (putatively) all the Nine Worlds. In either of which Freyja/Frigga may very well have a great chance of keeping her throne, unless Volstagg takes it in a surprise landslide by virtue of so many of the voters being his kids.

This book....just wow.

Odin not being able to lift Mjolnir is honestly one of the dumbest moments in recent history. It makes absolutely no sense, he enchanted the hammer and has absolute control over it as shown as recently as Fear Itself.

I know he's depressed and doesn't have Mjolnir but why is he suddenly useless and so much weaker? How are any Frost Giants able to restrain him? How is Malekith able to just cut his arm off?

This doesn't even make any sense in the context of Jason's own run, heck Thor's already beat up Malekith without Mjolnir under his pen. I know that his Thor has shown that his dials go from 1 to 11 depending on his mentality but even Young Thor was far more effective.

And we lost the God of Thunder series for this? Thor beaten and humiliated just to introduce a new character?

People wonder why so many long time fans were pissed about this change. It has nothing to do with the new God of Thunder being female. Conan could have picked up the hammer and all the complaints would remain.

One of the best runs on the character is canceled and he gets sidelined in his own book. He loses his hammer because of a whisper (Which still makes no sense as Mjolnir does not define worthiness on what you think about yourself). Now he's apparently depressed and useless and loses his arm. Heck, this new character even steals his name.....

Man, I want to be optimistic but anyone who thinks long time fans don't have a reason to be really upset about this need to imagine such changes applying to their favorite. I hope the sales on this tank and it crashes and burns. I'm not against new things and changes, but I am against poorly planned plots because of PC attention or whatever.

Oh yea, let's not forget them introducing Angela, who is apparently the rightful heir to the throne (Which completely demeans one of the largest parts of Thor's origins) and beats him up. I've always wanted women to have a bigger role in large more mainstream titles...until now.
    Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus; 10-01-2014 at 11:24 AM.

I don't think it means he's not worthy of living, but just that he's not worthy of that part of himself, and is essentially incomplete even before losing the arm. Although I still have no idea what knowledge could have been imparted to make him unworthy, without him already being unworthy beforehand.

So, if the hammer were to be destroyed now, I'd imagine that only the original Thor would still drop dead, although the new one would more than likely lose both the powers and the parts of Thor's identity she's taken on. A more interesting question would be what would happen if the original Thor Odinson died separately at this point... would the hammer function kind of like a Horcrux? Is even the new Thor's personality more like that of the original Thor than that of the person who picks up the hammer?

And yes, all those who have been shown worthy may well still be worthy... especially those who have lifted it since the hammer was repaired with Strange's help - unless there's been a new change to the enchantment made more recently, perhaps by an interpretation of Freyja/Frigga who is actually more adroit with enchantments than her husband. Maybe the new inscription is controlling and only female heroes can be found worthy at the moment.
    Sif not being able to lift it before the inscription changed makes sense because the enchantment was gender specific. Odin not being able to lift it doesn't make sense since it doesn't matter if he's worthy of lifting it, the enchantment was bestowed by him and so he's excluded from the limitations because he commands the parameters of it.

As you rightly pointed out, a whisper in his ear shouldn't matter in regards to Mjolnir, Thor is still Thor and Mjolnir is still linked to his life force. A crisis of confidence shouldn't cause Mjolnir to stop abiding by it's enchantment parameters unless he's been sleepwalking and acting like a total douchebag without knowing it but even then as soon as he stopped being worthy it should have dropped from his hand, whether he knew why or not, not after a whisper from Nick Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Like that "Stand aside, boy." panel?

Well, many fans did want Odin to pick up the hammer and remove the enchantment, so it was nice to see it addressed. A little extraneous buffoonish humor was just a bonus extra touch. I foresee many more such moments in his coming interactions with Frigga/Freyja.