Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

As I said earlier, this was the polybagged Harley variant month. Drove all sales up across the board.

Don't get me wrong - happy to see WW sales go up, but there's nothing to indicate this is due to the story/Cheetah appearance.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    As I said earlier, this was the polybagged Harley variant month. Drove all sales up across the board.

Don't get me wrong - happy to see WW sales go up, but there's nothing to indicate this is due to the story/Cheetah appearance.

I thought that the polybag Harley announcement didn't come until after retailers had to have their orders in? I believe that DC originally solicited Harley variants but I don't think the original solicits said anything about the polybags w/extra art.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not happy - indeed, I would rather see them go down, because it is obvious that DC's primary concern is the bottom line and its only by folks voting with their wallets that you get change happening. You said it yourself G - its only taken 12 months for the current team to drop in sales to where the previous team was after three times that long. Clearly the buying audience is much less enthusiastic about spending money on the title as it stands.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I thought that the polybag Harley announcement didn't come until after retailers had to have their orders in? I believe that DC originally solicited Harley variants but I don't think the original solicits said anything about the polybags w/extra art.
    yes, they already ordered more than the normal for the polybag variants

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    You said it yourself G - its only taken 12 months for the current team to drop in sales to where the previous team was after three times that long. Clearly the buying audience is much less enthusiastic about spending money on the title as it stands.
    I would factor in the price increase. That may have made the call for some readers who were on the fence.

No way and I believing a 6000 increase (18%) was all about a one off story with The Cheetah.
    It shouldn't be all that hard to tell. If issue #48's numbers look more like issue #45 or issue #46, it will probably be safe to say that it was mostly a boost based on a cover variant.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I would factor in the price increase. That may have made the call for some readers who were on the fence.

It shouldn't be all that hard to tell. If issue #48's numbers look more like issue #45 or issue #46, it will probably be safe to say that it was mostly a boost based on a cover variant.

Why would that indicate the increase was mostly about the variant cover than Cheetah? Perhaps it was 50/50 or something similar. Imagine if the Joker hadn't appeared in Batman for 4 years and finally made an appearance. Don't you think long-time fans who maybe weren't buying the book wouldn't suddenly pick up the issue to read a Joker story?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Why would that indicate the increase was mostly about the variant cover than Cheetah? Perhaps it was 50/50 or something similar. Imagine if the Joker hadn't appeared in Batman for 4 years and finally made an appearance. Don't you think long-time fans who maybe weren't buying the book wouldn't suddenly pick up the issue to read a Joker story?
    There were four different covers of one of the most popular DC characters randomly mixed in the bags. Batman fans who don't care about Wonder Woman bought one or more copies trying to get the Harley art they wanted. This was guaranteed from the start to drive up the demand of the book and increase sales across the board. It happens every time any comic offers blind bag anything.

There were four different covers of one of the most popular DC characters randomly mixed in the bags. Batman fans who don't care about Wonder Woman bought one or more copies trying to get the Harley art they wanted. This was guaranteed from the start to drive up the demand of the book and increase sales across the board. It happens every time any comic offers blind bag anything.

I'm not saying that the variant covers had no impact on the increase in sales but both DC the Finchs also said that one of the reasons the Cheetah appeared in this issue was due to fan requests.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not saying that the variant covers had no impact on the increase in sales but both DC the Finchs also said that one of the reasons the Cheetah appeared in this issue was due to fan requests.
    Sure, but I think Gael is right. It's unlikely that a significant number of people who've dropped the book in the last 6 months came back and paid $4 just to see Cheetah.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

People have not left the book, nor would they return to the book because of Cheetah. They have left and stay away due to the current creative team. If anything, they picked the book off the stands to see if Cheetah's appearance was worth picking up and after a few pages realized it was not.

Sure, but I think Gael is right. It's unlikely that a significant number of people who've dropped the book in the last 6 months came back and paid $4 just to see Cheetah.

How about some of the folks that may have been waiting 4 years to see Diana fight a super villain instead of a god from public domain? DC said they got requests for Cheetah to appear in Wonder Woman. Do you really think they were all from Finch loyalists?

BANNED

How about some of the folks that may have been waiting 4 years to see Diana fight a super villain instead of a god from public domain? DC said they got requests for Cheetah to appear in Wonder Woman. Do you really think they were all from Finch loyalists?
    twitter doesn't mean a 6k demand

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    twitter doesn't mean a 6k demand

I don't think DC would put Cheetah in Wonder Woman if only 5 people asked on Twitter and then state they were featuring Cheetah in Wonder Woman due to fan requests.

How about some of the folks that may have been waiting 4 years to see Diana fight a super villain instead of a god from public domain?
    That's part of what I was talking about.

If the current issue(with Diana vs. Super Baddie) drops back down to the sales levels before last issue, it seems pretty safe to say that "Super Baddie" demand is not really what was driving the increase in sales.

Seems pretty simple.

BANNED

I don't think DC would put Cheetah in Wonder Woman if only 5 people asked on Twitter and then state they were featuring Cheetah in Wonder Woman due to fan requests.
    it was a filler issue, and cheetah is the most famous WW villain after Ares. writers are scoring with fanbase, sure it was because people asked and they needed a filler with guest artist so davind will get to main arc next issue