Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Well...

When you think how long it took the previous team to drop that far in sales numbers, it is a bit of a shocker.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    From #41 at 45,284 copies to #56 at 36,668 is one heck of a drop.

The slide of 15 spots on the list counters the 'everything was in a slump' argument as the position wouldn't have changed, just the totals.

Many people will give a new creative team one arc to hook them (6-8 issues) and a loss of this many issues immediately following the wrap-up of the Finch's first arc is pretty telling.

Do you still think your last statement is true given that Justice League #41 sold 88,713 copies and Justice League #42 sold 81,291 copies? Most people(at least around CBR) seem to like the general direction that Johns and Fabok are going with the book yet they saw a 7K drop from June to July. The Finchs only saw approximately 2K more than that and their loss is pretty telling?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Do you still think your last statement is true given that Justice League #41 sold 88,713 copies and Justice League #42 sold 81,291 copies? Most people(at least around CBR) seem to like the general direction that Johns and Fabok are going with the book yet they saw a 7K drop from June to July. The Finchs only saw approximately 2K more than that and their loss is pretty telling?
    When you consider that it's the first issue of their "New Direction"(New Costume/Bringing A Revamped Rogue Back), it seems like it is. There is no corresponding shift in Justice League.

Yet only dropped 2 spots in the rankings or when you consider the % decrease in audience. Losing 7k for JL in one month is less than 10% of total audience. Losing 9k in one month is a nearly 20% decrease for Finch.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    When you consider that it's the first issue of their "New Direction"(New Costume/Bringing A Revamped Rogue Back), it seems like it is. There is no corresponding shift in Justice League.

Sure there is. Darkest War just started up in JL. If that doesn't equal the "new direction"(which doesn't seem very new to me) in Wonder Woman, I'm not sure what would.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Sure there is. Darkest War just started up in JL. If that doesn't equal the "new direction"(which doesn't seem very new to me) in Wonder Woman, I'm not sure what would.
    It's still the same league. What changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Yet only dropped 2 spots in the rankings or when you consider the % decrease in audience. Losing 7k for JL in one month is less than 10% of total audience. Losing 9k in one month is a nearly 20% decrease for Finch.

Ok then, how about Action Comics #41 which sold 44,083 vs. Action Comics #42 which sold 37,956? Or Batman/Superman #21 which sold 49,204 vs Batman/Superman #22 which sold 41,672?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It's still the same league. What changed?

It's a "big event" for the JL book which should garner similar attention as a "new direction".

It's a "big event" for the JL book which should garner similar attention as a "new direction".
    How?

I can't see an event that has the same "Con" possibilities as a "New Direction".

Ok then, how about Action Comics #41 which sold 44,083 vs. Action Comics #42 which sold 37,956? Or Batman/Superman #21 which sold 49,204 vs Batman/Superman #22 which sold 41,672?
    What about them? DC got slaughtered in July across the board as Marvel continued its line wide Secret Wars event. But compared to WW losing 20% of its audience and dropping 15 spots in the rankings other books that lost ground had relatively smaller losses (BM/SM losing 10 spots in a 20% audience loss). The Finch team has struggled with critics since day one, they just started a second run and had a very poor showing with the Annual and IIRC they also increased sale price for the solo. No one is saying there aren't contributing factors, but it's a bad sign for a creative team when sales drop so much just a few issues into their run ... Convergence interrupting things could also have played a role, but despite mitigating circumstances this is not a good sign.

What about them? DC got slaughtered in July across the board as Marvel continued its line wide Secret Wars event. But compared to WW losing 20% of its audience and dropping 15 spots in the rankings other books that lost ground had relatively smaller losses (BM/SM losing 10 spots in a 20% audience loss). The Finch team has struggled with critics since day one, they just started a second run and had a very poor showing with the Annual and IIRC they also increased sale price for the solo. No one is saying there aren't contributing factors, but it's a bad sign for a creative team when sales drop so much just a few issues into their run ... Convergence interrupting things could also have played a role, but despite mitigating circumstances this is not a good sign.

Forgive me if I'm frustrated by all of the negative Finch comments around here that started since the couple was announced on the book. How many folks around here(whether they started out with a positive or negative outlook) changed their minds once they actually read several issues of the Finchs' run? Plus, may I remind you these critics are some of the same ones who never read Wonder Woman before Azz's run yet later said Azz's run was the best WW run ever. I don't really think critics matter any more after that debacle.

Forgive me if I'm frustrated by all of the negative Finch comments around here that started since the couple was announced on the book. How many folks around here(whether they started out with a positive or negative outlook) changed their minds once they actually read several issues of the Finchs' run? Plus, may I remind you these critics are some of the same ones who never read Wonder Woman before Azz's run yet later said Azz's run was the best WW run ever. I don't really think critics matter any more after that debacle.
    That doesn't really fly once people who liked and hated the last run start to agree that the Finch/Finch run is a mess. Sometimes, the thing quacking is actually a duck.

I've read every issue of the Finch run and wait until after I've read an issue before I ever read a review by a critic. I've also been reading WW since the 1970s pretty much without break. Finch isn't the worst team I've ever seen, but it's been weak since the beginning and there is a distinct lack on execution of ideas. There is also a pretty consistent dislike for this run and it's showing in sales. None of that impacts your opinion and I would not expect it to.

I've read every issue of the Finch run and wait until after I've read an issue before I ever read a review by a critic. I've also been reading WW since the 1970s pretty much without break. Finch isn't the worst team I've ever seen, but it's been weak since the beginning and there is a distinct lack on execution of ideas. There is also a pretty consistent dislike for this run and it's showing in sales. None of that impacts your opinion and I would not expect it to.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Finchs' run is perfect but I do think it's much better than the 2 runs that came before it. At the very least, I feel like I'm reading an actual Wonder Woman book again.

I am curious though, if sales continue to wain on the book, will DC risk giving Meredith her pink slip knowing they could lose David too?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Finchs' run is perfect but I do think it's much better than the 2 runs that came before it. At the very least, I feel like I'm reading an actual Wonder Woman book again.

I am curious though, if sales continue to wain on the book, will DC risk giving Meredith her pink slip knowing they could lose David too?
    I disagree about that as I don't find the characterization at all consistent with WW, but we've had that conversation.

I suspect DC will send her packing if sales continue to slide at a rate like this ... David or no David ... But it's not going to happen overnight. I am more curious as to who they would get to replace her and if they'll move David to another book too or expect him to stay on
    Last edited by Darius; 08-12-2015 at 07:41 AM.