• WALKING DEAD #132

4 10.53%
  • WITCHBLADE #178

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Oct 3/14 - Fade Out #2, Rat Queens #8, Alex +Ada #9, God Hates Astronauts #2

Last Week's Winner

Despite some mild resistance, Saga fans won out last week. Once again Saga is our top comic with 12 votes. Excellent debuts for 2 new titles titles Roche Limit with 5 votes and A Voice in the Dark with 4. It's always a special day when Rat Queens is released. It's back today for a huge week for Image. The followup issue to Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' awesome debut of The Fade Out is out today as well as the amazing God Hates Astronauts #2(my favorite). Former Comic of the Week winners Alex +Ada and Nailbiter is returning. Also the very first volume of Southern Bastards TP hit stands, make sure you pick this up if you haven't checked out the series already. Tough week, lots of great titles today.

New titles this week is Cutter by Robert Place Napton, Seamus Fahey and Chris Dibari. Published weekly for October, Cutter tells the tale of what happens when the kid you and your friends bullied in school came back to haunt you with a vengeance. As well as The Li'l Depressed Boy by S. Steven Struble and Sina Grace returning to the racks.

New This Week

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS
    (W) S. Steven Struble (A/CA) Sina Grace
    "ALWAYS SOMETHING IN MY BLINDSPOT"
    The fan favorite LI'L DEPRESSED BOY returns for the everyday adventures of love, life, and vinyl. LDB enjoys his new relationship in spite of work woes. But how will he cope when the last person he wants to see reappears?

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS
    (W) Robert Place Napton, Seamus Fahey (A/CA) Chris Dibari
    CUTTER: Issues 1-4, weekly throughout October! What if that kid you and your friends picked on in your youth came back with a vengeance...to kill you and your friends? That dark guilt-ridden fear is at the core of CUTTER, a cautionary tale about the sins of your past coming back to haunt you. Jeremy lives a quiet life with his wife in a rural town. Successful and stable, Jeremy is the guy next door. But he and his high school friends share a dark secret. And when that secret literally comes back to haunt them, Jeremy must confront his past and his own sanity as he comes face to face with a vicious serial killer..."The Cutter." From television writer SEAMUS KEVIN FAHEY (Battlestar Galactica, The Following) and comic writer ROBERT PLACE NAPTON (Son of Merlin) with art by acclaimed horror artist CHRISTIAN DIBARI.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 10-01-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Nothing for me this week, took the time to pick up some back issues of minis that I'd been interested in. So if Dead Body Road or Storm Dogs was an option.. I'd pick one of those

Only had four titles on my pull list this week. I'll go from best to worst, as usual pretty good week for me Image has never let me down so far. I'm always getting enjoyable titles, anyway:

This week I voted for the Walking Dead #132 because that little revelation in this book just had me going dam (out loud mind you), the lead up to it was awesome as well. I might be a bit naive but I never saw this coming so it blew my mind.

Third (I will mention my second at the end) for me this week was the Fade Out, as much as I loved this issue (more than the first), it just didn't have this wow moment for me but the story it's telling is amazing as are the character. If it wasn't for the epic walking dead moment this week The Fade Out would have gotten my vote.

Lastly on the bottom of my list was Nailbiter, I just love everything about this series but since this is the start of a new arc I kinda knew this issue would be laying some groundwork, wasn't entirely bad but need more serial killer screen time!

On a side note anyone that loved Southern Bastards, check out Men of Wrath it was my #2 book this week. Has all the southern glory of Southern Bastards and written by Jason Aaron as well. I loved this issue and would have voted for it but its a Icon title lol
    Black Science, Copperhead, Deadly Class, East of West, The Fade Out, Five Ghosts, Ghosted, Injustice, Invincible, Lazarus, Manifest Destiny, Nailbiter, Outcast, Saga, Southern Bastards, Spread,The Walking Dead, Wayward, XO Manowar

Incredible Member

Alex + Ada for me. The Fade Out a close second.

I really want to jump on the Peter Panzerfaust bandwagon. Is anyone reading that series? Thoughts on it?

