Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Except that prior to getting cast out in the form of Blake, Thor is already swinging Mjolnir around just fine! Otherwise it wouldn't be known as the hammer of Thor in the mythology. Ergo, he was already worthy to wield it, just not humble enough for Odin's taste.
    Thor had to spend 10 years doing good deeds as Donald Blake before he was deemed worthy and given the mental push by Odin to go to Norway to reclaim Mjolnir/find the cane so for 10 years he was deemed unworthy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    He didn't make it, Eitri of the dwarves had it made for Odin and Odin then gave it to Thor. However having seized all of the hammers of The Worthy, he should have enough Uru for a new one to be forged and then be able to place the same enchantment on the new one.
    Exactly.

Odin should simply commission the forge of a new hammer.

Or better still, melt down the old one and re-create it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    It just feels like they are going to drag out the "whisper" thing until they can actually come up with a decent excuse why the whisper worked.
    Although Maybe it wasn't a whisper to Thor, but an incantation to the hammer that changed Odin's enchantment.
    Exactly.

I just hope and pray this isn't another Red Hulk situation where the the mystery was drawn out for an unreasonably long period.

He didn't make it, Eitri of the dwarves had it made for Odin and Odin then gave it to Thor. However having seized all of the hammers of The Worthy, he should have enough Uru for a new one to be forged and then be able to place the same enchantment on the new one.
    He didn't cast the forge, or shape the hammer, but all of the mystical energies within are indeed Odin's - thus he DID make it

Let's forget the fact that Thor can't lift mjolnir; this has happened to him on a few occasions in the past anyway. The Question is: Who or what, could possibly prevent Odin from lifting the very weapon that he enchanted with HIS own life energies? The short answer is no one - The creation of mjolnir was mystical in nature and those same energies, that lie in the hammer, are also within Odin so I can't imagine anyone, cosmic or otherwise, who could sever this relationship...I mean, it's HIS [Odin's] freaking hammer; his creation. So, I gotta wonder...what if what we see, isn't TRULY mjolnir --

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Odin should simply commission the forge of a new hammer.

Or better still, melt down the old one and re-create it.
    Double better yet, take out his spell from the hammer so it's just a piece of metal.
    But that's not going to happen because it just destroys the story. It would be more interesting but it would require some actual work.

Anyway, there is no point in discussing what happened to the hammer because there is no current comic info that explains what happened. This is all just created for this story. There are, like, 5 other people on Earth on the same level as Odin with the Odinforce and unless one of those did it..... this is pretty much the standard writing method used now in comics where everything is ignore because it affects the "ability" to tell a story.

BTW, when did Thor turned into Gladiator where if he feels bad he looses his power?
    Unless Fury turns out to be a wizard, Thor is still Thor and no one should be kicking his butt unless they are stronger than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    Odin not being able to lift Mjolnir is honestly one of the dumbest moments in recent history. It makes absolutely no sense, he enchanted the hammer and has absolute control over it as shown as recently as Fear Itself.
    You are assuming this is the entirety of the bigger picture. I would be willing to bet against that.

Very interesting start. Looking forward to where things go from here.

Quote Originally Posted by lordodin1973 View Post
    He didn't cast the forge, or shape the hammer, but all of the mystical energies within are indeed Odin's - thus he DID make it
    He cast the enchantments on it but he didn't make it, he empowered it with enchantments. Just because I install a new sound system in my car doesn't mean I made the car, I just installed a component. Mjolnir was a war hammer before it was a magical hammer. Also the mystical energies in it are now split between Odin, Dr Strange and Thor.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Just read the issue. As a Thor fan, I'm pretty ticked off right now. I went into this making sure not to pre-judge it and just like it or not based on it's own merits. Well, it stinks big time. Most of what happened in this issue was ridiculous or could be explained away as bad writing per past continuity regarding Mjolnir and Thor.

For one, Odin is right there and even he couldn't lift it. He's shown in the past as being able to lift Mjolnir because he's the one that placed the enchantments on Mjolnir. Now all of a sudden, he can't? Egregious.

Second, let's just say for laughs and giggles that this all made sense and Thor and Odin couldn't lift Mjolnir, why wouldn't Odin just make Thor another hammer? It's not like he couldn't. But instead, Thor chooses to go to battle with a far subpar weapon. Again, doesn't make any sense.

Third, when has Thor ever been even close to losing a battle against Malekith? Yet, not only does Thor lose a battle against him (whom he could beat the snot out of with just his bare hands), he gets his arms chopped off. And then Malekith just walks away without delivering the killing blow? The same Malekith who would love nothing more than to kill Thor? He chops off Thor's arm and could end him right then and there but chooses not to? Really?

But what started this all is some premise that one whisper to Thor by Fury could all of a sudden make Thor unworthy. If Thor had done something in the past that made him unworthy, the enchantment would kick in immediately, not wait until someone else pointed out his flaw to him. As Charles Barkley would say "Turrible, just turrible".

