Page 1 of 74 123451151 ... LastLast

Default 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread

It's October. We're less than a month away from Opening Night of the new NBA season.

Training camps have already started for all 30 teams. Lots of hopes and expectations all across the continent (I see you, Toronto).

Any predictions? Who you got as the favorite for the next NBA champions? What about the league MVP? The Defensive Player of the Year? How do you think your favorite team is going to do this year?

Who's ready for some hoops?

Incredible Member

The Trail Blazers are ready! 13 of 15 players returning from last year, including all 5 starters, and the entire coaching and front office staffs. It's been a while since we had that kind of stability.

Go Rip City!
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

My Way-Too-Early Predictions For The 2014-2015 NBA Season (Mark 1.0)
    =======================================

1) Best Regular-Season Record Team: San Antonio Spurs (run smooth as ice all throughout the regular season)

2) Most Improved Team: Cleveland Cavaliers (really, there's no one else even competing for this)

3) Most Disappointing Team: Los Angeles Lakers (even with Kobe back, I don't see them finishing better than 9th in the Western Conference this year)

4) Hardest to Predict Team: Chicago Bulls (it all comes down to Derrick Rose)

5) Most Fascinating Team to Watch For All The Right Reasons: Los Angeles Clippers (Steve Ballmer's reign as new owner will be enjoyable)

6) Most Fascinating Team to Watch For All The Wrong Reasons: Miami Heat (Chris Bosh as an alpha player, Dwayne Wade's health, the giant LeBron-shaped hole in both their games)

7) Most Fascinating Team to Watch For All The Other Reasons: New York Knicks (Carmelo the most underrated superstar in the league ... really?)

8) Least Fascinating Team to Watch For Any Reason: Detroit Pistons (as a born-and-raised metro Detroiter, this pains me to say, but it feels true right now)

9) Most Make-Or-Break Season Team: Houston Rockets (If Dwight Howard and James Harden don't take another leap forward, then we've seen his ceiling already)

10) Least Make-Or-Break Season Team: Indiana Pacers (Anything they do this season is a bonus, thanks to Paul George's injury)

11) Offensive Player Of The Year / Scoring Champion: Kevin Durant (may one day challenge Kareem on the all-time career seasonal points list at this rate)

12) All-Defensive 1st Team: Chris Paul, Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard

13) Defensive Player Of The Year: LeBron James (it's the one individual accolade he HASN'T won yet, and he wants it badly)

14) All-NBA 1st-Team: Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Anthony Davis

15) MVP Finalists: Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis

16) League MVP: LeBron James (will get ALL of the credit for Cleveland's likely turnaround season)

Can't even think about playoffs yet.

What are some of your predictions for this upcoming regular season?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-02-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Carmelo says he's the most underrated superstar.

I know that to be a obvious crap as he's a superstar that has greatly underachieved. So you can say a great underachieving superstar on a team the Knicks that is very mediocre.

believe Ray Allen's the remaining big FA question , and it may still be a while till he decides as he likely doesn't want to deal with training camp

Well Omeka Okafor's also still available

Not much to look forward to this season as a Celts fan, I am interested to see if they move Rajon before the deadline. I feel like the Spurs could easily win again, Lebron MVP....blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Not much to look forward to this season as a Celts fan, I am interested to see if they move Rajon before the deadline. I feel like the Spurs could easily win again, Lebron MVP....blah blah blah
    You guys have Marcus Smart, aka "The Celtics' Insurance Policy For Rajon Rondo". He looks good.

But I don't feel the Spurs will repeat. They'll coast to the top of the League during the season. They'll go deep into the playoffs.

But the Spurs long ago sacrificed potential dominance for concrete consistency : they always have the worst case of championship hangover in the league the year after they win it all. They have never repeated and I doubt they start now. Something unexpected will knock them out of contention (probably Durant & Co).