Rat Queens by default, it being the only Image book I picked up this week. Much as I liked the story itself, as part of the larger arc, I was left feeling more than a little impatient. I suppose that's the effect of a gear switch after a delay; I felt like I missed some pages once we were through V's flashback. Really could have used a recap page.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post

I really want to jump on the Peter Panzerfaust bandwagon. Is anyone reading that series? Thoughts on it?
    Only been through the first trade and yes it's excellent. Will finish this series once everything slows down for me.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Only been through the first trade and yes it's excellent. Will finish this series once everything slows down for me.
    Agreed. It really needs more attention. I have read the first 3 trades with the 4th trade being mailed to me now. It's a really fun, consistent series.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Dorktron, what did you think of God Hates Astronauts this week? I just finished it but have a few more titles to read before I vote, picked up 6 Image titles this week along with some of my regulars. We seem to have the same tastes.
    LOL, I think GHA is the comic I've been waiting for all my life for

Dorktron, what did you think of God Hates Astronauts this week? I just finished it but have a few more titles to read before I vote, picked up 6 Image titles this week along with some of my regulars. We seem to have the same tastes.
    LOL, I think this is the comic I've been waiting all my life for
    I thought it was awesome and voted for it. I have never laughed so hard reading a comic book series as I have with GHA. It is pure genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    I thought it was awesome and voted for it. I have never laughed so hard reading a comic book series as I have with GHA. It is pure genius.
    LOL sooooooo good Even the fake ads were hilarious.

LOL sooooooo good Even the fake ads were hilarious.
    Did you ever read the first trade or are you just getting into GHA with #1 and now #2?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    Did you ever read the first trade or are you just getting into GHA with #1 and now #2?
    Yes I picked up the trade shortly after the first issue, so good.

Easy one for me this week, only read Alex+Ada. I'm not sure why but I never consider it a favourite series of mine, and yet every issue tends to feel pretty thought-provoking. REALLY liking these characters, and there's some very cool ideas at play. Maybe nothing I've never seen before, but it's executed very well. Also read last week's issue of Saga, which was delayed a week here. And surprised me, as per usual. (There's a contradiction.)
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Rat Queens for me(by default). It was good, but like Anduinel, I was impatient for the flashback to end.

What an enjoyable week in comics. I'll rank the Image titles I read from best to worst.

God Hates Astronauts 10/10

GHA gets my vote this week despite some tough competition. This is without a doubt the perfect comic for me, it's the second consecutive issue that I'm giving a 10/10 rating. First issue blew me away and here the followup issue continues the trend. I have never smiled and belly laughed so much from reading a comic ever. Had a smile on my face from the very first page to the very last. A pure masterpiece. This is the breakout comic for me for 2014. Interesting characters, fun storyline, great art, just outstanding.

Rat Queens 9.5/10

I just love everything about this series, Roc's art is always a treat. I very much enjoyed this issue as we got a glimpse at Violet's backstory, saw a little of her past and what shaped her to how she is today. Much like Nailbiter this week, this issue was a change of pace from the first arc. Not every issue has to be full throttle and for that I really enjoyed this. It's pretty clear Kurtis has big plans for this series and there's an epic story to be told. I'll be enjoying every single minute of it till the end.

The Fade Out 9.5/10

Another awesome issue! Brubaker and Philips has a masterpiece in their hands. So brilliantly crafted, I will not be surprised if some network or studio picks up the option for this for television. Expertly researched and Philips wonderful art really captures the time period and atmosphere to perfection. I'd love to see how the mystery unfolds, just a brilliant series so far.

Nailbiter 9.5/10

This title is the surprise hit for me. I've loved every issue so far. Like Rat Queens this week, this issue takes a breather as we get some more depth into Alice's character. It's an important issue as it lays the groundwork for the series going forward. Very much enjoyed it I must say even if it didn't have all the action of the previous issue. I love this change of pace.

Li'l Depressed Boy 8/10

This is my introduction to Li'l Depressed Boy and I must say it's a remarkable comic. It's unlike anything I have read up to this point. The whole time I'm reading the comic I felt like I was watching a Daft Punk video. I imagine if I knew more about depression this title will resonate with me a lot more and be very therapeutic. Ordinary mundane daily activities becomes an adventure as we get a glimpse of LDB's struggles through his eyes. It's quite remarkable what Steven Struble and Sina Grace was able to accomplish. Reading the letters column, it's nice to see how this comic has touched a lot of people who suffered from depression and can identify with LDB. Really good stuff.