Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default BECOME WORTHY: A Detailed Analysis of Marvel's New "Thor" #1

CBR annotates Jason Aaron & Russell Dauterman's big debut issue, which calls upon five decades of Marvel's dense mythology to tell its tale.

Full article here.

All-New Member

even from the top of this article, I have to ask in earnest: HOW THE HELL IS ROXXON ALLOWED TO STILL BE A CORPORATION?!

They have proven time and friggin time again that they are corrupt from the top down. And I do not care for "oh well how is Exxon/BP/any given energy company allowed to function IRL; it's allegory." Roxxon has been corporate sponsored terrorism/supervilliany. I call on someone with some function of authority in the Marvel universe to either dismantle or put some straight-up sanctions on Roxxon.

Those words why BMB decided to put them to an end in the Ultimate Universe because he said himself: "I don't know how they've lasted in the main MU because they have done things even Dr. Doom wouldn't do." So, I was right, someone changed the inscription on the hammer so "he" could not lift the hammer up. Even if it was someone worthy as long as they were male, nope can't lift it. I think the All-mother has something to do with this.
    Mooper Films

BANNED

Just to start the inevitable guessing game:

This new Thor could be Valkyrie. I mean, it has to be an Asgardian, otherwise how the heck did she get to the moon?

Fantastic Member

If the new Thor is a character we already know, it could well be Valkyrie, though I suspect it's not simply because she is not as muscular as Val is usually shown. The All-Mother is obviously involved - but what is interesting here is that, apparently, she sent a woman to lift the hammer whom she KNEW would be worthy of Mjolnir. That's interesting in itself, especially given the discussion of the hammer and its enchantment taking on a life of its own. To be honest, I wondered if the new Thor was Freya herself, though that doesn't seem likely.

I was a bit disappointed that the woman picking up the hammer was not more muscular. She seems almost waifish. Admittedly, this should not affect her "worthiness", though it may affect her ability to hold her own in battle. What's not clear here is how does the enchantment work? It gives the bearer of Mjolnir the "power of Thor" - so, that seems to mean that the hammer physically empowers whoever holds the hammer. How did that work with Thor himself? Did he double his own power? This part of the enchantment made sense when the transformation was from Don Blake to Thor; now, it doesn't really add up.

I don't buy the idea that Odin could not lift the hammer. Even if the enchantment changed, it should not be more powerful than Odin. It's long been established that Odin can lift the hammer without problem. Indeed, other supremely powerful beings have lifted the hammer before, including Zeus and Mephisto.

Mattkind

Quote Originally Posted by Gshag View Post
    even from the top of this article, I have to ask in earnest: HOW THE HELL IS ROXXON ALLOWED TO STILL BE A CORPORATION?!

They have proven time and friggin time again that they are corrupt from the top down. And I do not care for "oh well how is Exxon/BP/any given energy company allowed to function IRL; it's allegory." Roxxon has been corporate sponsored terrorism/supervilliany. I call on someone with some function of authority in the Marvel universe to either dismantle or put some straight-up sanctions on Roxxon.
    Everytime they get chught they just blame a Rouge Executive

Amazing Member

Personaly I think in all likelyhood its Alice from the HoneyMooners after all wasnt Ralph allways threatening to send her to the moon!

Extraordinary Member

So, it was Freya. She was mad at Odin for being his normal self, so she changed the inscription to show him that a woman could do it. Actually, I think I love that this all is because Freya is mad at Odin for disrespecting her and Odin being too pig-headed to give his wife some credit.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    So, it was Freya. She was mad at Odin for being his normal self, so she changed the inscription to show him that a woman could do it. Actually, I think I love that this all is because Freya is mad at Odin for disrespecting her and Odin being too pig-headed to give his wife some credit.
    I don't think it looks like Freya. Physically, the woman appears younger and smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    If the new Thor is a character we already know, it could well be Valkyrie, though I suspect it's not simply because she is not as muscular as Val is usually shown. The All-Mother is obviously involved - but what is interesting here is that, apparently, she sent a woman to lift the hammer whom she KNEW would be worthy of Mjolnir. That's interesting in itself, especially given the discussion of the hammer and its enchantment taking on a life of its own. To be honest, I wondered if the new Thor was Freya herself, though that doesn't seem likely.

I was a bit disappointed that the woman picking up the hammer was not more muscular. She seems almost waifish. Admittedly, this should not affect her "worthiness", though it may affect her ability to hold her own in battle. What's not clear here is how does the enchantment work? It gives the bearer of Mjolnir the "power of Thor" - so, that seems to mean that the hammer physically empowers whoever holds the hammer. How did that work with Thor himself? Did he double his own power? This part of the enchantment made sense when the transformation was from Don Blake to Thor; now, it doesn't really add up.

I don't buy the idea that Odin could not lift the hammer. Even if the enchantment changed, it should not be more powerful than Odin. It's long been established that Odin can lift the hammer without problem. Indeed, other supremely powerful beings have lifted the hammer before, including Zeus and Mephisto.
    That's the problem, isn't it, that Odin can't lift it.

The history of the hammers started when Cul created the hammers for the worthy, those that took part in Fear Itself. After Odin defeated CUL and imprisoned him in Marianas Trench, the hammers were all sent to space to exist as a consellation in the sky. (None of them reappeared until the Red Skull caused a spell that sent for one of the hammers that landed in Antarctica. It waited there till Sin could lift it and turned into the daughter of CUL, and then FI happened and the hammers were sent back into space after Sin failed to collect all of them again).

