Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I really wanted to go, but I just couldn't manage it this year. Maybe next.

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    Does anyone know if that Frankenstein Underground #1 variant cover be for sale at the Dark Horse booth at ECCC?
    It will be. The ECCC website has it under the "other exclusives" I believe and it will be at the Dark Horse booth with some other awesome exclusives.

As we know, Frankenstein Underground is a once-off. There won't be any more stories in that series. So it's going straight to hardcover.

EDIT: Hmm, it may be an Amazon error. I'll await confirmation.

UPDATE: It's now listed as a paperback. I guess that settles that.
    Last edited by middenway; 03-22-2015 at 04:39 PM.

BANNED

I really liked the visual look of Frankenstein and the villain seemed mindly interesting.

I have to say that I believe this to be Ben's best work. And I love the payoff for being a longtime BPRD reader. This exceeded my already insanely high expectations. Beautiful stuff. I'll be double dipping when the collection hits. Somebody better make sure there is a HC for this. Crazy twitter rumblings that it goes straight to tpb. Bah!!!

Spectacular Member

I loved Frankenstein's very Miltonian sounding monologue at the end - always preferred Mary Shelley's "smart" Creature over the Boris Karloff one.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    As we know, Frankenstein Underground is a once-off. There won't be any more stories in that series. So it's going straight to hardcover.

EDIT: Hmm, it may be an Amazon error. I'll await confirmation.

UPDATE: It's now listed as a paperback. I guess that settles that.
    I don't know, after reading the first issue it definitely feels like it could be an on going.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't know, after reading the first issue it definitely feels like it could be an on going.
    Mignola has said it's only going to be a one-off, but that if the right idea comes along, he may return to it. I must admit, I would like to see more...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Mignola has said it's only going to be a one-off, but that if the right idea comes along, he may return to it. I must admit, I would like to see more...
    It seems like a character ripe for all kinds of stories, and with his existence running parallel to Hellboy's own the comparisons would be interesting to see.

I believe it was a podcast where I heard Mignola say that he enjoyed the 1st season of Penny Dreadful and how the monster was portrayed in it. I think he said that he was quite pleased by this take and that he had no desire to continue this comic series past these 5 issues. But, you know, never say never.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I believe it was a podcast where I heard Mignola say that he enjoyed the 1st season of Penny Dreadful and how the monster was portrayed in it. I think he said that he was quite pleased by this take and that he had no desire to continue this comic series past these 5 issues. But, you know, never say never.
    Yes, he's definitely said many times that there's not going to be any more. He's also qualified that statement with a "but you never know..." a couple of times.

I don't think there will be any more, but if lightning strikes and Mignola comes up with a story, I'll be very happy.

Amazing Member

Amazing second issue. The first one was all about exposition and ties to the universe, while this story is pure adventure with "anything is possible around the corner" feel. Ben Stenbeck is handling art duties quite different than he did on Baltimore. Now he is close to Mignola as much as his style allows (especially on the fall sequence at the beginning). The end result is brilliant.

And it's good to see him returning to make a sequel to Witchfinder flashback segment he did on In the Service of Angels.
    Urrasan.jpg
    Last edited by Shargor; 04-23-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Very cool. The art work on this issue blew me away. It was so Mignola-esque while retaining it's own style. I drank in every page of Frank in those caves.