@ daBronzeBomma, Steve Ballmer owns the Clips, not Paul Allen. Paul Allen owns the Blazers.
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    @ daBronzeBomma, Steve Ballmer owns the Clips, not Paul Allen. Paul Allen owns the Blazers.
    You're right. My bad. Fixed it.

The Russian finds that owning a NBA team is not as easy as it sounds,

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1961220
    When the fire blows

$1.7B for the Nets?

That's just as ridiculous a price as $2B was for the Clippers.

No way Mutant Russian Mark Cuban finds a seller to go that high, not when he bought the team for $200M. He'd turn a profit no doubt, but not 8 times the amount for what he bought the franchise. Maybe $800M tops. Unless Steve Ballmer has an equally rich and determined brother.

Omeka Okafor would be my guess to be picked up by the Cavs at some point ... they have no decent rim protection beyond Varajeo (unless you slide LeBron back into the 4-spot).

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    You guys have Marcus Smart, aka "The Celtics' Insurance Policy For Rajon Rondo". He looks good.

But I don't feel the Spurs will repeat. They'll coast to the top of the League during the season. They'll go deep into the playoffs.

But the Spurs long ago sacrificed potential dominance for concrete consistency : they always have the worst case of championship hangover in the league the year after they win it all. They have never repeated and I doubt they start now. Something unexpected will knock them out of contention (probably Durant & Co).
    Marcus Smart and Bradley are two of the best on ball defenders in the league which is great, but neither could shoot their own foot with a shotgun. I really have no idea where the points will come from with this team. As far as the Spurs, I just still think they are the most seasoned, well coached, complete team in the NBA. That may not translate to a repeat, but I still would have to say they are the favorites coming out of the west, and unless Cleveland gels instantly this year, no one in the east is better either.

And the 2014-2015 NBA (exhibition games) Pre-Season has officially begun.

Caught the highlights of Cleveland Cavaliers vs Maccabi Tel Aviv pre-season game. Hard to predict anything from exhibition games, but they looked good as a whole.

Also,

The NBA just got its Next Big TV Contract done.

NBA's new deal with ESPN/ABC and TNT worth over $2.5 Billion per year (up from current deal's $900+ Million per year) and starts beginning with the 2016-2017 season and is scheduled to run through the 2024-2025 season.

Now we have the proof why LeBron only signed with Cleveland for 2 years. ALL max contracts are going to worth a lot more once this new deal kicks in.

Just an aside, I bet we have a new SuperSonics team in Seattle ready to go by the start of the 2016-2017 season now that this new TV contract is official.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    And the 2014-2015 NBA (exhibition games) Pre-Season has officially begun.

Caught the highlights of Cleveland Cavaliers vs Maccabi Tel Aviv pre-season game. Hard to predict anything from exhibition games, but they looked good as a whole.

Also,

The NBA just got its Next Big TV Contract done.

NBA's new deal with ESPN/ABC and TNT worth over $2.5 Billion per year (up from current deal's $900+ Million per year) and starts beginning with the 2016-2017 season and is scheduled to run through the 2024-2025 season.

Now we have the proof why LeBron only signed with Cleveland for 2 years. ALL max contracts are going to worth a lot more once this new deal kicks in.

Just an aside, I bet we have a new SuperSonics team in Seattle ready to go by the start of the 2016-2017 season now that this new TV contract is official.
    I watched a fair bit of the game, there was a good deal of clunkyness going on but its the beginning of training camp for a new team so it's expected.
    Lebron wasn't really trying to score, it seemed he was more interested in feeling out his team mates through passing and running the offense.
    Kevin Love was showing off some of his monster outlet passing, and while it didn't seem to be running perfectly yet holy crap is that going to be lethal once the team gels, you CANNOT let the Cavs beat you down the court after a rebound
    Speaking of rebounding Love, Thompson, Marrion, and Verajao had a combined 45 rebounds, Lebron's days of being on a poor rebounding team are so over, offensive and defensive
    This team is if anything even more lethal on the break than the Heat were as Irving can trail and hit a 3 which Wade couldn't