Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Except that he hasn't actually been unworthy to wield the hammer since Don Blake picked up that walking stick, except in flashbacks to young Thor. Shoot, he was even worthy at the time that Odin bound him to Donald Blake to teach him humility, so a lack of humility was apparently not a disqualification.
    Well I thought the whole premise was Donald Blake was worthy, Thor wasn't, but being bound to one who was worthy was the only way Thor could hold Mjolnir. As for your horcrux idea, I think since Thor could only exist on Earth initially after Blake found the cane and struck it on the ground to release him, I think that Mjolnir does have that quality historically.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    Attachment 10721

My contender for the dumbest moment of 2014 so far.
    It's not that bad. Odin doesn't like it when things he controls go awry.

As for the Hammer, it has parts of Thor's soul in it. It could be that it has attained sentience in a way it didn't show before.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Why doesn't Odin just make Thor another hammer?
    He didn't make it, Eitri of the dwarves had it made for Odin and Odin then gave it to Thor. However having seized all of the hammers of The Worthy, he should have enough Uru for a new one to be forged and then be able to place the same enchantment on the new one.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    Well I thought the whole premise was Donald Blake was worthy, Thor wasn't, but being bound to one who was worthy was the only way Thor could hold Mjolnir. As for your horcrux idea, I think since Thor could only exist on Earth initially after Blake found the cane and struck it on the ground to release him, I think that Mjolnir does have that quality historically.
    Dear me they have messed up Thor long before this. This is what people are whining about? People can't even work out Donald Blake properly!

Thor is cast out of Asgard for being an arrogant idiot. He is transformed into the disabled mortal Donald Blake and given a fake life to remember. By being Don Blake Thor becomes worthy, working for the good of humanity, caring for the sick, getting by with a physical problem. So when he goes to the cave and finds the stick, and becomes Thor again he is humble and generous. He is worthy.

Thor does not become worthy by hanging out in Limbo watching Donald Blake be a great guy. He becomes worthy by being Blake and actually DOING good work. By living a mortal life.

Spectacular Member

The way that Aaron has fiddled with the mythology here seems shrewd to me. The fact that Odin can no longer control the hammer is a dramatic contrivance, to be sure, but it means that the character arcs for both Thors, old and new, male and female, have a chance to be about something other than their relationship to the cranky old All-Father. Yet another plot based on Odin's unreasonable whims would in some ways feel more arbitrary than an authorial tweak to the lore. And Odin's bluster in this issue has a nostalgic appeal, but it also shows the road not taken. Odin has to be sidelined for this story to be about something other than the curmudgeonly old-world father and his impulsive new-world son, with the new heroine caught in their struggle over values. And it seems like no coincidence that the hammer has become independent at the same time that Odin's authority has come under question by his wife.

Other things:
    -- I loved the stupid cyborg sharks.
    -- I thought it was dramatically appropriate for Thor to be dismembered off-panel. In many ways, marking the bodies of superheroes carries more weight than killing them. This moment is such a violation that the story won't look at it head-on.
    -- The way that Aaron draws attention to Freyja seems like a head-fake to me. It's a cool enough idea to keep us all distracted from some other tell.
    -- Dauterman draws some of the best and funniest hair in superhero comics. The panel where Malekith's hair luxuriously flops onto the man he is threatening...hilarious and brilliant. And Freyja gently ruffling Thor's head is pretty good too.
    Last edited by Cryptid; 10-01-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Not sure if anything's changed but when it comes to Gods. Power generally determines who rules

The case with both Asgard and Olympus

Has Thor ever ruled without the amp of the Odin force?

Odin is scores of power above Freya. I mean he did banish an entire realm by himself

Quote Originally Posted by Superchick View Post
    Dear me they have messed up Thor long before this. This is what people are whining about? People can't even work out Donald Blake properly!

Thor is cast out of Asgard for being an arrogant idiot. He is transformed into the disabled mortal Donald Blake and given a fake life to remember. By being Don Blake Thor becomes worthy, working for the good of humanity, caring for the sick, getting by with a physical problem. So when he goes to the cave and finds the stick, and becomes Thor again he is humble and generous. He is worthy.

Thor does not become worthy by hanging out in Limbo watching Donald Blake be a great guy. He becomes worthy by being Blake and actually DOING good work. By living a mortal life.
    Donald Blake was worthy, that is not being disputed. He went to Norway after Odin placed a suggestion in his mind, not being disputed. He could only become Thor again after he'd lived well and charitably, overcoming his disability and working as a doctor, not being disputed. However it was the cane that released Thor from his mortal shell, it was the key to unlocking that aspect of him and so that it may have always contained an aspect of Thor that was key to becoming himself again is what I'm suggesting.

Amazing Member

Donald Blake was worthy, that is not being disputed. He went to Norway after Odin placed a suggestion in his mind, not being disputed. He could only become Thor again after he'd lived well and charitably, overcoming his disability and working as a doctor, not being disputed. However it was the cane that released Thor from his mortal shell, it was the key to unlocking that aspect of him and so that it may have always contained an aspect of Thor that was key to becoming himself again is what I'm suggesting.
    Thank the gods. I thought we were getting into 'Donald is not Thor' discussion. That way lies stupidity. I'm not sure its meant to have a piece of Thor in it at that point, it is the enchantment, it 'empowers' him. Kind of like Captain Marvel saying Shazam. So Donald gains his powers by regaining his immortal form when he hits the stick/hammer on the ground.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i'm a long time Thor fan. does this turn of events upset me? bring forth outrage? no. not at all. its just another chapter. it won't last forever. its like when everyone got upset over Superior Spider-Man. you should know better by now.
    This is how I view things.

No, Thor held the hammer long before he got sent to Earth as Donald Blake (who was a shell or disguise, not really a separate person), so he was already worthy, notwithstanding his lack of humility.

Thor going full "RRRRrrrrrRRRR" against Malekith and the Frost Giants was cringeworthy, honestly.

Except that prior to getting cast out in the form of Blake, Thor is already swinging Mjolnir around just fine! Otherwise it wouldn't be known as the hammer of Thor in the mythology. Ergo, he was already worthy to wield it, just not humble enough for Odin's taste.

Thor #1 (2014) - Seite 18.jpg
    this is so crazy.....

Fantastic Member

It just feels like they are going to drag out the "whisper" thing until they can actually come up with a decent excuse why the whisper worked.
    Although Maybe it wasn't a whisper to Thor, but an incantation to the hammer that changed Odin's enchantment.

Thank the gods. I thought we were getting into 'Donald is not Thor' discussion. That way lies stupidity. I'm not sure its meant to have a piece of Thor in it at that point, it is the enchantment, it 'empowers' him. Kind of like Captain Marvel saying Shazam. So Donald gains his powers by regaining his immortal form when he hits the stick/hammer on the ground.
    Well he's not anymore, is he? After Cul killed Thor, Blake was left to live out a mortal life but was upset to realise his life was all just a lie Odin made up, that he never actually had a childhood, they were just implanted memories. We've not seen him since so if he's killed himself as a result of that revelation, maybe that is why Thor is no longer worthy.