Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Action Comics #35 AND Batman/Superman #14 spoiler/discussion thread

Pak you sneaky devil, you deliver the goods again. You guys were wrong about the article like I thought. But so was I.

spoilers:
    He really did write an article to the blog about how Superman needs to stay away. But he did it as bait. Because he knew Lois would see it, get pissed off, and counter it with all the reasons the world still needed Superman. Which was exactly what Clark wanted to happen. He wanted her to illustrate it, not himself. Love it. Lois is great too by the way, but yes her memory of the secret is gone.

Interesting side-stuff of significance later:
    The phantom zone projector imploded during the battle with Brainiac which sent guys like the Phantom King back, but it also swallowed up the menagerie, Kandor and Shay Veritas. With the projector broken Superman and Supergirl need to wait for the Fortress to respawn (heal itself), before the projector along with the rest of the damaged Fotress is back up and running and they can go rescue the them. This will take 40 days.

Lana's parents did not survive the Brainiac coma. While very happy to see Clark alive a part of her is resentful that her parents were among the casualties, a fact Clark understands and that she does not try to hide. She later even admits that she "agrees" with Clark (not knowing the set-up nature of the article) that Superman should go away for a while. This rift will likely be played on more. Also, she and John Henry are officially dating.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-01-2014 at 01:29 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Greg Pak, reminding me why he's the best thing to happen to the character since Morrison. That's just such a great and playful idea in an almost neo silver age like way. It really smacks of something that the Clark from Grant's Action Comics would do.

In Pak we trust, and may we never forget.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

That was disappointing to say the least. By the end of the issue, Lois responds to Clark's blog that Superman needs to get his butt home, so he can see how inspirational the people of Metropolis are as they come together to rebuild the city...

I wonder how those people would feel if they knew that Superman was busy sulking at home and trolling his supporters online?

He wasn't sulking, he was taking a few days off to recharge. Laying low as his friend even suggested. He certainly was pondering things and processing things, but that's not sulking. Dude spent two months navigating deep space to get home, I don't think the people would freak out if they knew he was taking a breather, no. As for the trolling, I've always loved a wiley Superman.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I really have to get this issue. I think. Its clear Greg Pak is the best thing to happen to Superman since Kurt Busiek wrote him.

And now that Doomed is over I can go back to ignoring Superman/Wonder Woman again! Yay!

Oh..that's right. ...Doug Mahnke is drawing it soon.

Damn you DC for making all of Superman's books readable, forcing me to give you my money.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    He wasn't sulking, he was taking a few days off to recharge. Laying low as his friend even suggested. He certainly was pondering things and processing things, but that's not sulking. Dude spent two months navigating deep space to get home, I don't think the people would freak out if they knew he was taking a breather, no. As for the trolling, I've always loved a wiley Superman.
    Ha! I love a wily Big Blue too!

Clark is not the kind of guy to ever lay down. He comes in swinging. He's not a man who lingers or doubts himself. He's a man of action.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Ha! I love a wily Big Blue too!

Clark is not the kind of guy to ever lay down. He comes in swinging. He's not a man who lingers or doubts himself. He's a man of action.
    not in Action 35

Astonishing Member

Ah, Action is back, but I can't consider it "BACK" yet because this is more of a denouement for SuperDoom and didn't feature Kuder (who hopefully has mondo run-time now!)

Pak's characterization continues to be really good, but because it's a fallout issue there's a LOT of touchstones to cover so it's not exactly the best one-issue chapter ever. But I liked how the "possibility of mopey-Clark" could only be a one issue thing as he got back in touch with his humanity and all his friends basically came to his aid.

Still, the weird part of the issue is how it hinted at all these ... well ... COOLER stories that happened while he was "Away". I want to see Baka rescue Metropolis from Subterraneans, dammit! I want to see Superman on a trek through multiple Black Holes that aren't the ones Omni-Brainiac ended up in.

But the potential for the future now that the crossover is over should be pretty well back on track. And this Lana and Steel dating thing is one of the cooler moves I've seen in Superman's extended friends & family in a long time. Oh, and Lois still rocks.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com