The only glimmer of hope this book has is the mystery of who is actually the woman that is worthy of picking up Mjolnir and what kind of adventures she has. If they're entertaining, then it might, just might be redeeming. But if I was Aaron, I wouldn't reveal who this mystery woman is for a long time. Make readers keep guessing. Just like Marvel did a loooong time ago when they introduced the first Hobgoblin to the Spidey books.

Some may disagree with me and that's okay, but if Marvel wanted to, they could have gone about this in a totally different way to get to this point without humiliating Thor's character and tick off all of his fans.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

He cast the enchantments on it but he didn't make it, he empowered it with enchantments. Just because I install a new sound system in my car doesn't mean I made the car, I just installed a component. Mjolnir was a war hammer before it was a magical hammer. Also the mystical energies in it are now split between Odin, Dr Strange and Thor.
    Mjolnir is made out Uru, which is perfect for placing enchantments on. Just because Strange tweaked the spell a little bit, doesn't mean Odin wouldn't be able to undo it or work around it. He's Odin for crying out loud. Something is either completely not right with Mjolnir or Aaron is simply disregarding past continuity.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Double better yet, take out his spell from the hammer so it's just a piece of metal.
    But that's not going to happen because it just destroys the story. It would be more interesting but it would require some actual work.

Anyway, there is no point in discussing what happened to the hammer because there is no current comic info that explains what happened. This is all just created for this story. There are, like, 5 other people on Earth on the same level as Odin with the Odinforce and unless one of those did it..... this is pretty much the standard writing method used now in comics where everything is ignore because it affects the "ability" to tell a story.

BTW, when did Thor turned into Gladiator where if he feels bad he looses his power?
    Unless Fury turns out to be a wizard, Thor is still Thor and no one should be kicking his butt unless they are stronger than him.
    Exactly. Thor fought the Hulk once and the Hulk stated something to the effect that if he didn't have the hammer, he wouldn't be able to match him. Thor threw Mjolnir aside and fought him hand to hand to a stalemate

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Exactly. Thor fought the Hulk once and the Hulk stated something to the effect that if he didn't have the hammer, he wouldn't be able to match him. Thor threw Mjolnir aside and fought him hand to hand to a stalemate

you're right.

Mjolnir was not a warhammer, that had like, "seen battle" or anything before Odin imbued it with the Odinpower. Eitri designed it on Odin's orders. The forge itself was mystical, and just as the charge was poured into the forge, Odin unleashed the Odinpower, permanently sealing the magic within. I say this because Eitri did not create the weapon independent of Odin; he was in attendance. The dwarves can make as many weapons as they chose, but how many weapons have fallen before the mystical might of mjolnir? This is Odin's magic, thus it is his creation. The brilliance of Eitri was his perfection in crafting a charge so perfect, that it would forever seal in the magic. This is why mjolnir can be repaired by the likes of Dr. Strange. As you will recall, Thor's remaining Odinpower, was necessary for the repair. What good is mjolnir without the power? Also, Dr. Strange shares no energies within mjolnir whatsoever - What he did, was transfer the remaining Odinpower that resided in Thor to heal mjolnir. Mjolnir was not beyond repair. Odin's power...the power that Thor inherited upon Odin's death, was necessary because it was his power [Odin's] that made/makes mjolnir what it is. Not Eitri and is forge - Comparing the Odinpower that lies within mjolnir to a simple "component" is hardly analogous, but I do respect your opposing view(s) --

Quote Originally Posted by lordodin1973 View Post
    Mjolnir was not a warhammer, that had like, "seen battle" or anything before Odin imbued it with the Odinpower. Eitri designed it on Odin's orders. The forge itself was mystical, and just as the charge was poured into the forge, Odin unleashed the Odinpower, permanently sealing the magic within. I say this because Eitri did not create the weapon independent of Odin; he was in attendance. The dwarves can make as many weapons as they chose, but how many weapons have fallen before the mystical might of mjolnir? This is Odin's magic, thus it is his creation. The brilliance of Eitri was his perfection in crafting a charge so perfect, that it would forever seal in the magic. This is why mjolnir can be repaired by the likes of Dr. Strange. As you will recall, Thor's remaining Odinpower, was necessary for the repair. What good is mjolnir without the power? Also, Dr. Strange shares no energies within mjolnir whatsoever - What he did, was transfer the remaining Odinpower that resided in Thor to heal mjolnir. Mjolnir was not beyond repair. Odin's power...the power that Thor inherited upon Odin's death, was necessary because it was his power [Odin's] that made/makes mjolnir what it is. Not Eitri and is forge - Comparing the Odinpower that lies within mjolnir to a simple "component" is hardly analogous, but I do respect your opposing view(s) --
    Couldn't have said it better myself