Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Guardians 3000, #1

In "Guardians 3000" #1 writer Dan Abnett and artist Gerardo Sandoval give readers a brand new world filled with the expectedly unexpected as Vance Astro, Martinex, Yondu, Starhawk and Charlie-27 return to their own comic book.

Full review here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In "Guardians 3000" #1 writer Dan Abnett and artist Gerardo Sandoval give readers a brand new world filled with the expectedly unexpected as Vance Astro, Martinex, Yondu, Starhawk and Charlie-27 return to their own comic book.

Full review here.
    NICE!
    I'm on board.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

It was a good starting issue, but it didn't feel that way until the reveal towards the end. I kept thinking it was a pretty average superhero comic with some 2000AD overtones, but then everything gets twisted when Geena Drake pieces things together. I think it's going to turn out to be a great series.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I'm on the fence with this book again. Does Aleta show up/is referenced or nah?

I'm watching closely too. I'd be interested in hearing what folks that loved the DnA run thought.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It was a good starting issue, but it didn't feel that way until the reveal towards the end. I kept thinking it was a pretty average superhero comic with some 2000AD overtones, but then everything gets twisted when Geena Drake pieces things together. I think it's going to turn out to be a great series.
    That sounds awesome!
    Couldn't make it down my LCS yet so I'm still waiting here at work...like a sucker! >_<

BANNED

For the first half I thought it was terrible.

The second half, on the other hand, was magnificent.

They really need to tone down the open-mouthed roid-rage exploding muscles stuff though. The art was really hard to get used to and I really don't like it. But the story, as revealed in the second half, has a LOT of potential.

BANNED

I'm really glad that I traded the normal GotG book for this! It felt a bit cliche for the first half but towards the end it became far better. I'm curious to see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    I'm on the fence with this book again. Does Aleta show up/is referenced or nah?
    Starhawk is female through half the book, but she is not referred to as Aleta. I think you'd have to know Starhawk's back story to infer that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTraveler View Post
    I'm watching closely too. I'd be interested in hearing what folks that loved the DnA run thought.
    I am one of those people that loved the DnA run, and I thought it was a good opening issue. Like others have mentioned, the first half was mediocre (and kinda disappointing considering it was Abnett writing), but the second half explains why the first half was so mediocre. It was an intentional storytelling technique, and it sets up a very clever and interesting conflict, which redeemed the first half for me. I'm very intrigued with where the series may go.

Even though I'm not at all familiar with the classic Guardians, I thought this was a very promising issue!

Like other members have suggested, the first half, though it was nothing at all bad, was nothing to write home about either. It was necessary for the sake of the story Abnett wants to tell and, to his credit, he did manage to add a couple of touching moments in there involving a few fan-favorite characters, but it was rather standard fare. The issue shines, however, during its second half, with Abnett clearly laying the groundwork for several elements which will doubtlessly play a part in the series. The time-travelling aspect appears to take a few hints from this summer's "Edge of Tomorrow" (one of the summer's best movies, in my opinion, so great decision there!), and it'll be quite interesting to see how that'll work in the comic book medium.

The writing was, generally speaking, very strong. Abnett managed to successfully characterize every Guardian, showcasing some of their most significant traits, though some got a larger spotlight than others (I personally would have liked to have had a little more Yondu). Also of note is the usage of futuristic lingo: adding certain certain words or phrases that are weird enough to place the reader in a futuristic setting but not weird enough to where the reader has to pause and try to guess that word's meaning is an appreciated touch! This is real sci-fi right here!

However, my main gripe has to do with the art department. Mind you, I thought Sandoval's artwork worked better than I thought it would when the creative team was announced. His art style, not unlike Mad's or Ramos', is cartoonishly kinetic, and at certain points (namely quieter moments and the final panel) it was actually quite pleasant to look at. However, the exaggerated face designs combined with the toothy constipated yells really didn't work, and actually worked to the story's detriment in two moments (one featuring Major Victory and the other Martinex). Hopefully it'll work better in future issues.

All in all, judging by this first issue alone, even though there's room for improvement, I'm all in for as long as this comic keeps going (and please, let's make sure it does for quite a while, yes?)!

BANNED

Just wondering, any chance Yondu speaks any of his Centaurian phrase's?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Starhawk is female through half the book, but she is not referred to as Aleta. I think you'd have to know Starhawk's back story to infer that.
    Interesting, sounds like some of the old Guardians issues. I'll go ahead and pull this one and pick it up next time I'm at my LCS. Hopefully, Abnett gets enough issues to re-establish Starhawk and Aleta's backstory then.

took a look ... put it back ... cant stand the art. Too bad since they are one of my fovorite team

BANNED

Loved it and loved the art.

I'm a big Mad and Ramos fan anyway so love that style.