Then Odin created his own hammer, one Odin used himself for eons until Thor became its owner. It was Odins enchantment that created Mjolnir, and made it its unique magical object it is today. Odin, not Freyer. If the wording on the hammer has changed to not include "him", then Odin can change that.

If Nick Fury made a deal with Freyer when she was Allmother, and put on an enchantment that Fury could trigger with a whisper, just so Fury could defeat Thor, then Freyer is complicit in Thors defeat and I can't see that. Someone else had to have put that sort of powerful enchantment on the hammer, and the only who could do that is Cul. I don't know who could have reached CUL in his jail with Odin, (maybe Loki, if Fury paid Loki enough), so Cul put on the enchantment.

We really don't know the relationship between CUL and Freyer and the other Allmothers, do we. Cul had first shot at them, before Odin, so who knows what the Allmothers will do now that Cul is released? Cul could be the righteous husband of Freyer for all we know and Odin took her after defeating Cul.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-01-2014 at 06:06 PM.

[QUOTE=jackolover;564816] If Freyja is involved, then we don't have to guess the motive...as she is pretty miffed at Odin. It will be interesting to know what Fury whispered to Thor to make him unworthy. It must have been something he learned through The Watcher's eyeball. You folks would know more than I.

On the other hand, as I have mentioned in many other places, I was disappointed by this issue. Waste of my money...should have waited until #2 when we see more of new Thor. But I am mad enough about SeaLab and attack sharks to say bye-bye.
    Reading Miracleman, Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Eternal, Earth2, Gotham Academy.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think it looks like Freya. Physically, the woman appears younger and smaller.
    No, I meant that it was Freya who changed the description...but now that you mention it, wow, that would make a little sense.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    Just to start the inevitable guessing game:

This new Thor could be Valkyrie. I mean, it has to be an Asgardian, otherwise how the heck did she get to the moon?
    I doubt it's Valkyrie. She's appearing as herself in Avengers World 15, and you'd think people would freak out if she showed up there carrying Mjolnir or something. It's not like she'd be the sort of individual to keep the fact she can lift Mjolnir secret. Also, I can't ever see Valkyrie abandoning Dragonfang completely, even if she did start packing Mjolnir too.

(That said, there's apparently still two canon Valkyries running around...Samantha and Brunabelle...=S)

But yes, the fact that the individual managed to get to the moon would seem to limit it to somebody already superhuman in some way.

Also, yes, the new Thor does seem a little skinny, but I imagine the artist will adjust her bulk as feedback comes back about her look. I'm actually more curious as to how competent a warrior the new Thor is. Will we have a Thor who actually knows at least as much about the martial arts as the Odinson (or, say, it is Valkyrie, or Sif, or something, perhaps more about it?)...or someone who's an amateur in close combat and is going to be relying heavily on the strength provided by the hammer to see her through fights?

And...I don't think Freyja changed the inscription. I think the Hammer changed its own inscription. Coz' it decided this lady was worthy.
    Last edited by lcg16; 10-01-2014 at 08:34 PM.

All-New Member

The issue, as a whole, isn't a terrible read, but I find it inconceivable that Odin himself is now unable to lift Mjolnir. It was Odin who, long ago, enchanted the hammer and imbued it with special powers in the first place. It's as much a part of him as his own right arm. Moreover, as formidable a weapon as Mjolnir undoubtedly is, it is essentially just that -- a weapon. For all it is capable of doing, the hammer should never be able to surpass that of the Odin Power. Even if Mjolnir were able to take on a life of its down, the All-Father is certainly more than powerful enough to break the enchantment (just as young Franklin Richards did with the Soulbreaker hammer when he reversed Cul's spell over Ben Grimm during Fear Itself). The fact that it's his own enchantment he's unable to get around makes the exposition all the more absurd.

It was also a bit strange to see how Thor came to be so easily subdued and defeated. Even bereft of his hammer, he is a warrior unlike any other and a force to be reckoned with. He's the son of a skyfather and an elder goddess (Gaea) for crying out loud!

As for the new Thor, I assumed it was Freya who lifted the hammer, but perhaps that's not the case. I do like Dauterman's take on this new version of the character. I'm okay with her physique. Considering that she's female and that her power derives from Asgardian cosmic energy (as opposed to push-ups or bench presses), I'm kind of glad she isn't too muscly.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    That's the problem, isn't it, that Odin can't lift it.

If Nick Fury made a deal with Freyer when she was Allmother, and put on an enchantment that Fury could trigger with a whisper, just so Fury could defeat Thor, then Freyer is complicit in Thors defeat and I can't see that. Someone else had to have put that sort of powerful enchantment on the hammer, and the only who could do that is Cul. I don't know who could have reached CUL in his jail with Odin, (maybe Loki, if Fury paid Loki enough), so Cul put on the enchantment.

We really don't know the relationship between CUL and Freyer and the other Allmothers, do we. Cul had first shot at them, before Odin, so who knows what the Allmothers will do now that Cul is released? Cul could be the righteous husband of Freyer for all we know and Odin took her after defeating Cul.
    As an old school Thor fan, I always cringe just a bit when I see the name Cul.

I think you're extrapolating a bit too much here.

Thor wasn't felled by magic. That's the beauty of it. Fury told him a deep, dark secret; something so profoundly horrible that he can't even talk about it. He committed some great past sin (an original sin ) that he never knew about. Having become privy to that knowledge, he's completely lost faith in himself. He doesn't feel worthy; so he isn't.
    Last edited by ArmsHeldOut; 10-02-2014 at 02:06 AM.

All-New Member

The hammer's enchantment often changes the appearance of its wielder.