Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    Actualy when we last saw Blake he was a severed head being kept in a permanent dream state.
    Holy Hell, when did that happen?

I took it to mean that the inscription had already been changed, but was magically concealed, which would explain why no male, including Odin, could lift it. As for whose magic could trump Odin's...well, that's a short list, I'd guess, but Frejya seems to be the obvious choice. Of course that means that perhaps Gaeia and Idunn would be in on it too. I would think the three All-Mothers together would be able to undo something only one All-Father had done.

This was a solid issue. It has potential, despite the gimmicky nature of the character swap.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I have to agree with the common flaws everybody is pointing out:

1. Odin: He crafted Mjolnir. He commands the hammer. Not the other way around. There were so many stories that shown this. For me that was the big one. If I were to write this story, Odin shouldn't have made an appearance if you wanted to keep the sword in the stone angle unless Odin deemed his son unworthy.

2. Jarnbjorn: I know Mjolnir is the ultimate plot device, but that axe is right up there in power with that hammer. Hell, it killed a celestial in one blow! Couldn't it be even more powerful? Mjolnir may have a wider variety of capabilities but for raw power, Jarnbjorn is looking to be stronger. Also, Thor spent much time wielding that axe. Malekith should have been done for

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Being the All-Mother, and knowing Odin's temper tantrum moments, Freya changes the inscriptions of the Hammer so that someone worthy and female could lift it.

Sif couldn't do the deed, given her own tomboyish nature in fighting, and how closely she is to Thor.
    100% wrong. The inscription says, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." It says nothing about gender.

Something else is going on.
    Last edited by emac1790; 10-01-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

1. Odin: He crafted Mjolnir. He commands the hammer. Not the other way around. There were so many stories that shown this. For me that was the big one. If I were to write this story, Odin shouldn't have made an appearance if you wanted to keep the sword in the stone angle unless Odin deemed his son unworthy.

2. Jarnbjorn: I know Mjolnir is the ultimate plot device, but that axe is right up there in power with that hammer. Hell, it killed a celestial in one blow! Couldn't it be even more powerful? Mjolnir may have a wider variety of capabilities but for raw power, Jarnbjorn is looking to be stronger. Also, Thor spent much time wielding that axe. Malekith should have been done for
    That axe sounds like something I waited YEARS to get, as loot from a defeated god, on Everquest long ago. The Everquest axe was said to be as badass as Thor's new weapon seems to be (killed a Celestial?!?).
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

1. My guess is that the enchantment has been changed. Odin seems surprised that he couldn't do anything with it. I may be wrong, but I think it'll be addressed going forward.

2. I think that Thor is exhausted, and just spiritually broken, which is what led to his defeat. He'd been up on the moon nearly non stop trying to lift Mjolnir. And his unworthiness seems to have really rattled him.

Perhaps when we find out what Fury said, we'll learn why even Odin can't pick up the hammer.
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    100% wrong. The inscription says, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." It says nothing about gender.
    It says "he". That implies male. In this issue, the inscription is changed to "she". So it seems like it very well may be tied to gender. I imagine that will be a theme that will be examined.

Eitri, Brok and Buri forged Mjolnir. Odin added the enchantments.
    When the fire blows

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    It says "he". That implies male. In this issue, the inscription is changed to "she". So it seems like it very well may be tied to gender. I imagine that will be a theme that will be examined.
    You're right. I overlooked the "he". As the saying goes, the story ain't done. It's just started.
    When the fire blows

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    1. My guess is that the enchantment has been changed. Odin seems surprised that he couldn't do anything with it. I may be wrong, but I think it'll be addressed going forward.

2. I think that Thor is exhausted, and just spiritually broken, which is what led to his defeat. He'd been up on the moon nearly non stop trying to lift Mjolnir. And his unworthiness seems to have really rattled him.
    Both are very good points and make complete sense. I'm alright with #2. If #1 is the case, I'm also good with that.
    Eitri, Brok and Buri forged Mjolnir. Odin added the enchantments.
    Oh yeah. Thanks for pointing that out. *Love the Avatar*
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 10-01-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Something else is going on.
    Being masculine and identifying as male assigns the designation of "he" as a mode of address. Even the application of "he" to women is contingent on the basis that men dictated to women historically and when women rose to power in England, they decreed alteration of the New English biblical texts to bind all women to the same creeds expected of men, but that's a historical theologial discussion for another place and time, so women were to be expected to obey in equal measure to men independently but respectfully in regards to the law of the land and the obedience implicit of being a citizen in a nation where a monarch has divine right to rule.

As I stated elsewhere, unless the person has a male gender identity, they shouldn't have been able to lift the hammer and unless they have a decree of assigned superiority that supercedes that of Odin who set the limitations on it, then it shouldn't be getting picked up by anyone else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    Actualy when we last saw Blake he was a severed head being kept in a permanent dream state.
    Oh, I remember that...WTF? Seriously, that was one of the weirdest things I've read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I think it's the way that Marvel/Aaron went about it to get what they wanted in a woman Thor that is upsetting the fans (myself included). If they really wanted a female Thor, they could have gone about it in a different way that fans could have said "okay, we may not like Thor giving up the hammer, but let's give her a chance". Instead, they humiliate Thor, Odin can't lift it (which is ridiculous) and then in the same issue, gets thrashed and has his arm cut off by Malekith. If you're going to do that, at least make it a villain who has the power to do that to Thor (like Surtur), not some low life villain.
    But Thor has to be humiliated by a low-life villain for it to really hurt. There's some honor is getting beaten by someone who's really good. As it stands, he got taken out by two different kinds of fodder.

And I loved that Odin couldn't lift it. As someone else said, Odin makes himself out to be God himself. But he isn't. He's not even really a real god as we know them. He's not related to Gaea or anything, and he's made just as many mistakes as Thor or Loki. Many of those mistakes involve Thor and/or Loki. The fact is, Freya probably wouldn't have changed the inscription if Odin hadn't disrespected her in front of so many people. This whole conflict is more or less because of a marriage spat between two people who probably love each other but who really probably should seek marriage counseling. Odin did cheat on Freya with Gaea, and then he sorta sacrifices their daughter, and then he brings home an emotionally disturbed mutant Frost Giant to raise, and then he leaves her in charge of a whole kingdom so he could basically hang out with his brother for a year or two, and now he wants to come home and take over, and he just expects her to go back to being his dutiful wife?

Of course, Freya is also has King Loki in their basement and she's more or less sacrificing one of their children, whom Odin does love regardless, for an uncertain future, and she's humiliating Thor by doing all of this.

Congrats, they're both sorta awful people and parents.

Well that's another shock after Onslaught, that Odin couldn't lift the hammer. We are seeing here something outside the realm of the Asgardians. Has Fury discovered what science the Asgardians are using and can circumnavigate it? And is that why Fury doesn't have any fear of the Asgardian gods? It would put a whole new light on the Unseen if that was the case. It would mean that behind the scenes, Fury had the number that could nullify every being he ever came in contact with. Not the Watcher maybe, because Fury didn't know what they were right up to the time he worked out all the Watchers knowledge was in his eyes.

You're right. I overlooked the "he". As the saying goes, the story ain't done. It's just started.
    Yup...it's off to a good start. We'll see where it goes.

Both are very good points and make complete sense. I'm alright with #2. If #1 is the case, I'm also good with that.
    That's my guess. One or more of the All-Mothers have changes the enchantment.