Default N52 Superman Vol 4 question

I'm thinking about picking up a few trades this weekend. But I have a questions.

1. Would you recommend Superman Vol 4 or the H'el on earth collection? Looks like SM V4 only has the SM issues, where as the H'el on earth collection has the SB and SG issues. Are they needed? I'd much rather have in my collection Vol 4 if I have 1/2/3, but if I will not understand the story without those issues I assume the collection would be the right choice?

Looks like Doomed is going to be collected like this as well. I really do not like this method of not including the whole story in a collection.

They usually have summary pages explaining what happened in the other books with whatever necessary info you need to know so you aren't lost.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    They usually have summary pages explaining what happened in the other books with whatever necessary info you need to know so you aren't lost.
    I've been told by people who own the Supergirl trade that these books do not have summary pages.

I thought the H'el on Earth trade for Superman was vol 3?

Uh oh. I have Supergirl vol 1-3 but haven't read them yet and wasn't aware of this. Maybe it depends on necessity of it?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Kara plays a pretty big role in H'El on Earth, so I'd say if those issue aren't included you're not gonna get the whole story. The Superboy issues don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    I'm thinking about picking up a few trades this weekend. But I have a questions.

1. Would you recommend Superman Vol 4 or the H'el on earth collection? Looks like SM V4 only has the SM issues, where as the H'el on earth collection has the SB and SG issues. Are they needed? I'd much rather have in my collection Vol 4 if I have 1/2/3, but if I will not understand the story without those issues I assume the collection would be the right choice?

Looks like Doomed is going to be collected like this as well. I really do not like this method of not including the whole story in a collection.
    Are you sure about the trade volume number? Don't you mean volume 3? Superman Vol 4 (Psi War) encompasses issues 18 - 24 while the H'el on Earth collects 13 - 17 + the SB/SG issues. They don't overlap.
    If you haven't done so already ignore volume 3 and get H'el TPB.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Kara plays a pretty big role in H'El on Earth, so I'd say if those issue aren't included you're not gonna get the whole story. The Superboy issues don't matter.
    Hm. I'm sure I'll manage lol. I can't bring myself to ever read anything with Lobdell's name on it again.

Fantastic Member

Hm. I'm sure I'll manage lol. I can't bring myself to ever read anything with Lobdell's name on it again.
    It's not worth it. When you get to Supergirl #19 and #20 you'll get enough recap to cover anything you missed anyway.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post

No. just get the H'el on Earth trade which has the full story. This includes issues of Superman, Supergirl and Superboy. Basically, you'll only get 1/3 of the story in Superman Vol.4 and the H'el on Earth tpb is only a little more expensive that SMV4 (in the UK anyway). The only thing you'll miss is Superman#0, which should have been included as it is a prelude to Lobdell's run. Far from essential, though.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

You can read the Supergirl side of the story and be fine. The story was kind of a mess, but had a certain "popcorn" feeling to it so it's entertaining. I wouldn't worry about reading the whole event, like I said Kara is a major player so you'll get enough meat.

BANNED

I wonder how the trades are after this one (if there are any out) I really need a Superman fixing. But every time I read anything new52 Superman I get put off... desperate times.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Like the previous posters say it's actually Vol. 3 (Fury At Worlds End) you need for the 'H'el On Earth' tie in.

I read it as a stand-alone and it was okay. To be honest I didn't feel like I was missing much by not reading the SB/SG related issues, it scanned okay to me. I wasn't 100% engaged in it either. Action Comics has been far superior for Superman in the New 52.

There's a 'H'el On Earth' compilation TPB available too if you need to read it all.