Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That's part of what I was talking about.

If the current issue(with Diana vs. Super Baddie) drops back down to the sales levels before last issue, it seems pretty safe to say that "Super Baddie" demand is not really what was driving the increase in sales.

Seems pretty simple.

As much as I like Dr. Poison, she is no Cheetah and I would highly doubt she has 3/4s as many fans as Barbara Minerva. It's kind of like comparing the Joker to Man-Bat so I kind of doubt that the sales of the Dr. Poison issue will be the same or better than the Cheetah issue.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    As much as I like Dr. Poison, she is no Cheetah and I would highly doubt she has 3/4s as many fans as Barbara Minerva. It's kind of like comparing the Joker to Man-Bat so I kind of doubt that the sales of the Dr. Poison issue will be the same or better than the Cheetah issue.
    Not saying it would. That said... If the numbers look like -

- Issue #46: 34k
    - Issue #47: 40k

and issue #48 hits something like 36k or 37k, it would point to that readers want super baddies. If it winds up around 34k(or less), it seems pretty easy to discount that having a super foe is really creating any sort of increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    As I said earlier, this was the polybagged Harley variant month. Drove all sales up across the board.

Don't get me wrong - happy to see WW sales go up, but there's nothing to indicate this is due to the story/Cheetah appearance.
    It's still a pretty significant increase, even for a variant ... looking back on the handful of times sales have taken such a dramatic increase we can see:

Issue 19 (21% increase) this was the first Variant cover for WW and sales dropped the next month by pretty much 21% at this point variant covers were a new thing so a spike is to be expected.

Issue 32 (more than 40% increase) sales nearly doubled from the previous month ... this was the Bombshells Variant cover which was followed up with the Batman 75th Anniversary Variant which saw a 22% decrease from the Bombshells cover ... HINT 1 that Cheetah helped increase sales IMO is that Wonder Woman herself is the subject of the Bombshell's Variant cover. Azzarello's sales had pretty much leveled off at this point, but I'd speculate that fans who had dropped WW because Azz wasn't for them still picked up this variant cover because it depicted Diana. Prior to this a string of variant covers had done little to change sales on an issue by issue basis (there had been a steady audience of roughly 30k-35k since about issue 21)

Since the Finch Premier there have been variant covers for every single issue, including Flash, Harley (issue 39), Joker (41) another Bombshells. HINT 2 that Cheetah helped increase sales IMO ... Barbara Minerva was the subject of that cover and was the only issue since the 2nd arc of Finch began to see positive sales from the month. At least until this latest HQ issue. Couple that with the size of the sales increase being rather dramatic and I'd say there was interest in Cheetah being in the issue. Again it looks like fans of the character that had possibly dropped the book came back for a new look when they saw a familiar character.

I'm obviously speculating, but there are some small trends here that point to more than just a variant creating interest. Last time Harley was on the cover sales only increased by 7%

This is the first issue to top 40k since issue 41 (Joker wedding variant) with only the Barbara Minerva variant coming close at 39,646.
    Last edited by Darius; 02-01-2016 at 12:12 PM.

never mind you can't see the chart when I post it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darius; 02-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    It's still a pretty significant increase, even for a variant ... looking back on the handful of times sales have taken such a dramatic increase we can see:

Issue 19 (21% increase) this was the first Variant cover for WW and sales dropped the next month by pretty much 21% at this point variant covers were a new thing so a spike is to be expected.

Issue 32 (more than 40% increase) sales nearly doubled from the previous month ... this was the Bombshells Variant cover which was followed up with the Batman 75th Anniversary Variant which saw a 22% decrease from the Bombshells cover ... HINT 1 that Cheetah helped increase sales IMO is that Wonder Woman herself is the subject of the Bombshell's Variant cover. Azzarello's sales had pretty much leveled off at this point, but I'd speculate that fans who had dropped WW because Azz wasn't for them still picked up this variant cover because it depicted Diana. Prior to this a string of variant covers had done little to change sales on an issue by issue basis (there had been a steady audience of roughly 30k-35k since about issue 21)

Since the Finch Premier there have been variant covers for every single issue, including Flash, Harley (issue 39), Joker (41) another Bombshells. HINT 2 that Cheetah helped increase sales IMO ... Barbara Minerva was the subject of that cover and was the only issue since the 2nd arc of Finch began to see positive sales from the month. At least until this latest HQ issue. Couple that with the size of the sales increase being rather dramatic and I'd say there was interest in Cheetah being in the issue. Again it looks like fans of the character that had possibly dropped the book came back for a new look when they saw a familiar character.

