Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Superman: The power within

Ya know, I've been so busy writing, that I haven't had time to post about this ... until now:

SUPERMAN: THE POWER WITHIN
    STK657725.jpg
    Written by ROGER STERN & WILLIAM MESSNER-LOEBS
    Art by CURT SWAN, JOHN BEATTY, MURPHY ANDERSON and DENNIS JANKE
    Cover by BRENT ANDERSON

When Superman saves an innocent man from being killed, he discovers two disturbing facts: 1) the man he saved is part of a cult that worships the Man of Steel, and 2) the man's would-be killer is part of another faction dedicated to wiping them out! Even worse, both groups are gaining super-powers due to a mysterious, space-born source that Superman must discover before it is too late! Plus: When a young man gains superhuman powers, he must quickly learn to use them to protect his sister from assassins ... and to deal with a certain Man of Steel ... all in the classic three-part Sinbad Contract!

Collecting stories -- drawn by the great Curt Swan -- from ACTION COMICS WEEKLY #601-641. Plus, SUPERMAN #48, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #471, and ACTION COMICS #658.

Trade Paperback - 176 pg, FC, $16.99 US
    On sale JANUARY 7, 2015

I haven't yet been able to find the FINAL ORDER CUT-OFF DATE, but Westfield Comics has a nice little article about the book over here.

-- Uncle Rog
    I am not on MySpace. I am not on Facebook. I am not LinkedIn. I do not "Tweet." But I do have an Author's Page.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm actually really excited that there's gonna be a Stern/Swan Superman out that I've never seen before. Thank you.

Y'know he still needs you, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm actually really excited that there's gonna be a Stern/Swan Superman out that I've never seen before. Thank you.

Y'know he still needs you, right?
    Who ... Superman?
    I am not on MySpace. I am not on Facebook. I am not LinkedIn. I do not "Tweet." But I do have an Author's Page.

BANNED

That's awesome Roger. Can't wait.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Stern View Post
    Who ... Superman?
    Definitely.

I didn't notice before that this also includes Sinbad. Having a reprint of that story is cool, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I didn't notice before that this also includes Sinbad. Having a reprint of that story is cool, too.
    Yes! I thought that Bill and Curt made a great team.

Superman investigating a cult that worships him? That sounds awesome.
    You will need a miracle to defeat us, mutant! You are severely outnumbered!
    My brother's the one who cares about numbers.
    THUNK
    I'm the one who believes in miracles.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Stern View Post
    Yes! I thought that Bill and Curt made a great team.
    Agreed great story. It was an amazing time to read Superman. Even the fill-in's kicked butt!

It's your fault, Roger (along with Ordway, Simonson, Kesel, Jurgens and Carlin) that I still can't stop buying Superman comics to this day. That era from 1988-1994 ish sealed the deal. Even though that continuity has long been abandoned, the memories associated with that run has made me a fan for life. So excited to get this novel!

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Agreed great story. It was an amazing time to read Superman. Even the fill-in's kicked butt!

It's your fault, Roger (along with Ordway, Simonson, Kesel, Jurgens and Carlin) that I still can't stop buying Superman comics to this day. That era from 1988-1994 ish sealed the deal. Even though that continuity has long been abandoned, the memories associated with that run has made me a fan for life. So excited to get this novel!
    Thanks.

Superman meant a lot to me, growing up. It was nice to get a chance to pay it forward.

BANNED

How Post-Crisis is this? I am interested in the Swanderson art, but really don't like the Byrne reboot. Especially Clark as the real personality.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

As someone of Middle Eastern descent, seeing Clark put a racist co-worker in his place always puts a smile on my face.

Too bad DC canceled Davood's return for Superman 712 (that wouldn't bother me much if extremist right wing bloggers didn't brag about it).

Out of curiosity Mr. Stern, did you receive any kind of opposition when you did this story?
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    As someone of Middle Eastern descent, seeing Clark put a racist co-worker in his place always puts a smile on my face.

Too bad DC canceled Davood's return for Superman 712 (that wouldn't bother me much if extremist right wing bloggers didn't brag about it).

Out of curiosity Mr. Stern, did you receive any kind of opposition when you did this story?

None at all. Of course, that was pre-Internet.

BANNED

Surprised I didnt see this before, pretty awesome.

The Roger Stern + Jackson Guice run was awesome way back. I'm surprised it never gets mentioned, the last of the great Superman writers a long with Dan Jurgens.

Eitherway, awesome stuff especially with Swan thrown in, excited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Surprised I didnt see this before, pretty awesome.

The Roger Stern + Jackson Guice run was awesome way back. I'm surprised it never gets mentioned, the last of the great Superman writers a long with Dan Jurgens.

Eitherway, awesome stuff especially with Swan thrown in, excited for it.
    ALL Swan ... except for the included covers (by Dave Gibbons, Kerry Gammill, Alex Nino, Dean Motter, Brent Anderson, John Severin, and Murphy Anderson).

By the way, you can see the final cover at http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...E-POWER-WITHIN

(The file is too big to fit here.)

-- Uncle Rog

On Sale Tomorrow!