I'm obviously speculating, but there are some small trends here that point to more than just a variant creating interest. Last time Harley was on the cover sales only increased by 7%

This is the first issue to top 40k since issue 41 (Joker wedding variant) with only the Barbara Minerva variant coming close at 39,646.

Thank you for posting this. I realize that not everyone particularly likes Cheetah but I think she does have some selling power. Even her Villains Month special from a few years ago sold decent. Will she ever sell Joker numbers? Probably not but I think she'll usually have moderate success.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I realize that not everyone particularly likes Cheetah but I think she does have some selling power. Even her Villains Month special from a few years ago sold decent. Will she ever sell Joker numbers? Probably not but I think she'll usually have moderate success.
    sure thing ... I think it's fairly obvious that a mainstay like Cheetah will help increase sales for a WW issue ... maybe not for a BM or SM issue, but old school fans will pick up a Cheetah issue of WW, especially since it's been so long since she was a regular in the series.

The Villains month issue of Cheetah sold something like 30k issues and was a top 100 seller, about 10% or so higher than the First Born issue IIRC

Honestly, I think it is probably a bit of both. A bump from the Harley cover in addition to a the bump from a stand alone Cheetah guest issue.

BANNED

tha tis because it wasn't a polybagged variant

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    tha tis because it wasn't a polybagged variant
    That probably does play in.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Thanks guys.

No way and I believing a 6000 increase (18%) was all about a one off story with The Cheetah.
    Which no one has said. We are also saying such an increase seems unlikely from just a variant cover. The point being some of us believe it is a combination of things.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Honestly, I think it is probably a bit of both. A bump from the Harley cover in addition to a the bump from a stand alone Cheetah guest issue.
    Which is the point I was attempting to make. The increase is larger than expected from any one thing, aside from a major creative change anyway

Which no one has said. We are also saying such an increase seems unlikely from just a variant cover. The point being some of us believe it is a combination of things.
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but:

- Harley is the top selling female character at DC at the moment and her books are in the top ten. Harley's Little Black Book debuted at #8 in December, and her ongoing title sold just shy of 70,000 issues at issue #23.
    - This wasn't one variant but four (possibly more?) in a blind bag, so Harley fans would have to buy multiple copies to try to get the one they wanted (or collect them all)

No offense to Cheetah fans, but a book that sells more than double Wonder Woman's regular numbers nearly two issues into the run kinda leads me to believe that a chase cover of Harley would boost sales a lot more than a single Cheetah issue.

Not sure we'll ever know, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but:

- Harley is the top selling female character at DC at the moment and her books are in the top ten. Harley's Little Black Book debuted at #8 in December, and her ongoing title sold just shy of 70,000 issues at issue #23.
    - This wasn't one variant but four (possibly more?) in a blind bag, so Harley fans would have to buy multiple copies to try to get the one they wanted (or collect them all)

No offense to Cheetah fans, but a book that sells more than double Wonder Woman's regular numbers nearly two issues into the run kinda leads me to believe that a chase cover of Harley would boost sales a lot more than a single Cheetah issue.

Not sure we'll ever know, though.
    I agree that Harley is clearly helping sell issues, this just seemed like an extreme amount for that to be the ONLY reason for increase

But you are correct, it's not like we can poll each individual buyer and ask!

Incredible Member

I agree that Harley is clearly helping sell issues, this just seemed like an extreme amount for that to be the ONLY reason for increase

But you are correct, it's not like we can poll each individual buyer and ask!
    Wonder Woman #48 32,687
    Legend of Wonder Woman #1 25,047

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...6/2016-01.html
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 02-11-2016 at 07:35 PM.

so...

34,842 for issue 46
    40,123 for issue 47
    32,687 for issue 48

to compare, btw:

41,657 Superman 46
    47,377 Superman 47
    38,106 Superman 48

106,989 Batman 46
    127,201 Batman 47
    100,962 Batman 48

38,976 Green Lantern 46
    45,706 Green Lantern 47
    36,068 Green Lantern 48

58,344 Harley Quinn 22
    69,168 Harley Quinn 23
    44,967 Harley Quinn 24

November was the Looney Tunes variants, December were the polybagged variants, January were the not-so-popular coloring book variants.

The trend is pretty obvious - Much as I'd like to attribute the spike to an event in WW's book, every polybagged variant across the board seems to have spiked in December and dropped to lower-than-November numbers in January.